Spark Plug Troubles
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/9/2008 9:07 AM (#321649)
Subject: Spark Plug Troubles

Here is the situation: We've got a 50 hp Honda with a spark plug that is stuck in the motor. I changed the other two out last year all with the same socket wrench and no problems arose, but on the final plug we had a major hang up. The plug would not budge. After a lot of cranking on it we still had no luck. We ended up cranking on it too hard and pretty much rounded the edge that the socket grips on to wrench it out. So now we're in a pickle. The socket can no longer grip the plug so now we need some ideas on how to get this bugger out of the motor. If anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 6/9/2008 9:10 AM (#321652 - in reply to #321649)
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Troubles

Seriously, I'd take it in and get a repairman on it. If you break that thing off, then there's a real mess.
jjj
Posted 6/9/2008 8:04 PM (#321772 - in reply to #321649)
Subject: RE: Spark Plug Troubles

make sure you put some anti seize on them all and put them back in.
ulbian
Posted 6/10/2008 12:42 AM (#321818 - in reply to #321649)

Come on Pointer, you should know this by now...lefty loosy, righty tighty...hehehehhe.
sorenson
Posted 6/10/2008 12:11 PM (#321866 - in reply to #321818)

I think he's subscribing to the 'two out of three ain't bad' theory of sparkplug changing.
JohnMD
Posted 6/12/2008 8:24 AM (#322074 - in reply to #321866)

How often do you guys change the Spark Plugs ?
Musky952
Posted 9/14/2016 1:55 PM (#830425 - in reply to #321649)

Thought I would dig this thread out of the grave. I had something that hasn't happened on my newer boat that I picked up before last season. It really seems like your average dirty spark plug but there was a few things that threw me off a little bit. I will start with what I felt:

Was on the lake and tried to plain out by myself which is usually very easy. when I did this I felt that there was power missing for a second and then it was there and I had full power. This happened a couple times while I was planed out (speed up... slow down... you get the point). Now I haven't changed the spark plugs since I have gotten the boat and have put a good amount of hours on it. When I got home a took the cap off I saw that on the left 3 spark plugs there was a little bit of what looked like oil coming down the side out of where the spark plugs are screwed in. I am just wondering if I didn't screw them in tight enough when I cleaned them once before and then there was a build up over time or if its bad plugs or even both for that matter. I took them out and cleaned everything again and put the plugs back in until I can go buy knew ones. I am hoping that new plugs will do the trick. Heading back out on the water tonight with the cleaned off old plugs and we will see how she goes.

Hopefully someone has an Idea of my problem. I have a 98-2001 Yamaha Vmax 150 V6.

Thanks for any help guys!
sworrall
Posted 9/15/2016 10:12 AM (#830473 - in reply to #321649)

Run a can of Sea Foam through the motor, that should help.
Musky952
Posted 9/15/2016 11:25 AM (#830485 - in reply to #830473)

sworrall - 9/15/2016 10:12 AM

Run a can of Sea Foam through the motor, that should help.

Thanks,

Cleaned them off yesterday and took it out. Seemed to be running much better but I think she could use some new spark plugs and a can of seafome for good measure.
VMS
Posted 9/16/2016 7:14 AM (#830549 - in reply to #321649)

On certain motors (especially old technology 2-stroke engines), I always recommend replacing the plugs on a yearly basis in the spring after you have run all the gunk out of the cylinders from fogging oil/storage. The plugs are not expensive for the most part (and yes...some are very expensive with the higher technology motors and not worthy of replacement yearly) and it is good preventative maintenance.

The can of sea foam will help things along, but if it is possible, I would say if you can get direct access to the intake, get some pressurized sea foam or mercury powertune.

When the motor is up to temperature, set the idle to around 1500 to 1800 RPMs (High idle). Spray directly into the intake so the motor starts to sputter, but don't let it die. continue to do this for a couple minutes, then spray heavily until the motor dies. If it doesn't want to die, just kill the engine. Continue to spray into the intake for another few seconds.

Let the motor sit for 20 minutes or more (depending on how bad things are, up to 2 hours can be beneficial). Then tighten everything up and go out to the lake. Run everything out of it. There will be a bunch of white smoke as you start out, but after a bit, it will be all gone.

This process should definitely help any ill running issues due to carbon build up. It can smooth out idling, acceleration, and top end.

A good change of a set of spark plugs after this process is a good thing as well...

Steve
Chemi
Posted 9/16/2016 9:20 AM (#830563 - in reply to #830549)

I'd just like to add that finding the torque spec for the plugs in your motor and always using a torque wrench to tighten them is never a bad idea. I suspect that the stuck plugs and the leaking plugs reported in this thread were very likely because of improper tightening.
It's especially easy to over-tighten them... my motor's plugs only require 20 ft-lbs.
Musky952
Posted 9/16/2016 11:31 AM (#830572 - in reply to #321649)

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be getting new spark plugs very soon (this weekend). I feel that I didn't tighten them enough as well because I didn't have the right tools. I will do some research on a torque wrench and buy one.

Thank you VMS for the lengthy explanation on how to do some cleaning. I will definitely reference this in the future!