New Lowrance HDS
Fishwizard
Posted 11/19/2008 11:22 PM (#346193)
Subject: New Lowrance HDS

Has anyone seen one of these new High Def units yet? I was thinking about upgrading my GPS as an x-mas gift, but wondering if I should wait to know more about these new units?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 11/19/2008 11:24 PM (#346194 - in reply to #346193)
Subject: Re: New Lowrance HDS

I would definitely wait. I have not seen the units personally, but have talked to multiple Lowrance Techs who I've gotten to know over the past couple years and have heard a lot of good things. Definitely looking forward to seeing these units.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 11/19/2008 11:26 PM (#346195 - in reply to #346193)

Here you go. Lowrance must have just updated their website. They look awesome if you ask me!

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/HDS-High-Definition-Syst...
Fishwizard
Posted 11/19/2008 11:33 PM (#346196 - in reply to #346193)

Yeah I saw them on the website earlier, but in person would make all the difference. I'm really curious to know more about the "Nautic Insight" charting that is going to be on them. But of course there is the worry of buying the first version of a new model. 2 year warranty though, so they should take care of anything that might come up.
Fishwizard
Posted 11/20/2008 11:29 AM (#346250 - in reply to #346193)

Scratch that, the "Lake Insight" charting, not the Nautic Insight. I don't fish coastal waters. I imagine with all the extra lakes they're putting directly on these units it might make buying alot of the Map Chips unnecessary.
knooter
Posted 11/20/2008 8:18 PM (#346341 - in reply to #346193)

If nothing else, those things look SWEET! Too bad I just upgraded mine this year. Then again, maybe I could move the 113 to the front and....
Pedro
Posted 11/20/2008 8:50 PM (#346344 - in reply to #346193)

Does anyone know if you will be able to link the High Def units to say a older model like a X111 or 520?
Cowboyhannah
Posted 11/20/2008 9:22 PM (#346347 - in reply to #346193)

I really like how the high-def maps look with the shading for depth....but I have to ask.....is a hi def map of what is SUPPOSED to be there according to the mapping software really better than a Side Image of what is ACTUALLY there?

One of these seasons I'm going to upgrade and I'm looking closely at the SI...

Thoughts?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 11/20/2008 9:34 PM (#346349 - in reply to #346347)

Side imaging limits the ability to cover water. You have to move pretty slow for the SI to work from what I've heard and how I understand it. With the maps already there, it should give you the ability to look at the map and help better understand the water, versus trying to read what the unit is showing.

I've emailed one of the Lowrance Technicians who has seen them and has put his hands on the units, he will hopefully chime in within the next day. So if you have questions, ask away, he will be able to give accurate information.
captron
Posted 11/21/2008 5:04 AM (#346369 - in reply to #346193)
Subject: RE: New Lowrance HDS

Cowboyhannah
I looked at and used the new HDS units last week and they are really something. The new mapping takes the guess work out of what you are fishing. You will be able to prefish new water before you get to the lake, just ask Mark Martin (who just won a yournament this summer with the 3D mapping) or any pro that used the new 3D mapping. Lowrance new HDS units is the same difference as looking at antolog tv to HD tv. The sonar will blow your mind.

Pedro
You can use all Lowrance HDS units on last years network, you do have to power the network with a power node not by useing the power cord. You will also have to change the gimbel mount.
Check out the new HDS at http://www.hdsrevolution.com/
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/20/2008 2:08 PM (#350668 - in reply to #346193)
Subject: Re: New Lowrance HDS-Updated

I just wanted to update any of you looking to get a new sonar/gps this coming year. Talked with Captron today, he said the HDS-5 series will be released January 1st. The larger HDS models(HDS-7,8, and 10) will be available starting February 1st.

As Ron stated in his above post, these new HDS units will be using last years networking system. So any of the red connectors will work with these new HDS units network. Ron said both the gps and sonar are like nothing you've ever seen before. These units were built brand new from top to bottom, including better sonar readings, much more detail oriented within the sonar, gps system that will take a reading 5 times a second compared to the now industry standard of only 1 reading per second, so keeping yourself on a certain spot will be much easier. These units are built on a brand new hard drive also.

So if your in the market for a new unit, take a look at one of these new HDS units, I think their going to be pretty awesome from what I hear!
fireslayer
Posted 12/20/2008 2:27 PM (#350670 - in reply to #350668)

I'm a Lowrance pro-staffer here in Wisconsin and got a look at these new units not to long ago and I gotta say they have some nice features and seem easier to use. To answer a few questions, yes you can network these to another unit but you are not going to get HD on the old unit, just the HDS unit. The lake insight charting does not come loaded in every head, this is an extra charge just like the hard drive models were earlier. There is a new LGC 4000 gps module out that as stated reads 5x per second compared to the older 1x per second module, which will much more accurate and take care of alot of that map jumping problem I've heard from many people. No more sonar broadband module because it's built right into these HDS models. The transducer is a new 200/83 khz model, the 83 khz will give you a wider up to 120 degree cone. The HDS models have all have an internal gps that is mounted farther forward right above the face of the unit so you can flush mount these without having to worry about blocking the gps signal. Also look ahead for something else that should be coming early next year that I think everyone will be interested in!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/23/2008 11:44 AM (#351056 - in reply to #346193)

Ok, here is an email from one of the actual guys who help build these new units. Here is a run down about them, thought some would be interested in reading what he had to say.

Tim,
Let me give you the run down on HDS and it should make it all clearer.

All HDS units are designated by screen size, HDS-7 = 7", Hds 10 = 10",
etc. Straight HDS is a sonar/GPS combo unit, letter designations "M" is
mapping only, "X" sonar only, therefore you would not have a HDS-7x with
insight mapping.

"INSIGHT" mapping is the replacement for current mapping. Lake insight
replaces our hotspots contours, Nautic insight is our salt water series,
and INSIGHT USA is a unit with both. This mapping is the new high
detail shaded relief, and increased detail or lower level mapping may be
available later on pre-programmed card. Navionics is currently writing
the code to make HDS compatible with Platinum as well as Platinum +
(PLUS) mapping cards available from them.

As far as sonar performance, all of these HDS sonar models include the
built in BroadBand sounder, so allof the benefits, options and
performance of the LBS-1 is built into these units. On the water
performance so far has been exceptional.
JRedig
Posted 12/23/2008 1:39 PM (#351152 - in reply to #346193)

I wonder if they'll flash over shallow structure....
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/23/2008 1:43 PM (#351157 - in reply to #351152)

They don't flash over shallow structure if your unit is set right and you know how to use it properly. But to answer your question, they have added a new feature that includes a 83khz operation to a Lowrance 200 kHz single-frequency transducer. At 83 kHz, you get full 120-degrees of wide-angle coverage with greatly enhanced definition and separation of fish arch targets from structure and in thermoclines.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Library/What-is-HDS/

Edited by Merckid 12/23/2008 1:54 PM
archerynut36
Posted 12/23/2008 4:37 PM (#351227 - in reply to #346193)

gosh i couldnt even guess what they will want for those units... man they make my x15's look like dino's....bill
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/23/2008 5:09 PM (#351233 - in reply to #351227)

Price is no different in comparison to the units now. So the HDS-10 is similar in price to the LCX-113, the HDS-8 compares to the current LCX-38 and so on down.
BuckeyeMuskie
Posted 12/23/2008 6:24 PM (#351241 - in reply to #351233)

they will actually cost about two hundred additional dollars over previous years models. However you are getting the broadband sounder included. The antenna is internal and will shoot thru hard tops or bimini tops. There will be a external 5 hz antenna available. This antenna is the only true 5 hz antenna available for recreational gps. The 5 hz will also work with the last generation lowrance. These new units will work with your exsisting last gen. transducers also. You will need a new gimbal mount but hole patterns are the same. There is no hard drive any longer, the machines consist of flash drives. The card reader door is magnetic no longer a screw. Lots of cool stuff. Like switching from a pc to a MAC product!
BuckeyeMuskie
Posted 12/24/2008 9:25 AM (#351319 - in reply to #346193)

They will still fix those units mentioned. The new units were developed a while ago. They have had some in the field for 18 months or better now. And to answere your question not all lakes are going to be better but they did remap some lakes.
veha45
Posted 12/24/2008 9:38 AM (#351322 - in reply to #351319)

Lowrance doesn't map lakes, Lakemaster does and puts out a chip in parntership with Lowrance.

The website for Lowrance states that these maps are "contour shading" which doesn't mean new info, just a nicer map to look at. Think of the Lakemaster paper maps, except these lakes will not be surveyed. Lake insight which is inland lakes, is promoting hotspots maps, not the lakemaster hi def stuff. You still will have to buy the chip to get hi def, which is what we want. To me this means you are getting a 3dish looking hotspots map along with Dnr maps being the rest. Some of the stuff is really cool for lakes like Lake Fork in Texas where you are basically running channels so you don't hit trees, but for most of the stuff we do you still want the chip.

The Nautic Insight, is probably using the same info as the Nautic Path option on the current HD models, which is really cool technology if you are fishing the Great lakes or ocean, but it has nothing for inland waters.

Like it was stated above these are extras
tuffy1
Posted 12/24/2008 10:03 AM (#351326 - in reply to #351322)

Man, I'm in the market for a new locator this year, thought I knew what I was getting, but now I have a decision to make. Thanks alot guys!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/24/2008 12:06 PM (#351342 - in reply to #346193)

If you want more info on the HDS units, watch this clip and take a look at these two links.

Video clip:
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Library/What-is-HDS/

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/HDS-High-Definition-Syst...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/24/2008 12:08 PM (#351344 - in reply to #346193)

Plunker - 12/24/2008 8:54 AM

So this is the reason why Lowrance won't address the issues they have with the 110, 111, 112, and 113 and a bunch I'm forgetting. They've been too busy designing they're latest and greatest. There is no reason why those units should have problems over shallow water weeds, and don't tell me I don't know how to use the features on a graph.

Plunker,

If your having issues with your units, take a look at this thread. Read what Sworrall wrote in the first post. Any questions, you can PM me and I'll see what I can do to help. But take a look at this thread.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=44...
sworrall
Posted 12/24/2008 12:33 PM (#351347 - in reply to #346193)

Plunker,
Lowrance IS addressing issues as are we to the best of our ability. Read up, send TJ and PM questions you might have, and he'll get with his Lowrance tech contact to see if we can supply answers for you; IF the answers you are looking for haven't already been posted.

veha45
Posted 12/24/2008 12:38 PM (#351351 - in reply to #351347)

There is also a new Beta version of software update that Lowrance designed specificlly for the units that were having issues reading in shallow water even after you selected the correct sonar settings. It just came out in the end of October so I can't tell you how it works, but that is what it is for.

Here is the link for Lowrance product software downloads

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Product-Software-Updates/
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/24/2008 12:57 PM (#351354 - in reply to #351351)

Yes, they did come out with a Beta version, it's actually 2.4.2, but it is still only Beta version. So it may not have all the kinks worked out of it. I've been running the 2.4 version and it's been awesome. I've had readings in the thickest of weeds and or rock and had depth readings of 0.9 ft. With the 2.4 version, their are no settings you should have to set. They corrected the default issues that were in the 2.3 version.

Anyhow, let's keep this thread to HDS questions. Issues with units please PM me and I'll do what I can to get questions answered from a Lowrance Tech. Otherwise, call this number 1-800-324-1356, believe it or not, they do help. But let's keep this thread HDS related.
horsehunter
Posted 3/22/2013 10:48 AM (#628999 - in reply to #346193)

Have the HDS Gen 2 addressed the transducer and shallow water weed problems. My current depthfinder Eagle 642c IGPS has been a unit from hell shallow water problems, 3 transducers, 3 soft reboots, I hard reboot (lost all way points ) Now I cant download waypoints from the machine says I have but there is nothing there. would switch to a Bird but I don't think they have much in the way of mapping for Canadian inland lakes. Any opinions on Garmin
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2013 1:31 PM (#629017 - in reply to #346344)

Pedro - 11/20/2008 8:50 PM Does anyone know if you will be able to link the High Def units to say a older model like a X111 or 520?

To answer this specific question only;

The older 111, 112, and 113 units do not link with any of the newer HDS units after them.

mskyhntr
Posted 3/22/2013 3:10 PM (#629030 - in reply to #346193)

Describe linked? Waypoints? Structure scan? I have a 110 on the bow, a hds 10 gen 2 in the back with structure scan. They can share waypoints,trails,GPS antenna, and share screen backlight. This is how mine is set up. You cannot share structure/downscan,map chips,and maybe transducers but I'm not 100%, I'm using 2 at the moment.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2013 3:49 PM (#629034 - in reply to #629030)

mskyhntr - 3/22/2013 3:10 PM Describe linked? Waypoints? Structure scan? I have a 110 on the bow, a hds 10 gen 2 in the back with structure scan. They can share waypoints,trails,GPS antenna, and share screen backlight. This is how mine is set up. You cannot share structure/downscan,map chips,and maybe transducers but I'm not 100%, I'm using 2 at the moment.

This is kind of interesting because I couldn't get my Gen1 HDS to share waypoints/trails with the 113 (both at the helm), or the 113 to share with the other Gen1 HDS 10 I have in the bow.  The 2 HDS 10’s shared information no problem so I know everything was hooked up and working okay. When I asked about it, I was told the HDS and 113 would not share waypoints/trails so I just let it go.  

I believe what you're saying and doubt a difference between the Gen 1-2, so it's actually good news to me if I can have all three units share that information... just need to figure out why mine don't link and how to correct it.  No antenna other than the internal HDS... nice!

4amuskie
Posted 3/22/2013 3:58 PM (#629036 - in reply to #629030)

The 112 and 113 have Ethernet ports and will share sonar, waypoints ect with an HDS. They will not share structure however. Anything older will only share waypoints via NMEA 0183 or 2000, however waypoints are only shared when they are entered. If you have a older unit with waypoints already on it the only way you can transfer them is to download them to a chip and upload them from the chip to the second unit.
The HDS units share via Ethernet and all that is needed is to plug the Ethernet between the 2. HDS units share everything except trails and maps.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2013 4:21 PM (#629042 - in reply to #629036)

4amuskie - 3/22/2013 3:58 PM The 112 and 113 have Ethernet ports and will share sonar, waypoints ect with an HDS. They will not share structure however. Anything older will only share waypoints via NMEA 0183 or 2000, however waypoints are only shared when they are entered. If you have a older unit with waypoints already on it the only way you can transfer them is to download them to a chip and upload them from the chip to the second unit. The HDS units share via Ethernet and all that is needed is to plug the Ethernet between the 2. HDS units share everything except trails and maps.

It's been a while but I’d guess that after getting everything hooked up I thought that the icons from the 113 would automatically transfer to the HDS and vice versa. After being told  they would not share back then, (I was not happy) I remember having to convert the 113 icons on a website so that the HDS would accept them, and then I just moved on from there by entering the waypoints in the linked helm or bow HDS units.

I'll have to play around with it some more, and this may change how I use and configure my boats electronics for this year. Thanks!  

4amuskie
Posted 3/22/2013 5:35 PM (#629052 - in reply to #629042)

Jerry, The icons do transfer but you need to download them to a chip and upload them on HDS. The formats are different but the HDS will recognize them all. If you transferred to a LMS or LCX from the HDS you would need the appropriate format.
Icons or waypoints are not transferred on the NMEA system. Only Ethernet. They are shared at time of entry via NMEA. A lot of this info is on Lowrances website or via our friend Google.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/23/2013 12:16 PM (#629189 - in reply to #629052)

Okay, I got this covered then because my main problem was the “saved” icons (bingo... some of them date back to the X-15) and the only way I could access them with the HDS units was by converting them online. My situation is somewhat unique in that I do a lot of fishing using those saved icons, and hate the converted icons when they become numbered waypoints... maybe you figured out a way to get rid of the way-point numbers, but I couldn't. 

After reevaluating, it really doesn't matter to my somewhat unique situation because I'm pretty comfortable having the two units at the helm now with the 113 handling the 2d sonar/navigation, and the HDS handling the 3d down/side scan & weather. If I decide to cast using the old icons, it’s easy to putt through the area with the bow unit on recording a different color trail.

Anyway, thanks for explaining this Jim, you're a wealth of information on several fronts… pretty hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since we last talked in person in Pack Bay. Where does the time go?

4amuskie
Posted 3/23/2013 7:20 PM (#629267 - in reply to #629189)

It goes fast Jerry that's for sure. I am not sure about this but I have just purchased insight planner from Lowrance and you can manage all your waypoints and Icons on it. Also can put 2010 and up year Navionics maps and some other stuff. Might be worth looking into for messing with your waypoints, routes, and trails. Navionics has a program too and you can also go on EASYGPS and do it. Check it out while your waiting for open water
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/25/2013 9:20 AM (#629561 - in reply to #629267)

I'd like to have my boats electronics be the latest/greatest but learning and keeping up with it starts to become more work than play sometimes eh'. Oh, and let's not forget about the $... yikes, over 3k for that 12" screen ain't happening here!

I'll have to take a peek at that software, then maybe I'll start a different thread with more questions than answers.