Opinions on Northwest Ontario
Esoxmtk
Posted 8/17/2008 5:28 PM (#331886)
Subject: Opinions on Northwest Ontario

I would like to make a musky trip up to northwest Ontario next summer. I have never been there before. I was wondering where i should go? I have heard of

Lake of the Woods
Eagle Lake
Lake Wabigoon
Lac Seul
Rowan Lake
Manitou Lake

Don't really know anything about the lakes or the types of fisheries. Just looking for some feed back on what Lake you liked, why, and how the fishing was. I know the conditions will change from year to year. Looking for a place with nice rental boats and reasonable prices. Thanks.

sworrall
Posted 8/17/2008 6:20 PM (#331897 - in reply to #331886)
Subject: Re: Opnions on Northwest Ontario

Wabigoon for me, for sure.

Why?
I fished LOTW, Lac Seul, Minaki, Indian, Cliff, Canyon, Rainy,and more than a dozen other locations, looking for really big fish. Found 'em on some of that water, but availability. ease of locating the fish, resort location and what happens in really strong winds, action while trying to find and catch a Pig, drive-to on blacktop and fish right there without having to run 20 miles across the lake had me returning to Wabigoon.

Sure, the Goon can burn you, just like any water, if it's 112 degrees in the shade for a couple weeks or the weather is so bad fishing just plain isn't much fun. I did find, however, that no matter what, if I had a week I can usually get into BIG Pike and excellent quality Muskies. Walleye action is stellar, with at least a shot at a 10# fish every trip if you want to chase them some and 50 fish days a possibility if you stick with them and fish 'em hard. Smallmouth can be unreal, again, if one wishes to chase them. I stay at Indian Point Camp, because of it's location. I can get out in any wind at all, no matter what, and find a place to fish muskies all day. the camp is nice, and the owners REALLY nice folks. Good Wednesday fish fry.

But all of that still isn't why I go there. It's a 'feeling', more than anything else. I honestly feel that every cast I toss in that dark clay particulate water gives me a chance at a true trophy, and the fishing pressure is NIL. Most days, I have my water completely to myself.

Wabigoon is a clay muddied flowage that is clearer now than I've ever seen it, and is one of the most fertile systems in Ontario. The Pike get big and are very numerous, and the Muskies get HUGE. Not huge numbers, but a 5 to 10 fish week isn't out of the question. Four of us fished Sunday evening to Tuesday evening and boated 8 from about 35" up to 48.5". Didn't find the big girls, just wasn't enough time to figure out where they were with the water temps rapidly warming from 60's to mid 70's, but did see several in the 48" class. We caught numerous Pike from 32" to 40". We never fished deeper than 4'. I don't think most of that time we fished much farther than 3 miles from camp.

Eagle, and AML is an 'experience' too. Herbie is one of the best, and employs the best guides and camp help he can find. That would be my second choice in that area, second ONLY because I run in to more fishermen on the water there. Why? Because the fishing is really good.

Sabaskong Bay out of Red Wing, has been a great destination too. LOTS of fish, multiple fish days, some big girls, and a camp that is easy to get to by blacktop road.

Anyway, I choose Wabigoon for the reasons given. Take a bit of heat for it from the freaking peanut gallery, too, but that's just fine. Sorno likes it there....
Almost-B-Good
Posted 8/18/2008 7:24 AM (#331953 - in reply to #331886)
Subject: RE: Opnions on Northwest Ontario

Depends on what you are looking for.

Lac Seul is a special place but I won't fish it for muskies because there is a zero fish bag limit and my goal is to catch one for the wall. It has different qualities as it fluctuates water level wise more than the others from what I've seen. There are "known" areas for musky, but there are muskies in many more places that you can find if you have time and patience. I've run into them fishing walleyes in some off the wall spots. I'd call it a lower density population. Neat scenery, totally different areas structurewise and lots and lots of water you can have to yourself if you wish. There are also some muskies in the upstream lakes on the English River, in connecting waters and tributary systems so you could spend a lifetime on the 500,000+ acres and not even dent the possibilities. I'd say the most important thing is to find the right spot, technique is secondary. Been up in that area since 1978 and is my area of choice.

Eagle is more a "standard" lake from what I've seen on my limited time there. You have the options to move from clear to darker water, deeper to shallower sections and always have a chance to match the weather conditions. I'd go back there in a heartbeat even if I only had one fish for the week I was there in mid October. This lake seems to be a little more technique oriented as most spots are fairly well known. Plus it has action Lakes in the area and other big fish lakes too so you aren't locked in to one body of water. Of the three I've fished and mentioned here, this is the toughest one for me.

Fished Lake of the Woods in Sabaskong, Miles bay, Stevens, Stoney Portage, Burroughs and a few more places I can't recall. I think it has more muskies per acre than any other quality lake I've ever fished. Has much shallower water on the average and has a bloom that is unique. Different scenery, more people, dirtier water in the areas I've fished. Prime figure 8 water that you can expect to easily get half your fish within a rod's length of the boat. Good for action, and rumor has it big fish, but I've never seen one. My best was 49" and had one other 49.5"er in the boat for 7 trips, but quite a few 46"ers. Never saw a fish I thought was much over 52", but I haven't fished it for at least 6 years. Most of the time I spent on it was in mid October tossing jerkbaits and cranks. Some pretty good fish were caught on suckers by some of the camp guys in fall so that is another option.

You just need to remember that these are all big waters and you don't get good on them in one week. If you want to learn them, it's a lifetime project. You have a shot for a huge fish in each of the ones I've mentioned but to be consistant in putting up big fish you have to put your time in like the guides up there. It is too easy to get carried away in running around instead of disecting good spots, so you need some patience until you aquire the knowlege of the best spots. But the scenery is to die for, and fishing up there is just plain fun!
Hunter4
Posted 8/18/2008 8:13 AM (#331957 - in reply to #331886)

B,

That last paragraph is some very good advice.
Esoxmtk
Posted 8/18/2008 2:29 PM (#332047 - in reply to #331886)

B, thanks for that feedback. Some good things to think about!
esoxaddict
Posted 8/18/2008 3:30 PM (#332059 - in reply to #331886)

I just got back from Andy Myers Lodge on Eagle Lake. I went all out on this trip, 6 days guided, with the meal plan.

What I liked:

1. The meal plan rocks. It would have been a lot cheaper to bring/cook my own food, but I know me -- I'd skip breakfast, be too disorganized to make lunch, fish all day, be too tired to make dinner and wind up eatinc cold soup out of a can at midnight. By Thursday I'd be useless. you get a huge breakfast, sandwich/chips/snack for the boat, and a huge dinner. The food is comparable to anything you'd cook at home, and there's plenty of it.

2. The guides, as you would expect, are second to none. Everybody knows where ebveryone else is fishing, what's working where, and where there have been big fish sighted. Most of the time they're not just working spots, they're working fish on spots.

3. The cabins. Only stayed in two of them, but they were surprisingly clean, well maintained, and everything works. Nice to be 100 feet from your next meal, and 200 feet from the water.

4. The staff -- everyone there, and I mean everyone really cares if you catch fish. Steve Herbeck (the owner) was the first one there at the end of the day asking how we did.

It was a maintenance free trip -- all I had to do was show up and fish.

5. The lake. There's so much good looking structure it's mind boggling. Clear water, dark water, stained water, shallow weeds, deep rocks, humps, islands, all of it within 20 minutes of camp. You don't have to go far to find fish, either.

6. The fish. First off, they're fat. Even the little ones are fat. Compare all the pictures you can find of fish from LOTW and from Eagle. And there's a bunch of them. We had a day where we raised 24 fish; 12 of them were well over 50. The rest were all over 45". The smallest fish we saw all week was 42", and even that one was fat. For the whole week, we raised probably 30 fish that were 48" and over, several of which were easily 40#. It takes a lot of muskie to make 40#.

What I didn't like:

1. The price. Not going to lie -- it's expensive. You get what you pay for though.

For someone who has never been there, and doesn't want to hire guides? I'd be afraid to fish the lake for the first time by myself for two reasons:

1. There's lots of unmarked stuff you can wreck your boat on in places where you'd never expect to find it.
2. There's too many great looking spots. Without the knowledge of someone who is out there every day, I don't know how you'd pick the productive spot out of the 10 you can see right in front of you that have all the right elements.

I'm anxious (after 12 days guided) to go out and explore some of the stuff we passed up and never fished, because it just looks too good not to fish.

I'm kind of curious about some of the other lakes and resorts in the area. But after my experiences at AML and fishing Eagle Lake, I see no reason to go anywhere else. There's nothing I want out of a trip that AML/Eagle doesn't have.

jonnysled
Posted 8/18/2008 3:52 PM (#332066 - in reply to #331886)

a couple of very good and thorough posts here with some great advice by both jeff and the almost-b-good dude. i went to lotw for 12 years prior to making the change to eagle. i was in a great group of guys and stayed at oak island resort when i went to lotw which was a great place owned and run by some super people. it was affordable and done well by the group i joined in with.
+ = beautiful scenery
- = a long haul with lots of gravel road, a crossing situation you need to be a lawyer to understand and developing crowds. it was during one of those trips when i started listening to what jeff wallace was saying about eagle lake.

i started going to eagle staying at andy meyers lodge and this year will be my 4th year. the lodge, crew and other guests (the madison chapter of muskies inc.) that are there when i'm there work hard to make sure everyone and i mean everyone is understood for how they are doing for the week and make sure to put each and every person (if they want it) on fish so that all come away with a successful trip. if a guy is slumping you'll even see strangers moving in and out of boats or someone taking a stranger out as a third for a night session to help out. it's a team sport at aml and pretty cool to be a part of.

i would disagree with jeff essoxaddict for the navigation on eagle (at least vermillion bay, portage and the west arm). for sure there are plenty of things to hit, but it's not that bad and it's all relative. down south and the coleman's area ... yep, she's challenging and i wouldn't recommend trying that range without hiring a guide (see the last paragraph of almostbgood's post. but, there are enough spots and fish in the areas i've mentioned and if you have any experience with shield water along with good electronics you will be able to build a pretty broad range of comfort fairly quickly. the fifty i caught last year was in view of the lodge and a place i would bet 90% of people drive right past.

at eagle i drive my truck on asphalt (well the painted rock they call canada eh) and park it right next to my cabin vs. having to offload and launch with all the saturday traffic at angle inlet and then find a parking spot in the ditch somewhere to leave my truck and trailer and pay to do it ... and then do it all over again after packing the boat and driving to wherever you are staying ... then do it all over again going home. it's a pain in the butt!

at lotw we would fish hard to find a handful of 4 footers to fish for through the week and hope somebody else didn't get to em before we did ... a 50 was celebrated huge ... on eagle there will be 4 different 50's on the same reef that show up and then move to another one constantly rotating and it's not unheard of to move double digits of that class of fish in a single day ... now ... at eagle if you're not capable at boatside you will be disappointed cause that's where they eat and you have to learn by frustration sometimes ...

i've experienced cold times on both ... but the hot times ... i'll take eagle hands down. in the 3 years of eagle we have put a 50 in the boat each year ... last year 2. there are no guarantees ... i had a blank year and played netman and then i had a great year and watched cory who was on fire the year before have a down year ...

so ... that being said ... i recommend andy meyers lodge and eagle lake ...

Edited by jonnysled 8/18/2008 7:20 PM
MuskyHopeful
Posted 8/18/2008 4:29 PM (#332072 - in reply to #331886)

One thing to remember about Canada. It's lousy with Canadians. You can't go anywhere without bumping into a Canadian. And be forewarned, you'll find most Canadians are funny, helpful, kind, and well informed on world affairs. Canadians kept trying to do stuff for us when we went. They were always trying make sure we were having a "good time". Why, when I was in Canada, at Andy Meyers Lodge, no less, the Canadian guide, Darcy, even had the audacity to invite us over to his house after we fished to play poker, feed us snacks, and fill our glasses with Hiram's Special Old. The girls at the lodge went so far as to put an extra sandwich in my lunch. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Unbelievable.

Those Canadians can be a real pain in the butt. If you're like me, and the kind of stuff I described bothers you, stay the heck out of Canada, and especially AML.

Oh, and they'll also tell you non-stop how great their health care is, and they have kind of funny accents. I didn't mind those things so much.

Kevin

Canadians. They have a lot of gall.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 8/18/2008 6:33 PM (#332093 - in reply to #331886)

Wabigoon, for all the same reasons that Steve Worrall gave!
If you want to see big fish, go somewhere else. If you want to catch big fish, this is the place!
Andy Meyers Lodge would be a good second choice.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 8/18/2008 6:36 PM
dcates
Posted 8/18/2008 6:56 PM (#332098 - in reply to #332059)

Excellent advice above.  LOTW for action (and a shot at a 50"), Eagle for a chance at a fish of a lifetime.  Red Wing Lodge on LOTW treated us VERY well a few weeks ago.  I'll be at AML in a few more weeks.  I can't wait.
The Wanderer
Posted 8/18/2008 7:11 PM (#332101 - in reply to #331886)

Where ever you go get a guide for atleast the first day. The one time I went to Eagle I wished I'd would have gotten a guide instead of wasting the entire week trying to figure things out. Don't be too proud. You've paid all the money to get to a great spot to fish don't waste that money.
BNelson
Posted 8/18/2008 7:50 PM (#332111 - in reply to #331886)

I think it comes down to what you want ...besides being affordable with nice cabins all fisheries are different of those you listed...are you looking for that one big girl to make your year/lifetime? could you be happy with getting skunked on tough waters but knowing one cast could be a 50 lber?
of those you listed numbers are going to be on LOTW...lower density on Rowan / Lac Seul / Eagle but a shot at probably a heavier fish for it's length.
Could you get skunked at LOTW during it's peak? maybe, but not very likely...others have gone to Eagle and fished hard for a week to come home empty handed....seeing monsters of course but not catching...are you able to do that?
From those that have stayed at Andy Myers I don't think you can go wrong there...
Rowan has some good camps. and LOTW is filled with them.... Lac Seul doesn't have too many but Moosehorn Lodge is one that some big fish are caught out of....I'd recommend getting the best guide you can at the camp for day one or 2 and that will pay off well over the price of his guide fee for years to come...good luck..
Posted 8/19/2008 7:30 AM (#332168 - in reply to #331886)

Don't be afraid to give Crow a try. Very little pressure and very clear water. It's basically muskie only so if you need action from pike to fill the down time you'll be out of luck. The clear water scares alot of guys away but it shouldn't moving and getting fish to eat on sunny days isn't near as difficult as most would have you believe.
Matt DeVos
Posted 8/19/2008 10:57 AM (#332194 - in reply to #331886)

Esoxmtk:

Some great comments above. But seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the lakes you listed above. Each is capable of producing a fish of a lifetime on any given cast, and offer top-notch world class fishing.

Almost-B-Good said it very well already, but it's worth repeating that you should choose a place that, logistically and from your own practical standpoint, you can return to year after year. There is a definite learning curve on all shield waters and it often takes several years to build a knowledge base and develop a consistent "milk run" of spots. Hiring a guide will help shorten the learning curve, but you should still expect to put your time in. Not saying you can't have a tremendous first-time trip, but you'll be better able to untap what these lakes have to offer through successive trips. So it's best to plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Big fish only
Posted 8/19/2008 11:53 AM (#332206 - in reply to #331886)

AML hands down, I love the place, the food the people. Everything!!! Lets put it this way every day I caught fish even on my own and im just a kid (i drive the boat dad just throws at what ever we are fishing) when you are with guides they are funny great people that can really put you on fish, I had legit chances on fish over 50 every day and 3 chances on the fish of a lifetime (55 +) (guide called) and my dad could even catch fish (a 50) and some other piddly little things.

Where ever you decide to go there is great fishing everywhere, and no spot is bad just the timing.

Alex
muskienut
Posted 8/19/2008 9:58 PM (#332370 - in reply to #331886)

try the lower manitou. manitouweatherstation.com. great lodging, great lake, won't be dissappointed.
Cory Toker
Posted 9/4/2008 10:31 AM (#334705 - in reply to #332370)

Well since I fish Lake of the Woods, Minaki, and Eagle every year, I thought I should pipe in. Lake of the Woods is my home water. I have fished almost every section of the lake and know others who have fished every section. There are some sections like Sabaskong Bay, Bignarrows, Northwest Angle that have great numbers of fish and you still have a chance at a biggie. Last year we caught 8 fish in one day with biggest being 51 and saw three others that were the same or bigger in the Narrows. Then there are other areas such as the North end that has good numbers but also has huge fish. Largest in my boat is a 54 X 25 but have had friends catch many fish up to 55 inches with huge girths. There is also Whitefish Bay. You will not get many there but there but it does have some true Giants! Lake of the Woods is a massive body of water with many different possibilities. You could fish known big fish area and do well but if the action is slow, in 30 minutes you could be fishing a numbers area and catch 3 or more fish and still have a chance at a 50!

Minaki is another great body of water. To me, this is the best place at having a chance at boating a 50 plus inch fish. I have not fished it allot yet but know many people who put 50 inch fish in the boat every year. Please stay away as I don't want this water to get to much pressure

I have also fished Eagle every fall for the past three years. Great body of water with many possibilities . Lots of big fish and low pressure in the fall. Biggest there so far is a 48 but did have a guy in our group nail a giant 54 incher. Can be a good numbers lake but have seen it really tough as well.

Given all this, My first choice is Still Lake of the Woods. The more I learn this lake, the more I tend to like it over the other areas. The Key to Lake of the Woods is learning what areas are going to be hot during certain times of the year and fish them. Also learn the areas that hold the big fish. These tend to be the areas with the deepest water. 25 to 30 foot basins don't cut it when looking for true giants. Not that there are not there, but you have a better chance at the deeper ares of Lake of the woods where they are feeding on a good Cisco and whitefish population.

Regards
Cory Toker

Edited by Cory Toker 9/5/2008 8:45 AM
NDSUski
Posted 9/4/2008 4:28 PM (#334784 - in reply to #331886)
Subject: Re: Opinions on Northwest Ontario

I feel as though I need to post and go a little against the grain here. I have been to LOTW, AML, Rowan and my family owns a place on crow.

I have only been to AML once and will never be there again. The day we showed up Herbie told us that a cold front was coming through and that he was going to be leaving town. We spent the rest of the week getting little to no service from the staff. I truly believe that this was a great resort but we just hit it on a bad week. The lake looked amazing, but we did only raise 10-15 fish and land 2 sub 40’s.

LOTW everyone else has already nailed it from my point of view. Bill Sandy’s camp is a great place.

Rowan is my personal top choice. Perfect mix of size and numbers. The fish built like tanks. The people at Nielsen’s Fly-in are second to none. Who doesn’t like a member of the In-fisherman family sitting down with you at dinner and walking through what the fish are doing. If you have not looked at this place you need to.

Crow- There’s no fish in Crow. Go across the road Crow is the definition of feast and famine. We have gone a week with out seeing a fish and we know how to fish it. But the next week you can be averaging 8 fish a day. Beautiful lake.
scp
Posted 9/4/2008 10:49 PM (#334850 - in reply to #334784)

Guides have been mentioned for Eagle -- anyone know how to go about finding/hiring "independent" muskie guides up on Eagle Lake? Or are the muskie guides usually associated or stick to their respective lodges -- like Andy Meyer's?

Was wondering what some of the different lodges had to offer as far as muskie guide opportunities, say other than AML.

-many thanks
Musky Brian
Posted 9/5/2008 12:13 AM (#334855 - in reply to #334850)

SCP...Not very much is offered in terms of quality. Usually they drug up a local who is called a "guide" and offers very little in terms of equipment or up to date tactics. Temple Bay might be the exception to the rule.

I wouldn't be half the fisherman on Eagle I am without the knowledge and help I got from the guys at Andy Meyers.
50inchGrinch
Posted 9/5/2008 10:25 AM (#334897 - in reply to #331886)

Try Andrew Klassen Guide Service.

www.andrewklassen.com

...way better then just a dug up local.

Darcy Cox
Musky Brian
Posted 9/5/2008 11:29 AM (#334907 - in reply to #334897)

The guys living on the reservation don't have their own websites so maybe that's a good start
mikie
Posted 9/5/2008 1:28 PM (#334920 - in reply to #331886)
Subject: RE: Opinions on Northwest Ontario

Matt, for your first time at any of the lakes you listed, pls. be sure you have made adequate preparations before you go. No, I'm not talking about the extra Pepto Bismol to handle the gravy-laden Canadian food, I mean reaserch the lake, get Canadian hydrographic maps of the areas you will visit, and know how to use both a compass and GPS unit in a boat.
I've only fished LOTW / Sabaskong Bay from your list, and I can tell you, there are unmarked rock hazards everywhere in the Canadian Shield lakes. It only takes one to wreck your boat and your trip. It's not like our lakes down here where it's shallow at one end, deep at the dam, and you have a few points sticking out in between. At least on Sab Bay, one island looks like another, which looks like the shore line, which looks like you have been there before and maybe you're not where you thought you were.... now you are lost.
Get a reliable GPS sonar and map chip to accompany your paper map. Before you move from your present spot: find where you are, where you want to go, locate any hazards in between, and stick with your route until you get there.

Find fish and have fun, and get a copy of Pearson's Canadian Shield book for reference. m
ESOX Maniac
Posted 9/5/2008 5:42 PM (#334940 - in reply to #334920)

Mikie- Could have getting lost been because of Mauser's navigational skills?

On the Canadian Shield a good GPS w/ lake maps is a very good idea! Going slow being careful and not trusting the GPS 100%, or the lake map is an even a better idea!

AML - On Eagle Lake is good, I have heard only one negative in ~ 8 years. Figure that one out. Fly-In Outpost lakes are very special. Typically a little more expensive-but a true Canadian wilderness experience. A Fly-in Lodge is just that-a lodge. I'll take the outpost any day.

Good luck!
Al
HERBIE
Posted 9/10/2008 6:27 PM (#335601 - in reply to #334784)

NDSUSKI,
SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE OR AT LEAST NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED THOUGH I HAVE TO SAY IT IS IS HARDLY POSSIBLE AS FAR AS SERVICE,FISHING IS FISHING AND IS HIGHLY DEPENDANT UPON WEATHER AND AN INDIVIDUALS CAPABLITYS .
IF I WAS LEAVING WHICH I DO VERY RARLEY ( I AM HERE 24/7 FOR 7 MONTHS AND ONCE A SEASON TAKE 5-7 DAYS TO SPEND WITH MY BOY AWAY FROM IT ALL) I WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU ALL THE INFO POSSIBLE AS WELL AS ANYTIME I HAVE LEFT I HAD A GUEST INSTRUCTOR TO TAKE MY PLACE. AS WELL 90% OF MY STAFF HAS BEEN WITH ME 8+ YEARS AND CONSIDER AML THIER OWN. IF YOU DIDN'T GET ANY HELP IT HAD TO BE YOU WERE LITERALLY HERMITS AND DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY ,MOST CERTAINLY IF YOU ASKED FOR IT YOU WERE NOT DENIED CAUSE THATS NOT THE WAY IT IS HERE. YOU CAN CLAIM TILL YOU'RE BLUE IN THE FACE BUT I WON'T BELIEVE IT AND 99.9% OF THE 15,000+ GUEST WHO HAVE STAYED HERE WILL VOUCH FOR THAT.
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BOAT THE FISH YOU WANTED,OR WERE MAD AT ME FOR LEAVING BUT PLEASE DON'T ACCUSE MY STAFF OF IMCOMPETANCE XCAUSE THEY TRULY CARE ABOUT EVERY GUEST.
STEVE HERBECK
AML
jonnysled
Posted 9/10/2008 6:50 PM (#335603 - in reply to #331886)

this year was my 16th year going to canada for at least a week... 12 at lotw and 4 at eagle. there are lots of people who may have more or less experience than i do and also go fishing in canada. one thing that can't be forgotten though is that your results will be directly related to the amount of EFFORT you put into it. a huge part of your success has to do with your own initiative to learn and then also to execute what you've learned and osmosis just doesn't happen. i continue to be amazed at people who hear what's working from people who are on the water every day and think they can out-think it ...

this year's lessons learned for me:

lesson one ... if you have the feeling do something about it. i broke a reel this year ... it was in my mind to change it, it didn't change and it cost me a decent fish ... my fault

lesson two ... moving a fish down the line on the outside of the eight or oval start it down a little earlier to make the outside turn more effective ...

lesson three ... never forsake the weeds

lesson four ... spots you think you know might surprise you if you pick up your position early and leave it a little later than you normally do

lesson five ... always learn your spots in your mind's eye and always know your travel areas with your eyes and don't completely depend on a gps

lesson six ... see lesson five ... you can fish eagle in a tuffy esox magnum, move and catch fish with a black and white eagle depth-finder at the bow, a sonar only in front with a good map and a good memory

lesson seven ... always ask your partner if he's got the map in a good place when you go up on plane on a really windy day

lesson eight ... a fish will eat on the 20th figure eight so never give up

Edited by jonnysled 9/10/2008 6:54 PM
muskihntr
Posted 9/10/2008 7:04 PM (#335605 - in reply to #331886)

sled you forgot one......dont pick your bait up out of the water when shamu is behind you.

and that was a 332c on your bow, unless your colorblind.
jonnysled
Posted 9/10/2008 7:50 PM (#335608 - in reply to #331886)

shamu ... fat, lazy beeooooo....

meant the console vintage 1985 black and white eagle for running ...
billy b
Posted 9/10/2008 8:26 PM (#335614 - in reply to #331886)

No way JSled screwed up a big fish behind his bait? Shocker! not.
Billy B
Posted 9/10/2008 8:27 PM (#335616 - in reply to #335614)

billy b - 9/10/2008 9:26 PM

No way JSled screwed up a big fish behind his bait? Shocker! not.

you stole my name. how dare you.
Mr Musky
Posted 9/10/2008 8:32 PM (#335618 - in reply to #331886)

For Joe Bucher spending 3 weeks a year taping his musky segments for his show on Wabigoon, there was not one show that made me go OMG I have to go to this lake (I surely miss his Vilas Cty musky segments). I think for shear numbers and size you cannot beat parts of LOTW.

Mr Musky
jonnysled
Posted 9/10/2008 8:34 PM (#335619 - in reply to #331886)

never saw it ... maybe a figglement
Mr Musky
Posted 9/10/2008 8:37 PM (#335620 - in reply to #331886)

His whole last season was taped on the Goon.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 9/10/2008 9:43 PM (#335628 - in reply to #334940)

I think I should have been a little more detailed in my response above. The reason I like flyin outposts is the remoteness. If I were to choose a lodge it would be tough. These would be my top 5 choices for a chance at a fish of a lifetime, and they all have stellar reputations.

AML on Eagle Lake (Steve Herbeck)
http://www.andymyerslodge.com/canadian_fishing.htm

Nielsen's Flyin Lodge on Rowan Lake
http://www.rowanlake.com/open_dates.htm

Musky Bay Resort on Crow Lake
http://www.muskiebayresort.com/

Walsh's Bay Store Camp on LOTW (Frank Walsh).
http://www.baystorecamp.com/

Indian Point Camp on Wabigoon Lake
http://www.indianpointcamp.com/

Keep in mind your own success is really driven by your attitude & the effort you've expended. Yes! I have been skunked on Crow. But, not because I didn't try. I've also caught fish on the very first day I fished it and I was not staying at a resort on Crow. Canadian waters at times can be humbling, that's where any of the above lodges will do everything they can to make your experience a trip of the lifetime. I really don't think you can ask for more than that. I expect to be skunked, that way I'll never be disappointed.

It's really mostly a matter of attitude, i.e., decide what you want, select a lodge, and just go there and expect to have a good time. Plan to fish in less than ideal weather. Also plan to not fish in dangerous weather, i.e., it's all part of the game. You can learn a hell of lot just talking/socializing with folks in camp while you wait out the dangerous weather. In fact you'll probably develop some life long friendships.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 9/10/2008 9:47 PM
Musky Brian
Posted 9/10/2008 11:06 PM (#335642 - in reply to #335628)

Eagle is without a doubt my favorite place for all of the reasons mentioned.

As for second place? I think the Minaki area is always overlooked because people don't want to drive by LOTW and keep going. I have only been out there a few times but yikes, there are some giants in there. Biggest fish I have ever boated personally was out there. I hear it gets hard but I don't see it myself.