Networking Lowrance units
jbmuskie
Posted 1/15/2009 10:56 PM (#355305)
Subject: Networking Lowrance units

I am under the impression that only GPS can be shared in a Lowrance network. Is this correct? I was wanting to share sonar as well, (1 transducer off the transom) but I was told sonar sharing cannot be done.

FYI...I want to network an LMS 332C with an LCX 27C (if possible)
Otherwise, a LCX 27C to a LCX 27C.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Jason Boersma
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/15/2009 11:02 PM (#355308 - in reply to #355305)
Subject: Re: Networking Lowrance units

Yes, sonar can be done. You will need to get an ethernet cable. Once you have that cable hooked to both units, you'll be able to pick your transom transducer or your bow unit transducer. You'll have to use two 27's to do this, that's what I'm running.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054300019772a.shtml
welldriller
Posted 1/16/2009 12:05 AM (#355312 - in reply to #355305)

You will be able to network those two untis together but you will not be able to share sonar, because the 332 doesn't have an ethernet port. I have a 334 and a lcx 28 networked together. One of the advantages is that you only need one gps puck and that you can share waypoints, but other than that you can't share anything else (i.e. sonar, mapping cards, etc.) If you have any other questions you can e-mail me at [email protected] and i can help you out because depending on how old your 332 unit is you might need to get an update from lowrance that will allow the unit to talk to your lcx 27.
The Dogger
Posted 1/16/2009 7:52 AM (#355334 - in reply to #355312)

The sonar readings cannot w/o ethernet, but If you wanted to share the depth reading only, from the sonar, that can be shared. I have the depth from the transom sonar that goes to the console Lowrance, also displayed on the bow mounted lowrance.

I find it nice to know in darker water that when I am running up a break or to shore that if the front is in 2 FOW and the back is in 14 FOW and is only 19' away that I am on a sharp break and I might be bottoming out on the trolling motor very soon, or worse getting up on some rocks.
Shep
Posted 1/16/2009 2:18 PM (#355432 - in reply to #355334)

As stated. LowranceNet the 332 and the 27, and you can share GPS, digital depth, temp, etc.

Using both 27's, you can network with the ethernet cable and share sonar, too. I am not sure if you must use the Ethernet Expansion port, or if you can just cable between the two.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/16/2009 2:30 PM (#355433 - in reply to #355432)

No, you don't need the port. The Ethernet Expansion port is only needed if your adding more than one add on. So, if your looking to add a third or even a fourth sonar unit(mainly for professional walleye guys or saltwater applications) or your looking to add Electronic Probes such as a fuel sensor and other engine related sensors. The Expansion port will allow you to read these probes from all units throughout the boat.

reef
Posted 1/19/2009 10:33 PM (#356158 - in reply to #355305)
Subject: RE: Networking Lowrance units

I am currently running an lcx 111 in back and lcx 25c up front. I have them networked, which is fine for everything but sonar readings. I constantly get the rear digital display on my front unit, even with the front transducer out of the water. I have learned to live with this over the past 2 seasons, as nobody has been able to answer as to why I cannot get this 'feature' to shut off, but I wish I could turn it on or off. I have tried all different types of settings to no avail. One wierd thing is that if I put my trolling motor down and turn the front unit on, it will read it's own depth. However, if at any time, it get's into thick cover, very shallow water, or the trolling motor is stowed without the unit being shut off, the readout from the rear unit will now be displayed. The opposite can and often happens too, where the front unit will start to read the 111's depth right when I turn on the 25c. Any tips?? I hate always having to turn off my rear unit whenever I go up front, to ensure my digital readout if from the front. I'd think there would be a way to get rid of this, unless it is some sort of interference..?.. Again, I have learned to live with it, as it isn't a huge deal, but would love to learn that I have missed a simple setting I can adjust to rid myself of this sonar demon this summer.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/19/2009 10:41 PM (#356164 - in reply to #356158)

Reef, I can't remember off the top of my head how to turn it off at the moment but I will see if I can find out for you. I've only turned mine on once and left it on, so I can't remember at the moment. I'll get back to you once I talk to my Lowrance contact.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 1/19/2009 10:42 PM
jbmuskie
Posted 1/21/2009 2:33 PM (#356440 - in reply to #355305)

Thanks for all of the info guys.
I wound up hooking up 2 Lcx27's.
Everything seems to be working great.
Jason