QS rig question
jah1317
Posted 9/17/2008 4:38 PM (#336637)
Subject: QS rig question

Ok so I have already searched this topic on several occasions and did not find anything that related directly to this.

I want to know what the best design (i'm making my own) would be for a sucker rig that I can CAST. I am not looking to hang them over the side I am looking to cast them from the bank. I know it sounds strage to you guys but my dad and his friends used to do it that way pretty much exclusively with very good results. The only problem is that they used single hooks back then which I refuse to do now. I have tried the presqisle rig (hook leader through the nose and treble near the dorsal fin but it does not work well for casting. I do like that rig but the poor suckers are not big fans and it puts one heck of a bend in them. Any thoughts?
Slamr
Posted 9/17/2008 5:48 PM (#336644 - in reply to #336637)
Subject: Re: QS rig question

My suggestion would be to rig the sucker the traditional single-hook casting way, while running a length of wire that is crimped or tied somehow to the eye of the J or circle hook that you usually would use for single hook casting. At the end of that length of wire, attach a treble or two that has some slack to it (ie. not bending up the sucker), and attach that end to a portion of the sucker behind the dorsal fin.

Hey, if you want to chuck a 2lb dead sucker around, that's the damage you want to do to YOUR shoulder. I did it for about 20 minutes about 20 years ago....that was enough to tell me that I was NOT man enough to do that for very long.
jah1317
Posted 9/17/2008 8:32 PM (#336673 - in reply to #336637)

Actualy, what I ended up doing last spring when I caught a sucker while fishing for trout is we ended up throwing him like a football. My dad and I named him chuck. I was thinking of doing the single hook idea too. I am in PA it is hard to get a sucker over 10" we have to sein them the bait shops don't sell anything over 5" and those are expensive for what they are. Thanks for the advice!
sworrall
Posted 9/17/2008 10:03 PM (#336696 - in reply to #336637)

Big jig hook in the yap, a treble on a leader attached to the jig hook through the back. Hit the fish the second it hits the sucker. Many years back I tossed 10" suckers for a Fall, did OK.
jah1317
Posted 9/18/2008 9:00 AM (#336761 - in reply to #336637)

Thanks guys, I will be heading to gander this weekend to get my supplies I made a quick rig last night but want to refine it and make a few more. I will be hanging a few over that side but mostly tossing them. Thanks again!
cbuf
Posted 9/18/2008 11:43 AM (#336783 - in reply to #336637)

use a saltwater knocker rig with a circle hooks in the belly and rubber banded around the middle of the fish. The sucker will swim in circles abvoe the weight.
Muski4Life
Posted 9/19/2008 3:38 PM (#336940 - in reply to #336637)
Subject: RE: QS rig question

This is an outside the box idea that I saw on a catfish or striper site awhile back. They were talking about fishing from the bank with live shad and thier problem was making long cast without killing the shad. The solution was to use remote controled boats. They rigged a release clip from a planer board to the boat and then would hook the line to it and drag the shad out to were they wanted it and then give the line a jerk to release the shad and then drive the boat back. It sounded really funny but very affective. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, just thought it was a funny story.

M4L