Split Rings
WOLF
Posted 12/13/2008 3:57 PM (#349591)
Subject: Split Rings

ON MOST OF THE MUSKY BAITS YOU YOU BUY ,CRANKS OR JERK THERE ISNT A SPLIT RING ON THE LINE TIE IS IT BEST TO LEAVE THE BAITS ALONE OR ADD A SPLIT RING TO THEM.WILL IT CAUSE THE LURES ACTION TO BE DIFFERENT,WILL IT MAKE THE TRACK DIFFERENT ON CRANKS THAT IS.WHATS THE BEST SIZE TO USE # 4,5,6 ECT .............THANKS
Posted 12/13/2008 4:23 PM (#349596 - in reply to #349591)
Subject: RE: SPLIT RINGS

add #7 bucher rings to em.
muskyhunter24
Posted 12/13/2008 5:23 PM (#349609 - in reply to #349591)
Subject: Re: SPLIT RINGS

Are you planning on going split ring to split ring or are you using a swivel?
muskie! nut
Posted 12/14/2008 8:58 AM (#349695 - in reply to #349609)

muskyhunter24 - 12/13/2008 5:23 PM

I think he meant using a snap not swivel.

I personally add a split ring because I rarely use snaps. Snaps are more prone to failure, either by wearing out or a fish opening them up. Most times I use a #7 Bucher or a Wolverine triple ring if the eye is large enough to accommodate the extra ring (#5 on smaller baits like 6" Grandmas and Jakes for an example). Does it effect the action? More likely it will be better for action than a snap as it perfectly round, but in many cases it doesn't matter as far as action goes.
muskyhunter24
Posted 12/14/2008 11:02 AM (#349712 - in reply to #349695)

muskie! nut - 12/14/2008 8:58 AM

muskyhunter24 - 12/13/2008 5:23 PM

I think he meant using a snap not swivel.

I personally add a split ring because I rarely use snaps. Snaps are more prone to failure, either by wearing out or a fish opening them up. Most times I use a #7 Bucher or a Wolverine triple ring if the eye is large enough to accommodate the extra ring (#5 on smaller baits like 6" Grandmas and Jakes for an example). Does it effect the action? More likely it will be better for action than a snap as it perfectly round, but in many cases it doesn't matter as far as action goes.

Yeah I meant a snap. I also go split ring to split ring, IMO the chance of failure is next to none. If something does break it will most likely be my knot not my split rings. I have been using #5 bucher rings or spro rings on all my baits. When you first start using this method it takes a little longer to change baits but once you do it enough I don't feel that it is any slower switching baits then using the snaps. In the end everyone is going to use what they feel comfortable with.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 12/14/2008 6:52 PM (#349793 - in reply to #349591)
Subject: Re: Split Rings

Mh24- You go split ring to split ring????? Best way to lose a fish right there. The sharp edges of each of the rings can catch on eachother and work their way around. Not just a guess. I personally know people this has happened to. They learned the hard way not to go split to split. I use a split ring on the end of my leaders, but I connect that to each lure on the original eye. When the ring starts to go out, junk the ring, and put on a new one. A Bucher #7 of course.
muskyhunter24
Posted 12/14/2008 7:20 PM (#349798 - in reply to #349793)

JimtenHaaf - 12/14/2008 6:52 PM

Mh24- You go split ring to split ring????? Best way to lose a fish right there. The sharp edges of each of the rings can catch on eachother and work their way around. Not just a guess. I personally know people this has happened to. They learned the hard way not to go split to split. I use a split ring on the end of my leaders, but I connect that to each lure on the original eye. When the ring starts to go out, junk the ring, and put on a new one. A Bucher #7 of course.

Well after a years worth of hardcore fishing in 2008, between me and my buddy we didn't have the above mentioned happen once, but I have had snaps open up several times in the past. Its all a personal preference, and as long as you inspect your rings regularly the above should never ever happen.
esox69
Posted 12/14/2008 7:38 PM (#349806 - in reply to #349798)

a #5 wolverine tackle super ring is the ticket...
JimtenHaaf
Posted 12/14/2008 10:08 PM (#349837 - in reply to #349798)

muskyhunter24 - 12/14/2008 8:20 PM

Well after a years worth of hardcore fishing in 2008, between me and my buddy we didn't have the above mentioned happen once, but I have had snaps open up several times in the past. Its all a personal preference, and as long as you inspect your rings regularly the above should never ever happen.

I say it can still happen with new rings. Why have 2 rings? Why isn't 1 ring good enough? If there's a chance it could happen, why take the chance? I agree rings are much stronger than snaps. But just use 1 ring. All it takes is one time, and boom- fish gets away with a lure in its mouth, its mouth pinned shut. You may have gotten lucky after one year, but again.... why chance it?
muskyhunter24
Posted 12/14/2008 10:55 PM (#349843 - in reply to #349837)

JimtenHaaf - 12/14/2008 10:08 PM

muskyhunter24 - 12/14/2008 8:20 PM

I say it can still happen with new rings. Why have 2 rings? Why isn't 1 ring good enough? If there's a chance it could happen, why take the chance? I agree rings are much stronger than snaps. But just use 1 ring. All it takes is one time, and boom- fish gets away with a lure in its mouth, its mouth pinned shut. You may have gotten lucky after one year, but again.... why chance it?

By using only one ring you are opening that ring every time you use that bait and it is going to get weaker and looser everythime you use it, I personally have been having #5 wolverines on my leaders and #5 buchers on my baits. I dont understand your concept of a fish hitting the bait and the split rings magically opening up. Explain how that is physically possible
JimtenHaaf
Posted 12/15/2008 6:21 AM (#349857 - in reply to #349591)

It's not necessarily from the fish just hitting the lure. Putting on a split ring gives a lure more action- we all understand that. It could happen from just the normal wobble of a Grandma. But once the split rings catch eachother, a few headshakes later, and they could work themselves all the way around. Again, I've never had this happen to me personally, but I know people it has. One is a veteran muskie hunter (who has ranked in the top 5 of the Muskies Inc. Mens Masters division for the past few years), the other has only fished for a little over a year. But it can happen. Try this- take your setup with 2 rings, and play around with it to see if the sharp edges where they start can grab eachother. That's how it starts. I understand that every time you switch lures, you fatigue the ring. You may have to replace them more often. But what does a split ring cost? 8 cents? 11 cents? So even if you have to change your split ring once every day you fish, I think it's worth it. Most muskie hunters won't even think twice about cutting a $1 hook if it'll get the fish in the water faster. A split ring is the most inexpensive single piece of equipment we use. Our tackle setups are only as strong as the weakest link. It's the same reason most hunters will use 65, 80, or 100 lb test. Sure, the new guy probably thinks 35lb is plenty. and he might have gotten lucky for the first year of musky fishing. But I for one want to minimize any chance of killing a fish. If a pro tells me not to go split to split, I'm not going to do it. I'll spend the extra $10 per year for a fish's safety.
STUSHSKY
Posted 12/15/2008 9:08 AM (#349883 - in reply to #349857)

along the same lines...has anyone else tried or have comments on the "Norman Lures Speed Clips"? i found them at my local cabelas (they are in their online catalog) & gander mountain stores two years ago. an easy to use (tool-less) extremely strong lure attaching item that gives you the added action of a true split ring but, by design, the rings themselves never lose their tightness against each other! they have proven themselves to me and they are now the only "hardware" i use on all of my leaders with all of my baits!
stan
muskie! nut
Posted 12/15/2008 10:18 AM (#349897 - in reply to #349883)

STUSHSKY - 12/15/2008 9:08 AM

along the same lines...has anyone else tried or have comments on the "Norman Lures Speed Clips"? i found them at my local cabelas (they are in their online catalog) & gander mountain stores two years ago. an easy to use (tool-less) extremely strong lure attaching item that gives you the added action of a true split ring but, by design, the rings themselves never lose their tightness against each other! they have proven themselves to me and they are now the only "hardware" i use on all of my leaders with all of my baits!
stan

I use them for walleye fishing with cranks. But you better have a good set of fingers to open them. Also I like the light weight of these speed clips as they don't hamper the action like a snap or a snap/swivel. Almost as good as the line tied right to the bait.
CASTING55
Posted 12/15/2008 12:05 PM (#349917 - in reply to #349897)

split ring to split ring,snap to split ring,both can fail on you.I`ve had snaps open up in the net when the fish wash thrashing around but never a stay loc snap.To me it is much easier to use a snap than a split ring,I buy extra snaps and replace them if needeed,normally I just replace the whole leader since I make sure I have plenty of them on hand.I once had a steel leader break on me and lost a nice older amma bamma to a 2lb pike,NEVER AGAIN.
jay lip ripper
Posted 12/18/2008 11:36 PM (#350437 - in reply to #349591)

split ring to split ring is the most secure way to go. me and MH24fished all season and didnt have a single issue with them. but we were useing spro and wolvine rings. i bet that if we used snaps we would have had at least on failure. i have had at least one ever season and it was high quality snaps. if a fish is able to open one of my split rings when i can just get them open with a good pair of spilt ring pliers, then i would be surprised. but i will still use them. as for useing two split rings instead of one if you use flro leaders it keeps you from accidently puting a unseen nick in the loop when changing baits. my weakest link between me and a fish is always going to be the knot, if my knot holds then the fish is going in the net. SPRO SIZE 6 150LB on all my baits connected to a WOLVERINE SIZE 5 200LB on a 100-130lb flro leader.
Muskie4Life
Posted 12/19/2008 8:57 AM (#350462 - in reply to #349591)
Subject: RE: Split Rings

I tried those Norman clips and thought they sucked. After sending 2 lures to the bottom of the lake, one being my favorite Manta, the clips went to the bottom of the lake. I bought my first batch of them and they worked ok, bought some more and they seemed to be to soft and always opened up. I never had a fish on one but now I would be scared to think about that.

Leader / split ring / lure , seems to be the best for me. I put rings on all my lures, that way I don't have to open the ring up as much when just putting the leader on. The rings last a lot longer.

Just my experience.

M4L
FEVER
Posted 12/19/2008 9:37 AM (#350469 - in reply to #349591)

I use a #5 welded ring on the leader and a #7 Bucher split ring on the bait. Never had a problem! The reason I use #5 welded ring and Spro swivel on the leader is when I store the rod, I can reel up and the ring won't go through the tip!
Tom