What is the best multi species lake in Canada or the Midwest?
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/4/2008 5:30 PM (#348106)
Subject: What is the best multi species lake in Canada or the Midwest?

My buddy and I lost one of our fishing partners for next year due to the economy and we want to try a few new things since we can travel light now with only two guys. For this we want to fish a good multi species lake in Canada or the Midwest? Looking for lake trout, musky, pike, small mouth, walleye, etc. Don't care if its 24 hours north of the Minnesota boarder or LOTW. Just looking for good suggestions along with any resorts to stay at.
Thanks!
James

Edited by tacklebooty 12/4/2008 9:09 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2008 5:35 PM (#348107 - in reply to #348106)
Subject: Re: What is the best multi species lake in Canada or the Midwest?

Wabigoon. TONS of walleyes, big pike, LOTS of smallmouth, and it's easy to fish for all. Big muskies, too. Good Lake trout water within a few minutes drive, and a good landing to pull the boat if you decide to. Several resorts on the lake, I stay at Indian Point Camp.
woodieb8
Posted 12/4/2008 5:43 PM (#348109 - in reply to #348106)

had to be lake st clair.
MuskyTime
Posted 12/4/2008 6:42 PM (#348118 - in reply to #348106)

LOTW,

I stay at Angle Outpost www.angleoutpost.com

Numbers and size muskies, great walleye fishing, great pike and smallmouth fishing, crappie fishing and lake trout as well.
muskihntr
Posted 12/4/2008 6:57 PM (#348123 - in reply to #348106)

ive gotten my pb pike, musky, and walleye all out of eagle lake, ontario.
Big fish only
Posted 12/4/2008 7:09 PM (#348124 - in reply to #348106)

Eagle Lake in ontario, AML. Should have my PB out of eagle but I screwed it up. have pike, and eye out of there and so does my dad.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 12/4/2008 7:11 PM (#348125 - in reply to #348106)

Green Bay. Zero doubt. Turning into a world class muskie, walleye and smally fishery.
Jomusky
Posted 12/4/2008 8:33 PM (#348143 - in reply to #348125)

I concur Green Bay and not just by the town of. You can even jump over to Lake Michigan for Salmon, Steelies and Browns, but Lakers are few and far. 50"+ muskies, smallies up the butt, 10 lb. eyes and perch too.
Steve Wright
Posted 12/4/2008 9:22 PM (#348150 - in reply to #348106)
Subject: RE: What is the best multi species lake in Canada or the Midwest?

Eagle Lake or LOTW
Brad
Posted 12/4/2008 10:58 PM (#348164 - in reply to #348106)

Longlegged.
Longlegged doesn't get talked about much, but has every species you named, and trophy class for each. It is one of the original 54" minimum trophy muskie waters, I believe. Neat thing about it is, you will find trout water and stained water all one system. Not much pressure, and only two resorts on this 17k acre system.

Another one to consider is Canyon Lake. Canyon is a great lake for Muskies, Smallies, and Walleyes. No doubt one of the best in NW Ontario for all 3 species (no northerns or Lake Trout). Probably more of a numbers muskie lake, but there are big fish in there.
Stay at either North Country or McIntosh (don't stay at Blyth's). About as economical as you can find at either of these two resorts.
Musky Brian
Posted 12/5/2008 12:57 AM (#348173 - in reply to #348164)

Andy Meyers Lodge Eagle lake done
esoxfly
Posted 12/5/2008 4:48 AM (#348182 - in reply to #348109)

woodieb8 - 12/4/2008 6:43 PM

had to be lake st clair.

Yep. But let's keep that to ourselves.
J.Sloan
Posted 12/5/2008 7:06 AM (#348184 - in reply to #348182)

Green Bay area, hands down best all around fishery.

For scenery and more of a 'fishing trip' feel, LOTW or Eagle.

JS
Troyz.
Posted 12/5/2008 7:10 AM (#348186 - in reply to #348182)

James

I would tell to you to talk to herbie, AML is the place you want, The walleye fishing is world class, Musky unreal, excellent bass, and trophy pike and lakers. Lakers will be more of seasonal thing I believe as far as number. But he has day trip lakes were they play with upper 40" pike, and catch well over 100+ smallies.

Our chapter is planning trip there next year, and Rob Manthei will be speaking about Eagle this tuesday at our Chapter.

Troyz
Almost-B-Good
Posted 12/5/2008 7:50 AM (#348188 - in reply to #348106)

There is no inland lake I know of that can compare to Lac Seul for possible trophy fish. I have seen walleyes to 36"/15# 0 oz. caught and weighed in May and heard of larger ones. Have seen smallies caught and weighed to 6# and a few ounces in summer. Our best summer pike is 26#/46", I've talked to a guy that released a 48.5"er, and heard of a spring pike that weighed 30.5#. I've heard stories of some pretty nice muskies too, 60" classs although I haven't seen one in person. There are trout lakes in the near area, less than 20 minutes by road from Hudson or Sioux Lookout with trout that I have seen photos of in excess of 30# caught in the recent years. I've fished with the guys that caught them and heard stories of much bigger fish lost.

This is big dark stained reef infested water and it takes a LONG time to learn it. The fish are there to be caught, you just need to pay your dues to get them. This is not an area you go to and just hammer big fish, I repeat you will need to invest time to learn it. It is not unusual to cover 30 to 60 miles over water in a single day while you are seriously hunting fish and if you are adventuresome you can go much farther with 100 miles by water a possibility for a one way trip. You better be one hell of a map reader though and always have one eye on the locator as the maps aren't always accurate. There are places where the maps show 60 feet and you have 4 while in others it shows reefs and you have 30 feet of water while a mile away the map says deep and the seagulls are wading. Add to that the fact the lake can go up and down 6 feet with rain or dry periods makes it a challenge.

Multispecies will be your undoing if you want a trophy. You need to concentrate on the one species and pound to get that trophy. Trouble is that with all the different fish available and the fact you can catch them fairy easily, it's hard to stay focused and hard to leave areas where the fish are biting looking for bigger fish. Also don't be fooled into thinking you are going out and killing them every day, it doesn't work that way. You take your beatings just like anywhere else.
dtaijo174
Posted 12/5/2008 9:21 AM (#348199 - in reply to #348106)

Its expensive to get to, but Rowan Lake Ont is amazing. Musky everywhere, Lakers, monster Large mouth, and even these weird looking snapping turtles.
CaptainJolly
Posted 12/5/2008 10:01 AM (#348207 - in reply to #348106)

I have to agree with the guys who said Green Bay! Trophy musky, walleye, bass, pike, trout, salmon, perch, catfish, sturgeon, and the elusive sheephead! Hard to find that much diversity in one area. It isn't in a different country, and it's not that far of a drive from most major cities.
muskynorth
Posted 12/5/2008 11:17 AM (#348225 - in reply to #348106)

Lac Seul, hands down... I am willing to bet all of my St. Croix Rods and my new boat on this. More trophy musky, pike, walleye, smallmouth and lake trout with less pressure. Just my opinion based on where I have fished... I bet LOTW is awesome but I have never really fished much there.

Neil Michelin
Canadian Heartland Fishing
Lac Seul Fish fry
Host of Cry of the Loon Fishing Adventures on APTN
Coach Rob
Posted 12/5/2008 11:29 AM (#348226 - in reply to #348106)

Another vote for Green Bay. Upper Bay in the late spring, summer. Trophy class fish of just about every species. It has to be top 10 versus any water out there.

But if you are interested in beauty and solitude, head north. Door County or the Michigan side are nice, but they can't match Canada. If you are running a small boat I would steer clear of the Bay also.
IAJustin
Posted 12/5/2008 11:33 AM (#348227 - in reply to #348225)

Dont go to LOTW it does not have what you are looking for:
Largest of each species in the last five years out of my boat: 54" Muskie, 43.5" Pike, 30.5" Walleye, 21.5" Smallmouth.....NO Lake trout - so stay away from LOTW

Edited by IAJustin 12/5/2008 11:34 AM
guideman
Posted 12/5/2008 3:46 PM (#348268 - in reply to #348227)

Lake Vermilion gets a lot of attention for it's Muskies but she also has "World Class" Smallmouth and Largemouth bass fishing. Add to that Monster Pike (Many 40 inch + fish are caught every season) and it's Walleye fishery is second to none.

You can portage into Trout Lake with up to an 18ft boat for Lakers that average about 12lbs. Day permits run about 25 dollars for Trout LK
There are 35 or so resorts in every price range and it's an easy drive to location, with more spots to fish than you could cover in
a lifetime.

www.lakevermilion.com or www.lakevermilionresorts.com

"Ace"
esoxlucifer
Posted 12/5/2008 4:48 PM (#348274 - in reply to #348268)

AML at eagle. great rental boats if you dont have boat or if yours breaks down. herbie is awsome muskie guide. all species you listed and quality for each. scenery great. feels the way a fishing camp should. the side trips to other lakes is a nice option. not missing anything...you'd be happy with AML/eagle james.
Posted 12/6/2008 3:14 PM (#348396 - in reply to #348106)

Mille Lacs.
tomyv
Posted 12/7/2008 9:14 AM (#348521 - in reply to #348396)

Wabigoon. So many big smallies and northerns while you are fishing muskies it gets almost annoying.
Cory Toker
Posted 12/7/2008 7:31 PM (#348645 - in reply to #348106)

I think the question was best multi species lake.

I can't think of a better lake then Lake of the Woods.
-Muskies.....There are lots of them and good size
-Pike..........The pike fishing has become better then ever with many fish over 40 inches caught this year.
-Walleye..... The walleye fishing is nothing short of incredible. I caught a 31incher this year
-Crappie......Good population of Crappie with fish up to 16 inches
-Rock Bass......Good population and good size.
-Smallmouth bass........Lots of smallies with fish up to 6 pounds
-Largemouth bass...... Good population and have heard of fish up to 8LBS
-Lake trout......there are several areas in lake of the woods that hold Lake trout. Average size in most areas is very good at around 8 pounds plus. There are good numbers of fish over 20LBS and largest I have heard of came in at 45LBS. Check the regulations as different areas of the Lake have different regulations.
-Sauger.......Lots, enough said
-Perch......Some nice jumbos are to be found
-Sturgeon......Lake had a ton of them at one time. Not sure if there is a fish-able population but some have been caught and they are around.
-Whitefish.........Huge population and largely unfished
-Channel cats......They are in some areas. Head to the Red river if you really want those.
-Sucker and carp.....Who cares

There may be more but those are the ones I know of.

Can anyone beat this list?

Cory

Edited by Cory Toker 12/7/2008 8:24 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 1:51 PM (#348770 - in reply to #348106)

If I was looking for most of those fish, other than Sturgeon and Cats, I believe I'd fish Sioux Narrows, much of the good water can be reached easily from there. I fished the Narrows area focusing on largemouth, smallmouth, muskies, walleyes, and HUGE perch for years.