Urgent! Need help with border crossing info!
Express man
Posted 9/8/2008 11:03 PM (#335343)
Subject: Urgent! Need help with border crossing info!

MY buddy and I are planning to go up to Canada on Saturday, and I was just informed that he got a D.W.I. back in January of 1989. What are my options? What can we do or can not do? He did not know it was still on his record since it was almost 20 years ago! Any suggestions??
Thanks for the help.
Baby Mallard
Posted 9/8/2008 11:09 PM (#335345 - in reply to #335343)
Subject: RE: URGENT! Need help with border crossing info!!

Stuff him in a suitcase! Honestly, I don't know. Hopefully, you guys can still go. Good luck!
Lance Uppercut
Posted 9/8/2008 11:40 PM (#335347 - in reply to #335343)

When me and my buddy Rock Strongo went to Canada two years ago I had an 18 year old DWI and he had a 22 year old DWI. We gave them our driver's licenses and they took them into their booth and came back and said have a good time.

We were told that after ten years you are rehabituated so we did not overly worry much about it.
Junko
Posted 9/8/2008 11:52 PM (#335348 - in reply to #335343)

Does the passenger have to show a driver's license, or can he just show a passport and birth certificate? What about the driver?
bfunk73183
Posted 9/8/2008 11:56 PM (#335349 - in reply to #335347)

usually they just ask you the "questions" and let you go......sometimes they will tell you to pull over and they will search deeper into your records.

if they just ask the normal stuff you would be fine. my bro had a DWI not more than 10 years ago and we always got across no prob. i cant tell ya what they will do if they pull you aside. you could always just head up and pray for the best but you might be taking a risk. cant really tell ya more than that. sorry but good luck!!!!!!

-ba-
Musky Brian
Posted 9/8/2008 11:57 PM (#335350 - in reply to #335348)

Honestly, put him as the passenger and you have a very good chance of getting through. I would suggest making "just in case" backup plans if it does come up and they choose to not allow you in..That's how I would handle it
Rock Strongo
Posted 9/8/2008 11:58 PM (#335351 - in reply to #335343)

When Lance and I went, we didn't have passports. This was way back in 2006. We both gave our licenses. We crossed at Int. Falls at about three in the morning on a Friday night/Saturday morning. We didn't take much booze with us, so when they asked if we were bringing anything in, we said a couple beers. That was it. Have fun they said. I doubt they would turn you back for a 19 years old DWI, but I guess they could. Smile and have your haircut and you'll go right through.

lambeau
Posted 9/9/2008 7:45 AM (#335375 - in reply to #335343)
Subject: RE: Urgent! Need help with border crossing info!

MY buddy and I are planning to go up to Canada on Saturday, and I was just informed that he got a D.W.I. back in January of 1989. What are my options? What can we do or can not do? He did not know it was still on his record since it was almost 20 years ago! Any suggestions?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-deemed-rehabilitatio...
if it has been more than 10 years without incident he is automatically "deemed rehabilitated" by Canada.
you won't have any problem.