Tuning Pro Dawgs?
curleytail
Posted 4/3/2009 2:39 PM (#370006)
Subject: Tuning Pro Dawgs?

The new MI Pro Dawgs look pretty neat, but the one in the video on here seems to favor one side when it's ripped/pulled. They have a solid front section joined to a 7 strand rear section right? Can the front be bent to tune the bait at all like you can with other Dawgs, Curly Sues, and Super Ds? Anybody been able to throw one?

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 4/3/2009 2:41 PM
JRedig
Posted 4/3/2009 10:03 PM (#370076 - in reply to #370006)
Subject: Re: Tuning Pro Dawgs?

I was playing with them tonight at the booth, i don't think they can be tuned. The regular mag dogs however, can be tuned and the plastic seems REALLY durable. I'm well stocked for the season!
curleytail
Posted 4/3/2009 10:16 PM (#370080 - in reply to #370006)

Thanks JRedig. I was thinking I might have to stick with the regular Mag Dawgs since I know you can tune them. I bought ONE regular shallow mag dawg years ago, and haven't bought one since. I think I am going to try a couple since they sound like they've really made some improvements. I also plan to get some Shack Attack stuff, and I am excited to get some of Jame's Super Ds when the new ones come out. Any suggestions where I could pick up some extra money? Maybe I should carry a sigh around tomorrow that says "WILL WORK FOR BAITS."

curleytail
JRedig
Posted 4/5/2009 9:30 AM (#370309 - in reply to #370006)

I'm just curious when the stock in the stores etc will be turned over into the new plastic. Lots of the stores still had the old dogs with the soft stuff.
esox50
Posted 4/5/2009 10:09 AM (#370314 - in reply to #370080)

curleytail - 4/3/2009 10:16 PM
Any suggestions where I could pick up some extra money? Maybe I should carry a sigh around tomorrow that says "WILL WORK FOR BAITS."

curleytail

Donate blood or...
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/5/2009 10:22 AM (#370317 - in reply to #370314)

I looked at some of the new Pro Dawgs yesterda too. I think most of the internal harness system from the front treble hook back is the cable system to attach the back treble hook. I agree, I don't think you can tune them as teh main harness is attached to the big top single hook shank. Didn't look like they had a coil system in the rear of the lure for holding on the body once hit by a toothy either. However, the new colors did look real nice!!! Those colors are definitely looking good for 2009. Really liked a black one I saw with gold "drip" bars on the side. Also need to say thanks to Dennis Lappen for personally helping me out and selling me a few Jimmy tubes. Those are bigger than I thought they would be. Interesting tube baits and cant wait try them.
Muskiecut
Posted 4/6/2009 12:52 AM (#370504 - in reply to #370006)

I was wondering about tuning the pro dawgs as well... however; Ive began to switch over to Super D's, they seem to perform a lot better and they hold up better too.

I kinda wish I hadnt spent all that money on bulldawgs, I could have saved money with the D's... Id still like to get my hands on some of the older dawgs though.

And yeah those Jimmy's are huge!
muskymama
Posted 4/6/2009 9:54 AM (#370537 - in reply to #370504)

I noticed you can't tune them either at the show. Not bashing MI but for a made in china bait, why do they cost so much? I don't mind buying china lures if they are high quality but not if they cost almost $30 for a rubber lure. Thought the Jimmy was cool too but again, $20?
Slow Rollin
Posted 4/6/2009 10:21 AM (#370540 - in reply to #370006)
Subject: RE: Tuning Pro Dawgs?

they looked cool, the price was not very cool at all? i didnt buy any as i will glue an try to repair the one i have now and try to get them to last as long as possible.
muskymama
Posted 4/7/2009 10:43 AM (#370743 - in reply to #370317)

James-Tackle Ind
PLEASE make tube baits this year That is all I ask.
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/7/2009 11:02 AM (#370750 - in reply to #370006)

There is still bendable wire from the joint of the harness up to the head. I was talking to Spencer Berman at the Milwaukee show about that because I noticed the favor to one side on the sweep myself, but he assures me that you can lead them straight like the originals by simply bending the front just below the head.

Edited by Sam Ubl 4/8/2009 2:05 PM
curleytail
Posted 4/7/2009 12:00 PM (#370763 - in reply to #370006)

Hmmm, that's a better answer than I got from somebody else working in the MI booth. He said "look at how straight it hangs." "You can tell it will run straight since the flexible rear lets the bait hang straight." Well okay, he must have never tuned a rubber bait before. Without getting crazy with the baits at the show, it seemed like it would be REALLY hard to bend the front half of the bait. Wouldn't you need to actually bend the heavy top hook in the front half to tweak it at all?

curleytail
JRedig
Posted 4/7/2009 1:27 PM (#370783 - in reply to #370006)

FWIW, it's not a 7 strand, it's a jointed single strand. I tried tuning one as spencer suggested at the show, not a lot of room to work with.