Trailering/Gas mileage
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/19/2009 1:23 PM (#356018)
Subject: Trailering/Gas mileage

Was just wondering if anyone has any concrete data on whether trailering with the console windshields on vs with them off has a noticable effect on gas mileage? I know that with my older boat with the single console, when I went from a lower/wider trailer to a taller one the gas mileage went down about 1.5mpg. When I ran with the tarp on and windshield down, it gave me about 1 mpg more than with it off and the windshield up. Anyone done any comparisons with dual consoles? All my trailering is behind a pickup with a cap so that might effect the mileage too as far as the wind getting at the boat.
MACK
Posted 1/19/2009 1:45 PM (#356022 - in reply to #356018)
Subject: Re: Trailering/Gas mileage

I don't have any concrete numbers, but I do see a big difference in the engine RPMs and the gas mileage when trailering on the highway, at speed, with the cover on vs. off the boat. I get better gas mileage and easier on the engine RPMs with the cover on.

I have a dual console, walk-thru, boat.

Seems the cover allows the air to flow up and over the truck, then over the covered boat much easier than the air flowing up over the truck to the uncoverd boat, down into the bow, then smacked by the windsheild, then up and over that then down into the back of the boat hitting the stern wall, etc. The cover being on the boat, allows for a much smoother air flow...

Edited by MACK 1/19/2009 2:01 PM