Clear Lakes and Turnover Question
jtmenard
Posted 9/11/2008 9:22 PM (#335789)
Subject: Clear Lakes and Turnover Question

So on deep, gin clear lakes as the water temps increase during the summer the muskies go deep. At what point do they come back up out of the deep basin and back on to the shallower structure. Will they do this prior to turnover, or is it part of turnover?

JTM
Live2Fish
Posted 9/11/2008 10:26 PM (#335799 - in reply to #335789)
Subject: Re: Clear Lakes and Turnover Question

Much before turnover. As the cool nights bring the surface temps down, they will move into shallower structure in order to get good ambush positions on migrating bait fish.
sworrall
Posted 9/12/2008 8:15 AM (#335823 - in reply to #335789)
Subject: Re: Clear Lakes and Turnover Question

Agreed. As the water cools, some of the fish will definitely move shallow. Pelican, for example, has been putting out numbers of Muskies since the cool down began out of less than 4' of water, mid day, up on the rocks.
CiscoKid
Posted 9/12/2008 8:28 AM (#335825 - in reply to #335789)
Subject: RE: Clear Lakes and Turnover Question

Clarify deep, clear.

I wouldn’t consider Pelican in this category even though it can be fairly clear. Are you talking Oligitrophic type lakes that are your typical cisco based lakes?

If so here are my thoughts and experiences. I am sure they do move up shallow in these lakes as the water begins to cool in N.WI, but I still have luck for these fish deep. To me it’s too much of a circumstantial thing to find the fish shallow on these waters whereas I can usually find them deep. I don’t need to just fish them at the prime time deep.

These deep clear lakes can be good lakes to fish during turnover as they just don’t experience as much of a flop as other waters. A lot less decaying matter to stir up the water. In some cases I have found you can have a pretty good bite on these lakes during turnover.

Now waters outside of WI I don’t have experience with, but I am sure are a bit different. Waters like Canada you can find fish, and big fish, extremely shallow all year on these “trout” water type lakes from what I hear.
jtmenard
Posted 9/12/2008 12:26 PM (#335860 - in reply to #335825)
Subject: RE: Clear Lakes and Turnover Question

I would be referring to lakes that bottom out at 80'-90' with clarity down to about 15' of water. I haven't seen many fish in the <5' sctruture (I really haven't fished this much though), but mostly in the 10'-20' range. Right now the fish are deep in the main basin of the lake suspended over the cisco. I'm just curious to know when they'll leave that pattern and move back to the shallower "fishable" water.

Thanks for you help.