Canadian Esox Eagle Lake outing
Cory Toker
Posted 10/21/2008 11:22 AM (#341686)
Subject: Canadian Esox Eagle Lake outing

Our local club held an outing at Eagle lake Oct 16, 17, 18, and 19th. The Accomodations at Ceder Point lodge were amazing as well as the fishing. We got out Friday morning. The first day we fished the West arm. Raised lots of big fish but no takers. On Saturday we raised 4 fish including a fish over 50 that I fell asleep on. To much drinking the night before. LOL. Ended up getting a 41 incher. On Sunday the bite turned on. I landed a fat 47 incher on a reef hog and my partners got a 48 and a 46 incher on jakes. Also got one bonus 41 inch pike. Thanks to Ceder point lodge and the executive of the Canadian Esox Association for putting on a great trip.

Edited by Cory Toker 10/21/2008 11:39 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0246.jpg)

(IMG_0248.jpg)

(IMG_0256.jpg)

(IMG_0257.jpg)

(IMG_0252.jpg)

(IMG_0258.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0246.jpg (171KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0248.jpg (176KB - 112 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0256.jpg (185KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0257.jpg (176KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0252.jpg (143KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0258.jpg (193KB - 110 downloads)
lambeau
Posted 10/21/2008 11:29 AM (#341687 - in reply to #341686)
Subject: Re: Canadian Esox Eagle Lake outing

i've stayed at Cedar Point Lodge on Eagle three different times, it's a very nice resort owned/run by a great family.
50inchGrinch
Posted 10/21/2008 7:17 PM (#341775 - in reply to #341686)

This was my first time on Eagle and all I can say is wow. What a cool lake! Incredibly different from LOTW. Seen some really good fish and some amazing structure. Cedar point was great. The Eagles Nest cabin rocks! Can't wait to go back.

Also glad to see the club has really evolved over the past couple years. Everyone is really getting on board with proper etiquette and release procedures. Of the two get togethers I've been to, both have been a fantastic time! The organizers deserve a big pat on the back for their efforts. Everything runs sooooo smooth....except for the morning wake-ups! The years to come should be some of the best for the club.

Thanks to everyone!

Darcy Cox

Ps- Now that I look, I notice my 48 looks like it has a bend in her at the base of her head...thought she looked kinda funny in the boat.

Edited by 50inchGrinch 10/21/2008 7:23 PM
Cowboyhannah
Posted 10/21/2008 9:31 PM (#341798 - in reply to #341775)

Have been to LOTW a few times and have loved it. You say Eagle is totally different...how so....just curious as I've been considering a trip up there.

Thanks,
jonnysled
Posted 10/21/2008 10:27 PM (#341809 - in reply to #341686)

eagle isn't the easy button, you definitely have to work to make sure you know spots and put the boat in the right place to fish it but if you've got shield lake experience and don't struggle with navigation and fishing spots correctly then you should see a difference between eagle and lotw. fish come in and off of spots continually and you see multiples and different fish using spots throughout the day and week. i have seen guys do poorly when others did well and it's usually because they get intimidated and go fish unproductive water to avoid the risk of working some other spots, or they start throwing their tacke box or hot-bait program at fish instead of what they are told is working by local knowledge ... because they might uncover some "secret".

i fished lotw for 8 or 9 years and we were successful ... a good year was finding 3 to 5 4-footers over the period of the week and hopefully early enough in the week to get a shot at one. when a guy got a 50 it was a big deal. i've been to eagle now 4 years and have yet to come home without being in the boat with a 50 in the net ... what i experienced in a good week at lotw can happen in a day on eagle. the size, quality and consistency of big fish coming at you can be ridiculous and "big" is redefined for you (there can be tough times of-course) ... but, if you can't work a fish at the boat and juice her to trigger then you won't catch many fish. 80% ... nah, 90% of the fish we've caught at eagle are at boatside. there is noplace else i would ever want to travel to than eagle lake ....

in the 4 years i've gone there i've thrown a grand total of 3 baits (natural pike raider, tennessee shad grandma, christmas tree-smoke spanky). if the fish are there ... they're coming out and then it's up to you and as you gain confidence on that water it gets really fun.

i've seen 2 that would qualify as the queen of the lake ... the two guys who brought them to the boat will have nightmares and i'm sure will be able to replay the video in their minds for the rest of their lives

we've stayed at andy meyers lodge and i've learned from herbie, cal, mikie, rob manthei, corey painter and craig eversol and i feel privaledged to be able to learn so much in a short time. if you go aml is a must be place for the knowledge, support and work they provide to help you get on fish starting right away ... the only thing you have to do is listen. it's not a guarantee by any stretch but if you go there and put in the work and effort your chances of having the best trip of your life is pretty good.

you probably won't return to lotw ... i know i won't.
Musky Brian
Posted 10/21/2008 11:29 PM (#341814 - in reply to #341809)

I agree with everything you guys say about Eagle and AML

One question...In one of the pics I notice a bridge. Where the heck is that?? Were you guys way down in Osbourne or something? I wasn't aware there was such a thing on Eagle....That must be a long hike from the lodge?
50inchGrinch
Posted 10/21/2008 11:31 PM (#341815 - in reply to #341686)

For me the whole lake just seemed to be set up different. Whether it be the fish and how they're setup, diversity of water clarity, the up and down fingery bottom, the amount and type of weeds, or just the scenery, it is different.

We didn't see the type of success Johny has seen, but for my first time and Cory's third with only three days of fishing (didn't arrive till friday), I'd say it was a success. Will I pass by Lotw and drive the extra 2 hour to Eagle from now on??....no. I've seen and caught fish in the big lake that impress me as much as any Eagle pic I've seen. Lotw is 2 hours away also so it's hard to pass up. Whether I would catch as many over 50 is the question I guess.

Darcy Cox
50inchGrinch
Posted 10/21/2008 11:34 PM (#341816 - in reply to #341686)

Brain.....shhhhh!!!! lol! 40m.

Edited by 50inchGrinch 10/21/2008 11:39 PM
Musky Brian
Posted 10/22/2008 12:13 AM (#341822 - in reply to #341816)

I mean....what bridge?? lol
jonnysled
Posted 10/22/2008 7:14 AM (#341829 - in reply to #341686)

i saw the bridge pic and scratched my head too? .... gotta be osborne area cause i think i've seen all the rest of the lake from one vantage point or another ...
C.Painter
Posted 10/22/2008 7:46 AM (#341836 - in reply to #341829)

If you want to hide a spot...that bridge is about as much of an obvious sign as any...since its the only bridge I know of on Eagle...and its down near osborne bay...

Got to love Eagle :-))
Congrats boys..that is good for this time of year especially....fall can be TOUGHH up there....

Cory
Hooper21
Posted 10/22/2008 8:27 AM (#341847 - in reply to #341686)
Subject: RE: Canadian Esox Eagle Lake outing

Sled,

I suspect that I am one of the guys who brought the "Queen of the Lake" up the boat from your post.

It was all that and more. I would appreciated seeing that fish come in whether it was on my bait or Sled's, but the feeling that is still in my stomach on seeing that fish slide off after one turn is still with me today.

There has not been a day since that trip that I haven't heard our guide's voice in my head saying "oh Ricky, she's a dandy!".

jonnysled
Posted 10/22/2008 11:34 AM (#341888 - in reply to #341686)

yup ... Hoop's had an experience that's even rare on that lake ... standing there with my jaw wide open watching it was enough ... can't imagine what was going on in ricky's mind. WOW!! i may never see a fish like that ever again ... it makes "big" even bigger than i thought possible and truly change thoughts on what a true giant really is ... very, very, very rare and special. holy cow, goose bumps here and now just thinking about it again.
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 10/22/2008 1:32 PM (#341919 - in reply to #341686)

I've been to LOTW and Eagle and you can't go wrong with either.
Chas
Posted 10/22/2008 2:01 PM (#341926 - in reply to #341829)

jonnysled - 10/22/2008 7:14 AM

i saw the bridge pic and scratched my head too? .... gotta be osborne area

LOL, That is a haul from where you were staying. Once you get across the "big water" that's still quite a cruise down the bear narrows! You got to love that big spaypainted "April Fools 81" & Dryden Rocks" on the bridge as you come around the coner. Congrats on a nice trip & beautiful fish!

My dad has been up there since the 11th & comes home on the 26th. (lucky sucker) LOL! He shot a bull yesterday afternoon, and said the fishing has been on fire! I guess when you're up there for 2 weeks on a Moose hunting/ fishing trip, you will have some time to put some patterns together. The back of Nivens was really good for him.

Sorry for the long winded comment, I just had to laugh when I saw the bridge. Again, nice fish!!

Chas

Chas
Posted 10/22/2008 2:17 PM (#341933 - in reply to #341686)

Also, did you see any hunters out there?
KSauers
Posted 10/22/2008 5:44 PM (#341966 - in reply to #341933)

If I were voting I'd vote for Eagle and AML. First time there this year after going somewhere else the last 10 years. 3 days musky fishing and 2 walleye. We got about 200 eyes in those 2 days with the biggest 28 inches. As for the muskies ,the boat had 50 follows for the 3 days. 10 were over 50 with the biggest 54. It was caught the next day off the same spot with the same guide. Completely differant fishing than I'm used to were I usaually go but the size of the fish...............
50inchGrinch
Posted 10/22/2008 5:45 PM (#341968 - in reply to #341686)

Yep, a few. Probably spotted a half doz hunting boats. Camp had about the same or a couple more.

The fish by the bridge was just a little dinker guys! No point in driving that far.

Darcy Cox
Musky Brian
Posted 10/22/2008 9:37 PM (#342011 - in reply to #341968)

Looks like my gas bill is going to be a little higher next year
Cowboyhannah
Posted 10/22/2008 9:51 PM (#342016 - in reply to #341686)

Thanks for the replies, I've done V the past two years....seeing so MANY big fish on the rocks under the midday sun makes me want to give it at least one more chance...haven't tagged a real big lady, but have come soooo close a couple times....I DO miss the scenery of Canadian shield experience with the seclusion and fish that just keep coming back to the boat...you can actually 'work' a fish with decent success...I'll have to balance the excitement of getting on new water...EL against the value of having developed a good number of productive spots on LOTW...I find that it's easy to get 'married' to a lake after having committed the time to develop good spots...it's not easy to 'start over' again on new water. Without a doubt I'll make it up to EL, just have to figure out how to justify not returning to my developed spots on LOTW...Thanks for the input.
Ifishskis
Posted 10/23/2008 8:24 AM (#342043 - in reply to #341687)

lambeau - 10/21/2008 11:29 AM

i've stayed at Cedar Point Lodge on Eagle three different times, it's a very nice resort owned/run by a great family.

I went to Eagle 13 something years in a row during the 80's and 90's and stayed at Cedar Point Lodge...it was known as Cedar Point Muskie Camp back then. That was when Pat Hron Sr. ran the place before passing it down to Pat Jr. and Sharon. I went there because my friend and his Dad went there.

Pat Jr and Sharon are two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. I've never been to AML and when I go back to Eagle, if I bring the family, I'd go to Cedar Point because I think it wuld be a little more laid back than AML. Now if it wa serious musky hunt with the guys, AML would get my $$$. Kids under 16 stay free at Cedar Point too.
KSauers
Posted 10/23/2008 4:52 PM (#342149 - in reply to #342043)

When Herbie says fshing camp he ain't kidding. My usual Canadian fishing vacations are just that vacations. Sleep til I wake up and fish til after dark. Play some cards wth the kids ,watch a movie,go to bed and sleep til I get up. When I was at AML the guide boats left at 7 am. Wasn't quite as relaxing . It was hard for this old fart to get up and be awake that early. And then go musky fishing with Mikie,man NOBODY pounds like Mikie. Some of the days I was there were very windy and I'm tall and topheavy and completely wore out by the end of the day.
Big fish only
Posted 10/23/2008 7:57 PM (#342178 - in reply to #341686)

Thats for sure about Mikie, I like the way the new scott fishes. either way Any guide there is wayyyy better than I will ever be. Counting down the days till I get back there.

Hope to see you guys up there next year,
Alex
jonnysled
Posted 10/24/2008 10:05 AM (#342232 - in reply to #341686)

after four years at andy meyers lodge i've come to have an excitement not just for going there to fish but to be able to spend either time in the boat or social time with the guides working for Herbie. Cal Ritchie taught me that lake in a way that was unselfish accurate and he gave me the confidence to not only get on fish but not have to travel too far to do it, have been able to fish with he, mikie and scott and they are simply the best and worth every minute and hour spent. i remember a time with mikie on a wind-pounded day with him standing like a parrot on the gunnel of danny's lund firing away ... last year i fished with scott who's a friend of some local buddies from here in rhinelander and had a great time. these guys are competitive amongst each other in a good way and they work hard to help the camp do well. they take a personal approach to help everyone in that camp to score and all fish are celebrated regardless of who's boat or whether it's a guided or non-guided score ... i've never been with a big group of musky fishermen who work so well as a team.

so, if you choose andy meyers lodge you've got every boat working as a search boat for you and helping you at the end of the day to do better the next day. to me that's unique for a camp or for a group of people in this sport and it's something i've never experienced anywhere else.

on the family notion ... andy meyers lodge for sure is the pinnacle for serious musky fishermen, but don't think for a second that they don't cater to a recreational fisherman. many people go there for lots of different reasons and the other guides ... darcy, andy and the guy who's name escapes me are top notch on walleyes and lakers too for people who are there to relax and fish. they get lost in the shuffle on a board like this but shouldn't be forgotten for a different approach to a week on eagle lake. they always come in scoring it seems.

finally, last year i got to spend a night with danny herbeck on eagle fishing walleyes and although i'm a bit dislexic and didn't do really well personally (i watched the other guy catch fish who could walk and chew gum at the same time) ... we caught huge eyes (29.75" and 26" biggest) while other boats in the same place simply did not. it's a tactical method i was able to bring home this year to make myself and my kids better all-around fisherman. the kinds of things you are able to learn from that lodge on the rock will last you a lifetime and make you a better fisherman so there's a real value for anyone who goes there.

i'm a bit sold on andy meyers lodge ...
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 10/24/2008 12:20 PM (#342253 - in reply to #341686)
Subject: RE: Canadian Esox Eagle Lake outing

Another vote for Cedar Point Lodge.... Trip 3 years ago was fantastic.
Since then LOTW and Winnepeg River - but can't wait to get back to Cedar Point and Eagle.... great staff, great location, great fishing.
out
esox50
Posted 10/24/2008 3:27 PM (#342272 - in reply to #342232)

jonnysled - 10/24/2008 10:05 AM
i'm a bit sold on andy meyers lodge ...

You've about got me sold!!!

We've been fishing LOTW for the last 7 years and have been lucky to put three 50s in the boat the last three years, but I must admit we're lucky (at least our boat...) if we see another 50 the rest of the week. Much less multiple 50s in a day. Eagle is quite intriguing...
KSauers
Posted 10/24/2008 5:02 PM (#342285 - in reply to #342232)

jonnysled - 10/24/2008 11:05 AM
Could you be thinking of Travis? My dad and I went out with him twice for walleyes and my dad had the best eye fshing of his life.

... darcy, andy and the guy who's name escapes me are top notch on walleyes and lakers too for people who are there to relax and fish. they get lost in the shuffle on a board like this but shouldn't be forgotten for a different approach to a week on eagle lake. they always come in scoring it seems.

Edited by KSauers 10/24/2008 5:04 PM