bucktails?
Posted 3/11/2009 7:40 PM (#365661)
Subject: bucktails?

What are some other big bucktails similar to double cowgirls that aren't so expensive?
sworrall
Posted 3/11/2009 7:49 PM (#365665 - in reply to #365661)
Subject: Re: bucktails?

Probably because they don't incur the same expenses of marketing, advertising, distributing, and retailing the product, or they found a way to make an equivalent product for less, or they are trying to compete by selling at a smaller margin than the DCG's stellar brand recognition commands, or...
Muskerboy
Posted 3/11/2009 7:54 PM (#365671 - in reply to #365661)

You should take a look at figure 8 lures. They are clearencing off a bunch of older double ten models. They make a good bucktail, spanky baits, gerrys girls, and llugens DC-10's.
Targa01
Posted 3/11/2009 7:54 PM (#365672 - in reply to #365661)

How similar are you talking about? Same skirt material, etc.. or just a nice dbl #10 tail? I have DC10's and some of Tacklebooty's tails and both are nice plus they are priced well.

Good luck w/ your choices...
Jason Bomber
Posted 3/12/2009 10:41 AM (#365762 - in reply to #365665)

sworrall - 3/11/2009 7:49 PM

Probably because they don't incur the same expenses of marketing, advertising, distributing, and retailing the product, or they found a way to make an equivalent product for less, or they are trying to compete by selling at a smaller margin than the DCG's stellar brand recognition commands, or...

I think he said "what are" not why are Mr Worrall.

I second the figure 8 big mamas. Discontinued colors for $12 on clearance, I have done well on these, and should buy some myself while they're still around. You will not find a higher quality inline double 10 than a big mama for even close to the price on these.

Otherwise Spankybaits makes some with what apears to be the same flashabou as the DCG, good components, pick your colors........but they are hardly much cheaper nowadays.

And then theres the bucher ones(Mag tinsel). The tinsel looks a bit chinsy IMO but I would be willing to bet they will work just fine. And there under $20 I think. I might upsize hook on that one though, but I might not remember seeing them right.

Good luck
Jason
bn
Posted 3/12/2009 10:57 AM (#365768 - in reply to #365661)
Subject: RE: bucktails?

Gerry Carroll will make you anything you want...I use his 99% of the time and have boated tons o' ski's with them....to 40+ lbs..
a lot less $$ than the other brands you can buy on the shelves..email him and he can set you up with whatever you want...
[email protected]
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/12/2009 11:18 AM (#365773 - in reply to #365661)

When purchasing make sure you clarify if they are using MAG flash or not.

The lighter stuff can get tangled in the clevises causing spinning problems.
lambeau
Posted 3/12/2009 11:24 AM (#365778 - in reply to #365773)

Jim Reuter's "Glittertails" are some of the highest quality bucktails around, using the best components, and less expensive than the big names.

he makes use of a split-ring joint (like Mepps) between the blades and the skirt, allowing you to change them around for different color combinations. buy 3 full lures and you actually have 9 color combos...

he sells a broad range of stock colors, or will custom build the blade and skirt mixes that you design yourself. the skirts are wider flashabou, so there's no issues with them tying knots around the hooks, etc.

check them out here:
http://www.glittertail.com/

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(glittertail1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments glittertail1.jpg (30KB - 80 downloads)