Saw some sweeeet bucktails that will be coming soon
tuffy1
Posted 3/14/2009 7:43 PM (#366218)
Subject: Saw some sweeeet bucktails that will be coming soon

So I was at a local fish'n shop today to pick up some stuff for the boat. I was talking to a couple of guys (the store was having their spring salmon show), and one of them was a rep for some glow spoons (moonshine spoons for those that salmon fish). I catch a TON of salmon at night on their spoons so I was familiar with them.

Anywho, so we got to talking musky fishing, and he broke out their brochure to show me some baits. Well, turns out, they are now making some bucktails from smaller willowleaf up to double tens with their glow colors on blades. These things are going to put another layer into night fishing. Their glows last forever and they have some sweet color combinations on their blades. Hopefully this link works so you can check them out. I'm not sure when they're going to be available, but they are going to be saweeeeet at night.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.moonshinelures.com/colorchart.html
CheapTrix
Posted 3/14/2009 8:12 PM (#366223 - in reply to #366218)
Subject: RE: Saw some sweeeet bucktails that will be coming soon

Tacklebooty had a couple glow in the dark "cowgirl" style bucktails on EBay last year. They had #10 blades that glowed and also some of the flashabou glowed in the tail. I bought two and fished with them last season. They are the neatest thing you will ever see coming across the water in pitch black night. My fishing partners kept saying they looked like pulsating aliens in the water. I didn't have any luck with them, but didn't really use them for very long before heading in for the evening.

I would grab some and give them a try.

Cheaptrix
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/14/2009 9:11 PM (#366236 - in reply to #366223)

Sweet link tuff daddy. I got to get some of those spoons. Maybe a tail or two when they get out. Keep me in the loop pal. You got my number, use it when you get your hands on some of them.
tuffy1
Posted 3/14/2009 9:20 PM (#366239 - in reply to #366236)

Mike, the spoons absolutely ROCK for kings in the dark. We've put a ton of kings in the boat on the night shift. Plus, the paint they use is rock solid so it won't chip or peel when casting and getting chewed. The colors also rock since it's something different from the typical green glow pattern we're used to seeing. I'll keep ya posted when I get some.
Leesvilian
Posted 3/14/2009 10:00 PM (#366242 - in reply to #366218)

Thanks for the heads up Tuffy1,
That 11"double Indiana in the Golden Sucker looks like a killer !
Dave Williamson
Posted 3/15/2009 6:45 PM (#366346 - in reply to #366218)
Subject: Re: Saw some sweeeet bucktails that will be coming soon

I have used glow bull dawgs and glow number 10's over the last few years but I still have not caught a fish on either. Chad Cain wrote a article in Musky Hunter a few years ago about night fishing , he also said that he had not had much luck with the glow baits
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/15/2009 10:15 PM (#366384 - in reply to #366218)

I rigged up a double 10 with glow blades and glow skirt material too. Put the spotlight on it for a few seconds and launched it....what a sight...darned thing looked like a shooting star flying across the sky..as the bait approached the boat the glow was about 3 feet either side of the bait...pretty wild looking coming through the water....never had a sniff....I got to speculating the fish were probably like, "what the HELL is THAT THING?" and then they started calling each other on their little musky cell phones, "Holy CRAP, Phil...you won't BELIEVE what I just saw...stay the hell AWAY from the rock pile...and HIDE THE KIDS...this is NOT good..."o

Seriously, I like tinkering around and had some fun with it, anyhow.
Bobbler
Posted 3/16/2009 3:28 AM (#366399 - in reply to #366218)

Maybe to much in total darkness but do they work in low light condition, dark water ?
tuffy1
Posted 3/16/2009 7:30 AM (#366407 - in reply to #366399)

I'm not sure how much this will pertain to muskies or not, but I know when trolling for salmon at night, rarely to we get fish on baits that have a full glow charge on them. If you charge them too much, it may take 15-20 minutes for that bait to start producing, so we try not to give them too bright of a charge.

I wonder if that holds true with 'skis as well. Maybe we're using too much charge and it is being counter productive? If the charges were lighter, I wonder what the results would be, or if we threw the baits longer so the charge deminished if the results would change?

The cool thing with the Moonshine baits is that they have different color combinations with their glow, which will open up the opportunities to change from just a standard green glow, which seems to be the tradition in musky baits that glow.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/16/2009 9:34 AM (#366436 - in reply to #366407)

While I sell glow baits in almost every lure I carry/make I have only had a few guys tell me they work at night. I usually tell people to just “charge” a small part of glow lures so you can just see it coming in so you don't bury the leader in your rod/guides. A small glow bead on your leader works well too. (*Maybe the next Stealth Leaders should be the "Glow Bead" Stealth? Ha ha) I think glow lures really shine during low light conditions (morning, evening, clouds) or in murky waters. I have gotten much more response for day use on the glow baits from customers. They do look cool at night when they are fully charged though I have not had any luck at night either when they are 100% charged and glowing like candle.

Just my 2-cents and can't wait to try out these new Moonshine lures!!! Will they be for sale at any shows this Spring?

James

PS-Looks like they have some killer pike colors!!!!

Edited by Tackle Industries 3/16/2009 9:36 AM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 3/16/2009 4:41 PM (#366507 - in reply to #366218)

Rollie and Helens has these baits now.