Pros and Cons of Barbless Hooks
Derrys
Posted 1/1/2009 7:59 PM (#352555)
Subject: Pros and Cons of Barbless Hooks

I'm putting together a website with information on catch & release. I would like to include a section on the pros and cons of using barbless hooks. Have any of you written up anything that you wouldn't mind me posting on the site? I'd appreciate any info I can get. Thanks.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/1/2009 8:08 PM (#352558 - in reply to #352555)
Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of Barbless Hooks

The pros are that the come out of the fish very easily after its netted. They also slide out of your hand better than hooks with barbs.
Cons: the belief that they hook less fish.
BenR
Posted 1/1/2009 8:15 PM (#352560 - in reply to #352555)

I use them on pretty much all my baits...I fish alone much of the time and it makes things much easier for me, probably safer as well...I don't see an increase of lost fish either...I am pretty good at losing them with or without barbs.....
jah1317
Posted 1/1/2009 8:52 PM (#352570 - in reply to #352555)

I have started to pinch down my barbs as of late after I had a difficult release on a 14" fish that engulfed a 9" suick. I did get it out of him but it was out of the water for about 1.5 min maby longer had a real problem getting the bolt cutters down in to get the rear hook out. I have no clue if it made it I am really hoping but chances are slim. I have made it a habit to pinch down the barbs on the body hook on the super d because there is no cutting that one and replacing it. I can't imagine that it would result in any more lost fish than otherwise. Usually I can get them out of the mouth easy but if there are any hooks in the body those cannot come out because of the barb. Plus I know someday I will get hooked I would prefer that it was a barbless hook.

Jacob