Reservoir muskies
muskynorth
Posted 2/9/2009 8:30 AM (#359723)
Subject: Reservoir muskies

I am finding some huge differences between the natural lakes and the reservoir fish.
1) size of fish 2) color 3) fishing structure and 4)locations

This topic will be my priority for this season. If you can offer any information, suggestions or insight I would really appreciate it.
One of the main things I am wondering about, is whether or not the fish move through the water shed from natural lakes to reservoir or vice versa. If and when they do this, for how long do they stay?

I appreciate your feedback.

Neil Michelin

Almost-B-Good
Posted 2/9/2009 11:05 AM (#359752 - in reply to #359723)
Subject: RE: Reservoir muskies

I'll share my observations from over the years for what they are worth.

I fish mainly reservoirs here in Wis. Nowhere near the size of the ones you have access to but still impoundments. It is hard to generalize other than from what I've seen in water color. The reservoirs seem to have consistantly more "color", whether it comes from tannins or suspended particles. The color lets muskies have better shallow habitat even in bright sunlight situations. I have seen fishing patterns where early season the best areas were close to where the main water inlet was, most likely due to the warm water influx from the shallower river sections above the reservoir heating more rapidly, and as the season progressed the deeper water areas closer to the dam seeemed to have more consistant action. But remember, this is on a smaller reservoir. Unlike walleyes, I find it hard to believe that muskies will move 40 miles or more seasonally even if they have the opportunity to do so. I do know some will move up into the shallow river sections above the calmer reservoir waters when other fish head upstream after the water warms up. That's the key, baitfish. They leave the shallow river sections when the water is too cold and return the next season when it warms again. If your river sections are deep enough for them to use all year, I'd bet the muskies are in those sections all year too.

The fish from the deeper natural lakes seemed to be shorter and stockier than the reservoir fish I'm used to seeing. I have a little more faith in fishing the deeper water structures in lakes than reservoirs but that is gradually changing. Doesn't mean it's correct, it's just what works for me. The lake fish seem more prone to follow but not hit, for some reason. Maybe they can see your lures too well and are more cautious, who knows?