The best hard coat one can apply?
greenduck
Posted 7/10/2008 5:04 PM (#325905)
Subject: The best hard coat one can apply?

Here is my deal. I'm not a bait maker. I love hawg wobblers but they tend to get soft, absorb water, and lose their original loud sound. I was thinking of buying a new one and applying my own top hard coat. I want it to become very hard like a weagle, big fork, etc.

What would be the easiest product for me to apply to achieve this goal? Any thoughts appreciated.
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/10/2008 6:37 PM (#325911 - in reply to #325905)
Subject: Re: The best hard coat one can apply?

2 part epoxy works well. I remember guys hitting a Weagle with a hammer multiple times at a msukie show and it just put a few little dents in the Weagle. The lure itself was tough as nails but the epoxy helped a lot I use three coats on my lures just for fun but on the Suicks I buy used on eBay I go with 1 or 2 depending on the effect/weight I want with them. You cna get a decent 2 part epoxy at Home Depot or Menards, etc....

James
Beaver
Posted 7/10/2008 6:43 PM (#325912 - in reply to #325905)
Subject: RE: The best hard coat one can apply?

Many of the top coats that give you that finish are 2-part epoxies like Envirotex. I would tell you to use E-tex and apply it with a brush, because you don't want to add weight to a lure like a Hog-Wobbler because it would have an adverse effect. Besides, it doesn't come by the ounce.
For lightweight lures and some twitchbaits, I will use spray-on Envirotex and apply 3 or 4 coats. I also use an automotive clearcoat that is a 3part that I air brush on. Some guys have mentioned using an automotive clear coat that comes in a can.
Brushing on a 2part epoxy should give you a hard coat without adding much weight.
Beav
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/11/2008 9:40 AM (#326013 - in reply to #325905)

To add if you use a 2-part epoxy just hit the bait lightly with a torch or hand lighter and it will help smooth out the epoxy and get the bubble out. You can even just blow on it and your breath will do a nice job. Hang one way, re-coat and hang the opposite direction and you will get a decent coverage.
GMan
Posted 7/11/2008 9:46 AM (#326015 - in reply to #326013)

As mentioned above, if you're putting on several good coats of two part epoxy like envirotex, it will change the weight of the lure a little AND the bouyancy of the lure. With a topwater bait that might not be as detrimental, but it may make it ride higher in the water.