bucktail blade colors
mike
Posted 10/4/2008 6:56 PM (#339256)
Subject: bucktail blade colors

Guy's i was woundering when do you all use gold blades verses nickel?
thanks. mike
ILmuskie
Posted 10/4/2008 7:43 PM (#339258 - in reply to #339256)
Subject: Re: bucktail blade colors

I like silver for sunny while gold for cloudy! Silver is also good for clear water while gold for dark water. I like firetiger blade for cloudy and dark water! Hot orange is also good for general fishing and dark water. Someone might not agree with me but its just general that there's no best color blade but more important is good sharp treple hooks and weight for easier to cast!
If I pick only one bucktail then it would be silver blade and black bucktail!
Good idea to have several color and blades to find which one is good for that day!
stonewallracing9
Posted 10/5/2008 8:09 PM (#339356 - in reply to #339256)

GOLD blades seemed to be the ticket on my last trip, but I always throw a black bucktail with blaze orange blade sometime on every trip. I think it has consistently raised more fish than any other for me. I will throw it no mater what the conditions are.
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/5/2008 8:40 PM (#339359 - in reply to #339256)

I have a lot of colors but consistently I get emails from customers telling me gold and silver produce with gold "winning" the race by 2:1. Most colored blades come in a distant third for customer catches.... Colored blades will chip too and this does not make for a happy customer so I am thinking of going to an all silver or gold lineup. Just debating it still. To add, I think most are of the opinion (me too) that it is the vibration of the blades that trigger strikes and not the colors (for the most part). Colors catch customers for me.
I personally like gold blades the best. Actually anything (lures) gold is the ticket this year it seems. Funny too as orange seemed to be the color of choice last year for bucktails, spinnerbaits and big rubber swimbaits.
JMO
James
musky-skunk
Posted 10/6/2008 4:38 PM (#339506 - in reply to #339256)
Subject: RE: bucktail blade colors

I used to use nickel on sunny days in clear water, and gold on cloudy days in clear water or sunny days in stained water. Cloudy days on stained water its hard to beat painted blades. This is my general rule but I started throwing gold blades in clear water and in sunny conditions and found that fish still chase em'. I would let fishing pressure dictate your discision.

On remote low pressure lakes go with the general rules but on pressured waters try colors that are unorthidox and often that can be the ticket. Same goes for painted blades. This season I learned that painted blades can be awsome during sunny conditions (although I would always start the day with nickel and change up if nothing is happening.
mike
Posted 10/7/2008 6:18 PM (#339695 - in reply to #339506)
Subject: RE: bucktail blade colors

Thanks for the replys. The popularty of the gold over the nickel suprises me, i have fished nearly all my life and all you were ever told nickel and black. Of all things seems i have had my best luck this year on black/flo red blades started throwing this color on a day when nothing was going on ended up raising 3 caught 1 one evening and so it begain black/flo red.