okuma induron star drag so tight?
Posted 3/27/2009 6:02 PM (#368684)
Subject: okuma induron star drag so tight?

I have to crank the star drag so tight just to get alot of drag out of it. I can't even turn it anymore without thinking i'm going to damage something. I don't remember having to do this when i first got the reel. I cleaned off the drag washers but it didn't help. I'm not real good with maintanance and repair issues. I'm always worried i won't get it back together correctly. Anyone know of a solution?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
P.S. Is Okuma going to have a rod dealer at the MN muskie show next weekend?
JKahler
Posted 3/27/2009 7:01 PM (#368695 - in reply to #368684)
Subject: Re: okuma induron star drag so tight?

Did you get oil in the drag system? I have a similar problem with an Abu C4, I'm guessing that's what I did.
Targa01
Posted 3/27/2009 7:08 PM (#368697 - in reply to #368684)
Subject: Re: okuma induron star drag so tight?

I'm no expert but just throwing out an idea. Have you left your drag tightened for long periods of time such as over winter, etc.. There are usually spring washers that apply pressure when you tighten the star drag. If you leave the drag tightened they loose some of their 'spring' and shape. Over time you loose that progressive drag feeling and have to crank it down to get any drag resistance.

Just a thought.... hopefully you get some others chiming in here with more knowledge.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/27/2009 8:40 PM (#368728 - in reply to #368684)
Subject: RE: okuma induron star drag so tight?

When you put the drag washers back on the drive shaft did you install them like this ( ) or ) ( that is OK but if put them in like ( ( or ) ) that could be the problem. I would replace the drag washers with Carbontex washers from SMOOTHDRAG, you will have a smoother drag and a little more top end drag. Also clean off the drag washers and do not oil or grease them with reel oil or grease, only with Cal's or Shimano's Drag grease. Taraga01 is right about you should always back off the drag on your reels ever day after fishing or the drag washers will not last long.
muskylog.com
Posted 3/27/2009 8:56 PM (#368732 - in reply to #368684)
Subject: RE: okuma induron star drag so tight?

I too have noticed if you don't back the drag off it will compress the washers.