Canada border crossing
wkeegobbler
Posted 1/25/2009 1:29 PM (#357118)
Subject: Canada border crossing

Will be heading up this summer for my first Canadian MUSKIE trip and am curious about the regulations on alcohol as you cross. I can't find much on the net about how much duty you pay on each case of beer over your limit. I know what you are "allowed" to take in but our group will be needing more than that. Any help? How much does it cost IN Canada? Do we need to have Canadian money while there or will be ok with American??

Edited by wkeegobbler 1/25/2009 1:30 PM
muskynorth
Posted 1/25/2009 1:38 PM (#357119 - in reply to #357118)
Subject: RE: Canada border crossing

Our dollar is still a little stronger than yours. there is not much of a difference. The cost of fuel has dropped by almost 50%. That could change come the tourist season.
It would still be cheaper for you to bring your own beer, regardless of the duty fees. Our beer is overpriced but GOOD.
You may want to call a chamber of commerce office close to your destination. sometimes they will help find the info you are looking for.
Also, most lodges nowadays, are prepared to answer these questions for you. In the last years since 9/11 alot of lodges have had to deal with changes at these border crossings. Loss of revenue from guests being turned back, has motivated lodge owners to get these answers for their customers. If your lodge cannot answer you question, call another one. Most lodges will help you.

Neil Michelin
Lac Seul Fish Fry Co.
Canadian Heartland Fishing
Host of Cry of the Loon Fishing Adventures
807-737-2246
dougj
Posted 1/25/2009 5:18 PM (#357165 - in reply to #357118)

You can bring in one case (24 cans or bottles) of beer per person or (not both) 40 Oz's of liquor. The duty free shops near the border, usually have 40 Oz's bottles of booze for sale that matches the legal amount to take in. Duty free shops on the US side are usually a good place to buy beer or liquor for export. I don't quite remember the duty amount, but as I remember it about doubled the price of the beer

The current US to Canadian $ exchange rate is .795361, or a US $ is worth $1.25729 Canadian $. This does change some and may well be different this summer. US $ are usually very welcome in Canada.

Canadian beer is good stuff, but expensive.

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 1/25/2009 5:21 PM
sledge51
Posted 1/25/2009 6:57 PM (#357183 - in reply to #357118)
Subject: Re: Canada border crossing

Bill, the last time I took 'extra beer' into Canada, July 08, the duty was about 8 dollars a case. Much cheaper than Canadian beer, and more to my liking. Good luck at the Goon, I'll have to suffer through here in Mn.
wkeegobbler
Posted 1/25/2009 8:13 PM (#357193 - in reply to #357183)

Is there a limit on how many "extra" cases can be brought by each person??
musky north
Posted 1/26/2009 12:19 AM (#357241 - in reply to #357118)

You guys should just mail it here and pick it up when you get here. It will still be cheaper than our Canadian beer.
Apparently, taxes on liquor are supposed to fix our roads... imagine that.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/26/2009 7:01 AM (#357246 - in reply to #357118)

There is some card you need this year too. Not sure if you need it to get through the boarder or if you just get it when you buy your fishing license. Anyone in Canada know about this new card? More Gov red tape regardless of what country you go to or live in
chasintails
Posted 1/26/2009 7:44 AM (#357251 - in reply to #357118)

I think the card your refering to is something similar to a passport, but to a lesser degree. A passport will work or you can get the card any where you would get a passport.
dougj
Posted 1/26/2009 8:47 AM (#357260 - in reply to #357246)

This year you will be required to buy an "Outdoor card" as well as a fishing license. These are $9.00 Canadian and good for three years. The plan is to get you an ID number and with that you will be able to purchase Ontario fishing licenses on-line.

This from the Ontario MNR web site.

The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) is working on a project to improve the fishing and hunting licensing system.  Once these improvements are complete, anglers and hunters will be able to purchase Ontario fishing and hunting licences from home, using the Internet or the automated toll-free phone system. As part of this project, MNR will also be developing an automated licensing system for licence issuers to improve service to anglers and hunters.

The automated system will mean that all anglers and hunters will need a unique identification number.  That is why MNR will be extending the requirement to have an Outdoors Card to non-resident anglers and hunters, effective January 1, 2009.  The Outdoors Card will be required to purchase an Ontario fishing or hunting licence, except for a one-day fishing licence.

Non-resident anglers and hunters will be able to purchase their initial Outdoors Card by filling out an application at any ServiceOntario office or Ontario fishing and hunting licence issuer.  There are over 1,800 licence issuers located throughout the province. 

The paper application will serve as a temporary Outdoors Card until the permanent card is received in the mail.

Doug Johnson

chasintails
Posted 1/26/2009 2:30 PM (#357322 - in reply to #357118)

I stand corrected. Thanks, Doug
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/26/2009 3:14 PM (#357341 - in reply to #357118)

muskynorth,

Last year there wasn't much difference in the currency. However, it has changed a little.

I think you had better check the currency converter. The United States will convert into more Canadian dollars.
$1 to $1.22 Canadian.
Not much difference??? If I lived in Canadian, I'd be happy with that difference.

snaggletooth
Posted 1/26/2009 4:06 PM (#357360 - in reply to #357118)

Q: Do we need to have Canadian money while there or will be ok with American??

Most Canadian stores/businesses will accept your US currency, but in most cases will only count it as the same denomination in Canadian. So, your US $1 dollar bill will be counted as $1.00 Canadian. Using the above-quoted exchange rate, you lose $0.25 on the transaction for each US dollar you spend.

If you can use your US bank-issued credit card, use it instead of cash or converting your US cash to Canadian at a bank. The credit card company will automatically convert the Canadian prices into US dollars and bill you for those amounts. As long as the dollar is valued higher than the Looney, you will come out ahead compared to using US cash. Plus, you won't come home with $X.xx amount of Canadian money in your pocket that is a hassle to get exchanged here.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/26/2009 4:13 PM (#357362 - in reply to #357360)

snaggletooth - 1/26/2009 4:06 PM

Q: Do we need to have Canadian money while there or will be ok with American??

Most Canadian stores/businesses will accept your US currency, but in most cases will only count it as the same denomination in Canadian. So, your US $1 dollar bill will be counted as $1.00 Canadian. Using the above-quoted exchange rate, you lose $0.25 on the transaction for each US dollar you spend.

If you can use your US bank-issued credit card, use it instead of cash or converting your US cash to Canadian at a bank. The credit card company will automatically convert the Canadian prices into US dollars and bill you for those amounts. As long as the dollar is valued higher than the Looney, you will come out ahead compared to using US cash. Plus, you won't come home with $X.xx amount of Canadian money in your pocket that is a hassle to get exchanged here.

Keep in mind, though -- Some US credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee for anything you buy in Canada. Might not be a big deal for a case of beer or whatever, but it sure is a big deal when it's a week at AML with 6 guide dates.

I won't be using THAT card in Canada ever again.
snaggletooth
Posted 1/26/2009 4:30 PM (#357366 - in reply to #357362)

My Chase Visa has not dinged me with a foreign transaction fee. At least, not for the times I went during the past 7 years. But, I did not go to Canada in '08.
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/26/2009 10:24 PM (#357460 - in reply to #357118)

Walmart in Dryden will accept either Canadian or US currency. I don't recall exactly the exchange rate last year, but I did feel we came out a little ahead when the exchange rate was almost even. Although the amount was fairly small, I felt Walmart is willing to give the US a little break from the currency conversion....with a small fee for the conversion.

Some Canadian resorts will charge an extra couple of percentage for using a credit card. I'm not sure, but I don't think that is legal in the US. Of course, I don't blame the resorts as the credit card company charges them extra for doing business. Who knows, the resorts may loose money even when they charge extra.

Funny, but I don't recall any business in the US quoting prices in foreign currency. I wonder how a Canadian feels about going to a Canadian resort where it is quoted in US funds. Do they have to convert the Canadian dollar into US funds to pay the resort???

triton1
Posted 7/16/2009 6:19 PM (#389043 - in reply to #357460)

OK. Lets bring this one back to the top. Gonna be crossing in a couple weeks. I have the passport card and no dui's or any of that. Any new things someone should be aware of??

The alcohol? You can have one fifth of liquor per person correct or am I reading the regs wrong??

Thanks for the help.
muskiewhored
Posted 7/17/2009 1:45 PM (#389208 - in reply to #357118)

Triton, wont be an issue from what you say. alcohol -you are right on that. Have a nice trip, hope the wind dies down for you!