Warm and Dry
Beaver
Posted 12/19/2008 1:17 PM (#350505)
Subject: Warm and Dry

I just got in after 2 bouts with the snowblower and 30 mph winds coming off of Lake Michigan that is just 1/4 mile from my house, across a parking lot, soccer and football field. I've talked about this before, but this time I'm even more impressed.
In my quest for the best rainwear, I moved away from what is made for us because so much of it is so bulky and hard to move in that you can't fish effectively or it doesn't breathe well enough. I concluded that the stuff made for skiers and snowboarders was far superior. Today was the icing on the cake.
I dressed in pajama pants and a longsleeve sweatshirt and topped it off with MARKER Goretex ski wear. Pants that cover the small of your back and a parka that fits close to the body with rubberized, sealed zippers on all of the pockets, and it is unbelievably easy to move in because of a shell that is fitted to the parka and held in place by a rubberized hem insuring that wind won't blow up your back. It blocked the wind and cold and snow, and any persperation evaporated quickly. I'm telling you guys, if you need any foul weather gear, shop at www.sierratradingpost.com and look for great deals on Marker ski wear and you'll have the best outdoor gear for fishing that you've ever worn. I bought the whole set for what a pair of bibs from Cabelas or BPS would cost.
lambeau
Posted 12/19/2008 1:25 PM (#350506 - in reply to #350505)
Subject: Re: Warm and Dry

is it easier for gear to keep you dry in snow than it is in rain?
sworrall
Posted 12/19/2008 1:46 PM (#350508 - in reply to #350505)

lambeau,
Note the material..Gortex. Rain or snow it will keep you dry, the rest of the performance of the gear ( WARM and dry) has to do with the remaining materials used and overall design, I suspect.

MACK
Posted 12/19/2008 2:04 PM (#350510 - in reply to #350505)

While fishing in the Fall and Winter, I've been wearing my downhill ski gear that I've worn out West in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Canada for years. I haven't bought anything else.

It's always done the trick for me.
Beaver
Posted 12/20/2008 11:15 AM (#350650 - in reply to #350510)

Yes, overall design is better. Not bulky but still keeps you warm and dry. Blocks wind and precipitation. Freedom of movement, especially in the arm area makes it far superior to anything that I ever tried on that was touted as foul weather gear, until you try to cast, retrieve and move around in a boat. I'm saying that if guys are looking for great foul weather gear, they should check out the stuff made for skiers because of it's functionality, and that website has killer prices.
I knew the other walking bull would get it.
muskihntr
Posted 12/20/2008 11:36 AM (#350653 - in reply to #350505)

i thought all you needed was a gallon of udder cream??
RiverMan
Posted 12/20/2008 8:10 PM (#350693 - in reply to #350505)

I could have used your gear today Beav, cold here in Oregon too. We have about a foot of snow, snowing hard, and about zero outside. I am ready for spring already!

jed