Jerkbait Rod
momuskies
Posted 7/22/2008 7:21 AM (#327583)
Subject: Jerkbait Rod

I'm looking at getting a new jerkbait rod. My current rod is only rated to 3 ounces. I'm wondering how much you can really exceed the weight rating of a rod. I know I've cast much larger lures with that rod. I've got some 5-6 ounce jerkbaits. Do I need a rod that is rated for more than 6 ounces, or can I get by with one that is rated for 4-5 ounces? Really, I guess the question boils down to how rod manufacturers arrive at lure weight ratings. By the way, I know the safe answer is to get a heavier rod.
NYmuskyhunter
Posted 7/22/2008 8:40 AM (#327597 - in reply to #327583)
Subject: Re: Jerkbait Rod

rod manufacturers perform all sorts of tests when building their blanks. Those tests are designed to push the rod to the edge of its capabilities, then surpass it. By controlling the pressure a rod experiences, these companies have a pretty good idea how far a rod can be pushed before it snaps.

Exceeding a rods rating does 2 things, first, it limits you on how far you can cast an overweight lure, and secondly, every time you "pull back" before the lure goes forward during a cast, your that much closer to having the rod snap.

I'd get a heavier rod

Randy