Bump Board Colors..
UPMuskyr
Posted 12/30/2008 9:31 AM (#352154)
Subject: Bump Board Colors..

Can anyone give me the color scheme that the MMTT or what the MAC (or anyone else) will be using this year...I would like to be able to put it on a bump board system I am currently building...I have seen the pictures on this forum but can't get a clear vision of what colors are at what lengths...my bump board will be definately different from what is being used now....Randy
muskie! nut
Posted 12/30/2008 10:07 AM (#352162 - in reply to #352154)
Subject: Re: Bump Board Colors..

It doesn't matter what color as long as you know where they are. If they (tournament promoters) were smart they would have different arrangement of colors for each bump board so that folks can't cheat if all the bump boards are a "standard" color layout taking pictures of fish outside of tournament hours.
Posted 12/30/2008 10:29 AM (#352167 - in reply to #352154)
Subject: RE: Bump Board Colors..

first everyone wanted to build rods and rod companies and sell rods then everyone wanted to make lures and sell them now are we going to have a bump board trend where everyone will be making and selling them i dont think dunwright would appreciate this
UPMuskyr
Posted 12/30/2008 1:42 PM (#352198 - in reply to #352167)
Subject: RE: Bump Board Colors..

Thanks for the thoughts/comments but I am still interested in the color configuration on the boards that are out there...Randy

p.s. I kinda thought that I would get a "negative" cheating type answer as you can see in my original post the bump board I am making will be definately different than what is out there, I'm not sure if I will market them so "insert any company name here" doesn't have to be mad yet...Randy

Edited by UPMuskyr 12/30/2008 2:18 PM
Reelwise
Posted 12/30/2008 1:45 PM (#352199 - in reply to #352198)

I just made up my own. Try emailing Dunwright or the MMTT. They were the first to use the color bars as far as I know...
cjrich
Posted 12/30/2008 5:27 PM (#352215 - in reply to #352199)

Consider this.

It would seem that unless a manufacturer has actually filed a patent with the US Patents office, they have little if any recourse against anyone else producing and selling an almost identical product. Proprietary protections without filing and subsequent official approval of either copyright or patent pretty much leaves the claimant out in the cold.

While one may feel that there might be ethical issues involved in such duplications, actual legal recourse is extremely difficult without legal protections (the approval of the patent or copyright). If there is one small (seemingly insignificant) difference between two products, that's all it takes.

Any patent or trademark lawyers out there?

Craig

Edited by cjrich 12/30/2008 5:37 PM
UPMuskyr
Posted 12/31/2008 9:48 AM (#352295 - in reply to #352154)

I have gone through the Patent process and have a Patent on my line of "Release Tool Kits" it wasn't fun and was very costly..so I have some insight on the Patent process...wow...just can't believe all this over a crazy fish...I love it....Randy
cjrich
Posted 12/31/2008 12:53 PM (#352325 - in reply to #352154)

So assuming that I can produce a small musical flute that when played facilitates Muskies over 48" to literally jump into the boat ... and assuming that there has never been anything like this new Musky flute registered with the patents office ... I should get the patent application approved.

However, if the patent office feels that there is a product(s) already registered that is similar enough to the new Musky flute ... then I must retain legal counsel (it's best find counsel well versed in advocating for Musky flutes ... especially my Musky flute which IS different).

And therein lies the (potential/likely) great expense in the back-and-forth when it comes to getting a Patent established (unless there has never been anything like it before). My understanding is that the actual application is less than $500. It's that back-and-forth between the attorney and the Patent office (expense) ... FUGGET ABOUT IT.

Hey; how often is the attorney concerned with how much this process is going to cost the Musky flute designer?

(no insult intended to Musky fishing attorneys ... they will get the benefit of the doubt on this one)

Edited by cjrich 12/31/2008 12:58 PM
jah1317
Posted 12/31/2008 10:21 PM (#352428 - in reply to #352154)

I have been thinking about building my own bump board and I am not doing it to steal anyones profits, it's a simple, fun project that I can do over the winter, make to the exact specifications that I want ( I fish from a canoe) and have something that I can be proud of. It's funny as soon as someone contemplates making something everyone cries about taking the food out of someones mouth but I BET you that they had a very simular idea when they made thier first protype. It's odd that it was ok for them to do but thats where it stops. People are allowed to be innovative and they are also allowed to make thier own things some of us find it fun especially when the muskies are all under the ice.