Reel repair question..drag failing.
Lundbob
Posted 8/11/2008 12:33 PM (#330842)
Subject: Reel repair question..drag failing.

I have a St. Croix A300 thats almost 3 years old. It seems to go into freespool on it's own every once in awhile. Heres an example. Throwing a bulldawg giving it hard pulls and all of a sudden you give a hard pull and the line just goes out...almost like you pressed freespool but you didn't. It's like the drag has totally failed. No resistance. I took the reel apart and cleaned all the drag washers and the roller clutch. I will try it again tonight. There was some grease on the drag washers...not sure if it was excessive though. Does anybody have any ideas on this? Would a bad roller clutch cause this? Or should i replace all my drag washers?

Thanks
curleytail
Posted 8/11/2008 1:03 PM (#330853 - in reply to #330842)
Subject: Re: Reel repair question..drag failing.

It sounds to me more like the anti reverse went out. If the drag was slipping, I think it would always slip. My experience with a little grease on the drag washers is that you just can't get the drag tight period.

curleytail
MACK
Posted 8/11/2008 2:01 PM (#330868 - in reply to #330842)

What kind of line do you have on that reel? Braid? If it is braid....how have you attached that line to the spool of the reel prior to fill the spool up full of line? Could be the braided line is slipping on the spool giving you the false pretense that the drag is slipping.

Braid does not "grab" the spool like monofilament lines do. So...once you attach that line to the spool, prior to filing the spool full, once you tie the knot, attaching the line to the spool....use some electrical tape or duct tape to wrap around the spool with the line under it. That'll give the line a good "seat" to set into once the spool is full of line.

This is just something I've done while using braided lines since the early 90s...works like a charm.

If this is not the problem...then maybe it is reel specific in regards to anti-reverse or oil on the drags.

Just thought I'd throw out another scenario or option to consider. :shrug:
Lundbob
Posted 8/11/2008 3:48 PM (#330897 - in reply to #330853)

I agree that it's some kind of anti-reverse thats failing. Thats why i mentioned the roller clutch as that is a one way bearing that comes off when you take the handle apart. The parts diagram calls it a roller clutch. I was hoping someone that does reel repair would be able to verify that thats what that is for. I don't trust St. Croix's techs as i sent these reels in for a "tuneup\cleaning" this off season and I got them back and it didn't look like they did anything to the reels. I don't think they even opened them up as the same grease that was in the reels before i sent them in was still there. Disappointing.

I do have mono backing so the line spinning on the spool should not be the issue.
Posted 8/11/2008 3:55 PM (#330898 - in reply to #330842)
Subject: RE: Reel repair question..drag failing.

Send reel to sportsman repair in Mosinee. Chuck is awesome. Sounds like a roller bearing.
Manta18
Posted 8/11/2008 9:44 PM (#330969 - in reply to #330898)

What is Chuck's contact information? I want to send in my reels at the end of the season to have them gone through and repaired.
Posted 8/12/2008 8:56 AM (#331034 - in reply to #330897)

lundbob,

That roller cluth/anti-reverse bearing needs to be clear of grease and oil to work properly. Clean it with lighter fluid or something similar, and put just a tiny amount of the lightest oil you can find (hot sauce works well; garcia oil is too heavy) on the rollers. Too much oil or too heavy of an oil will cause it to fail exactly the way you're describing. See if that helps.
Posted 8/12/2008 12:51 PM (#331075 - in reply to #330842)

Their number is (715) 693-6634. Expect t spend $25-$40. They completely go through the reel and replace any worn or broken parts. They include the replaced parts in a bag. They also clean and lubricate the reel.
Lundbob
Posted 8/12/2008 12:53 PM (#331076 - in reply to #331034)

Yea it did seem to me there was too much oil on it. I did wipe it down but did not degrease it. I will do that and give it a try. If that doesn't do it i'll just order a replacement.

Thanks
Lundbob
Posted 8/18/2008 2:36 PM (#332048 - in reply to #331076)

Just wanted to post a follow up on this one. I called St. Croix and the tech instantly said you have a bad roller clutch. He took my name and address and sent one out to me that day. No charge. No questions asked. I have 3 of these reels, this being the oldest one, about 3 years...they have been rock solid. Great reels. Great service this time. Makes up for the other time. Just like to point out when companies give good service also.

Thanks

Edited by Lundbob 8/18/2008 2:39 PM