I'm kinda lost...
dude
Posted 10/11/2008 10:10 PM (#340351)
Subject: I'm kinda lost...

Let me start out by saying that I'm from Southern California and moved to the North East. I'm used to bass, halibut, yellowtail, sheepshead, croaker, pearch, shark, scorpion fish, bat ray, barracuda etc. fishing and I have about a decade of experience. I am no novice but I will admit that I do need some help with this. I have never done any freshwater fishing. I'm interested in muskie fishing but don't really know where to start. I've been doing some reasearch and have found that heavier lines are used (50-100 lb.). I understand a day of casting can be quite strenuous and lighter rods are used. Most of the muskie rods I have looked at on the internet are rated for 12-60 lb. test. My main question is how light rods can handle the stress of 100 lb braid?
BenR
Posted 10/11/2008 10:19 PM (#340352 - in reply to #340351)
Subject: Re: I'm kinda lost...

Where in the North East? My brother is still out east and can probably show you around. Also the Muskies Inc. chapters out there are great as well. I fished out there for about 10 years, so I will gladly help also...Ben
Big fish only
Posted 10/11/2008 11:09 PM (#340354 - in reply to #340351)
Subject: Re: I'm kinda lost...

I am in CT and I still fish for skis, the heavier lines are not used for the fish, they are used for the stress of casting large lures. I throw a TICA (both 8"6" rods) and they handle 100lb line well. It all depends on how tight the drag is set.
Alex
Dude
Posted 10/12/2008 2:41 PM (#340403 - in reply to #340351)
Subject: RE: I'm kinda lost...

I'm in Buffalo so I'm thinking about trying the Niagara river sometime. But now I have a couple more questions. Are roller guides ever used for trolling? Is 30-40 lb mono too light? (I'm used to casting pretty heavy iron with 20 lb for yellowtail) I have a penn jigmaster and a special senator, and a couple relatively lightweight saltwater rods. Would any of this equipment serve a good perpose for muskie fishing?
snaggletooth
Posted 10/15/2008 1:03 PM (#340889 - in reply to #340403)
Subject: RE: I'm kinda lost...

Dude............

Help is available nearby.............
Go to a meeting of the Niagara Musky Association. Their meetings are on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7PM at the Knights of Columbus hall in North Tonawanda. Go thru the front double-door & its in the meeting room on the right.

They are a real nice group of musky anglers who will provide you with all the info you need to fish musky on the Niagara. They have club outings & tournaments so you can also find partners to fish with.

The November NMA meeting is the best one of the entire year to get the information you want !! NMA anglers fish the river & harbor HARD in November.

http://www.niagaramuskyassociation.info/