Weight forward bucktails?
Superslayer
Posted 12/6/2008 7:53 AM (#348330)
Subject: Weight forward bucktails?

Does anybody throw weight forward bucktails?If so which is the best.
SpinningLizard
Posted 12/18/2008 2:24 PM (#350336 - in reply to #348330)
Subject: Re: Weight forward bucktails?

Yes, my bucktail is not a true weight forward bait, but close. See pics at the bottom of the post to see a true weight forward bait.

That is what I use mainly because I make them. Having the weight in the front is much more expensive (I use brass bodies), but they run much more true and look more realistic or as real as a bucktail can look. The run flat like a fish and swim down with the hook in the strike zone instead of dropping hook first and running at an angle when reeled slow. Most companies use the sinker in the back because it is much cheaper and they are looking for profits. I attached a picture of what I make and use.

Edited by SpinningLizard 12/18/2008 6:01 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Lake Shak'r Jr Bucktail Bluegill Skirt with extension.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lake Shak'r Jr Bucktail Bluegill Skirt with extension.jpg (82KB - 245 downloads)
BALDY
Posted 12/18/2008 2:31 PM (#350338 - in reply to #348330)

Obviously I can't see the construction under the skirts, but that looks just like any other tail I've ever seen.

Please explain what makes it weight forward...or different than any other tail out there.

There is not a true weight forward bucktail on the musky market. Llungen made the Spinno for awhile, but they have since been discontinued
Targa01
Posted 12/18/2008 2:37 PM (#350340 - in reply to #348330)

You can get the Cisco Spin and The Abyss at Jackson Lures still and that's a weight forward spinner. But you don't find those type of bucktails at to many places.
mota
Posted 12/18/2008 2:48 PM (#350344 - in reply to #350336)

SpinningLizard - 12/18/2008 2:24 PM

That is what I use mainly because I make them. Having the weight in the front is much more expensive (I use brass bodies), but they run much more true and look more realistic or as real as a bucktail can look. The run flat like a fish and swim down with the hook in the strike zone instead of dropping hook first and running at an angle when reeled slow. Most companies use the sinker in the back because it is much cheaper and they are looking for profits. I attached a picture of what I make and use.

that thing dont weight more than brass beads. that look like like every bucktails on the market.those one seems to have real weight in the front http://www.muskymania.com/products/turbine-colors.php
esox50
Posted 12/18/2008 3:25 PM (#350357 - in reply to #348330)

Llungen Lures made a weight-forward bucktail called the Spinno. Surely someone out there still has one or two laying around you might be able to snag.
SpinningLizard
Posted 12/18/2008 4:31 PM (#350372 - in reply to #348330)

It has no weights besides the skirt bodies on my baits. As with most other bucktails, they put the weight under the skirt in the form of an egg sinker. The beads on most baits are hollow brass beads, so the provide no weight, just length, the weight is the egg sinker. If you take my baits and remove the blades, all the weight is still on the front. Even though the weights are not in front of the blades (true weight forward in definition), it is still in the front of the bait, therefore weight forward when compared to almost all other baits. I use two large bodies, so it is over an ounce in the front when compared to only 1/3oz with the other 2 or 3 bucktails that have a body up front, but they still have a sinker in the back too. Over 90% of the weight is in the front half of the bait. I have been making lures for over 20 years, I know what I am talking about and that is why I decided to start selling them 7 years ago. I thought most of the baits on the market sucked in design, even though many still caught and still catch fish. Don't believe me, bring any bait in and compare it to mine at any of the 10 fishing shows I will be at. I know it is only personal opinion, but the only reason I even make large baits now is because I got sick of hearing about the brand names and then seeing the actual quality/designs, not as good as they could be in my opinion. Here is a pic of my normal size bait.

(Walleye LS Jr Small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Walleye LS Jr Small.jpg (196KB - 189 downloads)
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/18/2008 4:31 PM (#350373 - in reply to #348330)
Subject: RE: Weight forward bucktails?

FUDALLY uses 5 hwy nickel / brass solid bodies up front on his D/10-13 & 1oz lead weight in the back for a 50/50 weighted bucktail

Edited by PIKEMASTER 12/18/2008 4:34 PM

(skelton.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments skelton.gif (102KB - 283 downloads)
SpinningLizard
Posted 12/18/2008 4:35 PM (#350374 - in reply to #348330)

At least the Fudally is probably close to be balanced. I would like to see it just set in the water and see how it falls, that is the big thing, especially if the blades were removed. It is hard to get it to fall front first with the flutering blades causing resistance. I don't have many other brands of baits, so I can't say for sure what they will do, but the ones I have and many others I have seen fall and run inferior at slow speeds.
SpinningLizard
Posted 12/18/2008 4:41 PM (#350375 - in reply to #348330)

I do think that design is much better then most. Personally I would like to see the egg sinker gone and larger bodies to make up the weight, I also hope that it is 0.062" wire, definately don't like the split rings used, they are the weakest part but still probably good enough to work, but that is just me and why I make my own baits
CiscoKid
Posted 12/18/2008 5:36 PM (#350380 - in reply to #348330)

Mepps Lusox is an oldie, but goodie. Too bad it's not made anymore. Good for deep water fishing. Attached is a picture of a weight forward spinner (the Lusox) for those unsure of what it is. I believe Moores carries a weight forward bucktail.

(Mepps_Lusox.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mepps_Lusox.jpg (5KB - 155 downloads)
jdsplasher
Posted 12/18/2008 6:31 PM (#350388 - in reply to #350380)

I have been pouring weight forward bucktails for years. I use a power head mold, 1/2 oz. or 3/4oz.
If you want weight forward bucktail components, or just want them poured for you, Reinke's in Milwaukee has keel weighted bucktail wire ( weight forward). any size you need. Just add your hair and components.

Its something that is not fished much. My wife won 2 musky tourneys on forward weight bucktails. Very good bait early in the season!!! Slow and Low!!!
mlure
Posted 12/18/2008 7:30 PM (#350398 - in reply to #350380)

we sell a remake of the original Marathon "Musky Houn". This was the first weight forward bucktail. See our catalog at moore's lures.com
CiscoKid
Posted 12/18/2008 8:00 PM (#350402 - in reply to #348330)

The Musky Houn! That was the name I was thinking of at Moore's! Thanks.

I am sure it's a good one like the Mepps. Between the two you actually have two differnt looks/vibe to show the fish duie to the blades. That blade on the Lusox is different than most "spinners", and sometimes that is the little thing that counts.

I may have to give the Houn a try sometime.

Edited by CiscoKid 12/18/2008 8:03 PM