Adding Casting Platform/Storage for Tiller Style Boat
Mak51
Posted 2/4/2009 11:48 AM (#358977)
Subject: Adding Casting Platform/Storage for Tiller Style Boat

Currently I have a Ranger 680T and would like to add an additional casting platform/storage area in the middle of the boat. My primary reason for doing this is that a person casting out of the back of the boat doesn't have much foot room when standing on the side boards... pretty easy to fall in.

I was thinking of building a wooden box which could be placed in the middle of the boat and removed when not needed. Anyone ever do anything like this or have ideas. I am not experienced with building stuff so ideas would be great. Thanks
Yake Bait
Posted 2/6/2009 5:45 PM (#359378 - in reply to #358977)
Subject: Re: Adding Casting Platform/Storage for Tiller Style Boat

I have done some platforms before and they can help to improve a deck layout that you do not like. Couple of pics attached of what I tried with my last boat. Woudn't recommend the contrasting green carpet on a nice Ranger though... The back deck was fun to fish from but was heavy and really bogged down the 60HP motor that I had especially with passengers.

A few years later I got rid of the rear platform and tried a new one on the side (second photo this time with closer color match on the carpet) to improve rod storage. It worked OK but had to move stuff around all the time when fishing with a buddy to get at it so it was kind of a pain. Ended up buying a different boat as it was clear that I was not able to overcome the layout issues that this boat presented.

Putting a platform in the middle might be a little cumbersome as you will need to step over it when moving from front to back. Also, my experience is that when casting musky lures, the middle of the boat can be a dangerous place. Better off fishing as far apart as possible, or when fishign three one on back, two close together on the front so that they can't hit each other with lures.

Construction basically involves cutting out the plywood to the desired shape and fitting together with metal 90 deg angle pieces and decking screws. Carpet can be glued on the wood as you assemble the components.

Edited by Yake Bait 2/6/2009 6:46 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PICT1115b.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PICT1930b.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PICT1115b.JPG (87KB - 417 downloads)
Attachments PICT1930b.JPG (156KB - 113 downloads)
Capt bigfish
Posted 2/6/2009 7:37 PM (#359397 - in reply to #358977)
Subject: RE: Adding Casting Platform/Storage for Tiller Style Boat

MAK51, I have a 680T and have the is issue with casting platform room. I just added a big cooler to the stern area (in my case) to stand on. I got a nice metal one that was sturdy to stand on, sit on and put stuff in. Plus, no labor involved and I can remove when necessary. Duff
Mak51
Posted 2/6/2009 11:08 PM (#359427 - in reply to #358977)

Hey thanks for the feedback. I agree that the cooler idea might be best.

Thanks,
Dan
Beaver
Posted 2/8/2009 1:05 AM (#359565 - in reply to #359427)

My fishing partner back in the 80's was also a carpenter. One day he showed up at my house and pulled my Lund Pro-Angler out of the garage and starting taking measurements. I asked what he was doing, and he said that he was done doing a balancing act while beating the crap out of his rods. A few hours later we had a removable casting deck that continued back from the front deck and had storrage under it that was accessible from the seat where I sat to run the tiller. It was very nice to have all of that extra deck space, especially for the guy who was stuck in the back corners for the 2 years prior.
Beav