fishing with topwater lures
muskykid08
Posted 9/13/2008 6:19 PM (#335992)
Subject: fishing with topwater lures

I am kinda new to muskie fishing and have been using topwater lures quite a bit but I was wondering what is the best time to use topwater lures like topriaders, or giant jackpots? some one told me that topwaters lures only work when it is cloudy out and some people tell me that topwater lures work only in the early morning and evenings. so I thought I would ask some of you more experienced muskie hunters for some tips.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/13/2008 8:05 PM (#336006 - in reply to #335992)
Subject: Re: fishing with topwater lures

As a rule there is no hard rules. They hit when it is sunny, cloudy, and yes even pitch black. Nobody knows for sure what to throw but years of experience will help eliminate certain baits at certain times of the year.

The absolute best times are under low light like sunrise/sunset.
wers4455
Posted 9/13/2008 8:05 PM (#336007 - in reply to #335992)
Subject: RE: fishing with topwater lures

I've found that you can use topwater (almost) all season long. Topwater has its time and its place when its most productive like any other lure. Topwater is a great choice for morning and evening fishing, but you can still catch muskies during the day on them also.
MuskyGary
Posted 9/13/2008 9:13 PM (#336015 - in reply to #335992)

I like to use them over weeds when other lures would foul. The Weagle can drive a fish nuts and is a great go to lure anytime. Any lure that you have confidence in and thus pay close attention to is what you should use.
sworrall
Posted 9/14/2008 8:34 PM (#336142 - in reply to #335992)

Surface lures are effective all season long under the right conditions.
Yake Bait
Posted 9/16/2008 8:58 PM (#336471 - in reply to #335992)

Low light or overcast with some chop is best. Strikes in broad daylight can happen but not as often. Seems like when it happens they hit within seconds of the lure hitting the water (as though you cast very near the fish). Night time is killer - slow down the retrieve speed to the point where the blade turns but does not stall.

Give it a little faster pull once in a while, or do so when you notice that the wake seems a little too big for the lure to trigger a strike (that would be a fish), don't get too carried away with it but just a little speed or direction change. Swing into your figure 8 as far away from the boat as you can to get some depth before the fish is too close to the boat - easy to spook them if you figure8 late in the retrieve. Don't assume that a fish is not there if you don't see it during the figure8. I have been surprised numerous times.