Penn 975 centrifugal weights
esoxaddict
Posted 8/15/2008 12:15 PM (#331586)
Subject: Penn 975 centrifugal weights

Was having trouble getting any distance out of it. Loosened the cast control knob and it was backlash city. Finally ocurred to me that it must have weights like a lot of other reels. So I pulled off the side plate, took out the spool, and...

What the heck kind of deal is that??

Instead of individual weights that snap in or out, it's got this weird collar that you turn, that controls which weights work and how far out they go. Is there some weird trick to how you set it? Anybody know what I'm talking about here?? Nelson? Buehler?
RyanJoz
Posted 8/15/2008 5:22 PM (#331625 - in reply to #331586)
Subject: Re: Penn 975 centrifugal weights

The collar allows you to utilize anywhere from one to 4 (i think it's 4..maybe 5) brakes. The Garcia Eon I have is like this. You simply rotate the collar until it allows as many brakes as you wish to effect the spool speed. Each position of the collar (it should click) will allow a certain number of the brakes to move. The more brakes that are allowed to move, the more the braking force. My friend Brian has a 975 and was complaining about the same thing. He had a lot of backlashes and had the friction cranked down. The centrifugal brakes are on the palm side of the spool for others who are new to the 975. PM me if you need more help.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 8/15/2008 9:19 PM (#331646 - in reply to #331586)
Subject: RE: Penn 975 centrifugal weights

EA- I found this on the Penn website, in the upper left it mentions a manual (I couldn't find the manual on the website). Give their service dept a call, they'll probably be happy to send you one.

http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/int/975.pdf

Good luck!
Al