PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell
sworrall
Posted 5/1/2008 5:23 PM (#316230)
Subject: PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell

The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies
Larry Ramsell
Published May 1, 2008

Click here for PDF Document:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/pdf/mf_050108.pdf

Mr. Ramsell worked very hard on this excerpt from his new book so all of us will have an opportunity to look at the current and past record of World Record History, and learn about what Larry has discovered.

Thank you sir, this is very interesting reading!
tcbetka
Posted 5/1/2008 5:50 PM (#316235 - in reply to #316230)
Subject: RE: PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell

I just read the portion of the history of Mr. O'brien's record catch. Incredible detail by Larry Ramsell. This PDF (at 146 pages) is an incredible gift to the sport--a big THANK YOU to Mr. Larry Ramsell for this!

And the amount of historical information contained in the latest edition of the Compendium is simply mind-boggling. These two books (volumes I & II) are an absolute *must read* for anyone calling themselves a serious musky angler...

TB
dougj
Posted 5/1/2008 6:48 PM (#316242 - in reply to #316230)
Subject: RE: PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell

I didn't get through it all, but lots of stuff! I would also question many of the old LOTWs records. As I recall there where somewhere around 20 fish over 50 lbs reported, but none since 1960 or so. Wonder why that would be?

Doug Johnson

JKahler
Posted 5/2/2008 1:26 AM (#316304 - in reply to #316230)
Subject: Re: PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell

I recently finished the 1st volume and it was insane how in depth it went into detail regarding all of the records. I'm a little overwelmed by all of the information so I think I'll read a couple other books before I dig into Vol 2.

Good stuff, a lot of time must have went into putting those together!
adudeuknow
Posted 5/2/2008 1:44 AM (#316306 - in reply to #316230)
Subject: Re: PDF: The Real Story of the World Record Muskie Controversies By Muskie Historian Larry Ramsell

i couldnt get through it tonight. i was falling asleep. lol
muskymeyer
Posted 5/2/2008 7:51 AM (#316316 - in reply to #316306)

I picked up volume I & II at the Blaine show and it will take a few reads to comprehend all the information. Excellent books Larry.

Corey Meyer
Hodag Hunter
Posted 5/2/2008 8:14 AM (#316319 - in reply to #316316)

Read most of the condensed version last night.....Wow great information.

Thank you Larry for all the hard work and time to put it to paper.

I'm in MN now getting ready to head back to the Rhinelander area and will be taking the senic route home thru Hayward. Just have to stop at some of the places mentioned in the read.
lots of luck
Posted 5/2/2008 8:20 AM (#316320 - in reply to #316230)

Look at those pics with claimed weights and measurements. Laughable.

What an excellent read. Thanks for sharing with us.
Silver Scale
Posted 5/2/2008 8:42 AM (#316325 - in reply to #316320)

Read both books last winter. In the first book the photos, lengths and girths and weights are all over the place and really makes one wonder. It was sort of dry reading after awhile but I got through it. The second book was great. These are the fish you never seem to hear much about and the ones that really interested me. Larry did a great job on this..
JohnMD
Posted 5/2/2008 10:18 AM (#316343 - in reply to #316325)

Interesting read, Thanks Steve & Larry for sharing

Bawber
Posted 5/2/2008 10:40 AM (#316347 - in reply to #316230)

"...John Dettloff, a self-appointed muskie historian...."

Now THAT is funny.
sworrall
Posted 5/2/2008 10:46 AM (#316348 - in reply to #316230)

Maybe so, but is is accurate, as far as we can tell. John is actually a pretty good writer; his stuff reads well.
IntroC
Posted 5/2/2008 6:40 PM (#316440 - in reply to #316320)

lots of luck - 5/2/2008 8:20 AM

Look at those pics with claimed weights and measurements. Laughable.

What an excellent read. Thanks for sharing with us.

Agree 100%. Really makes you wonder about the other records that were set 30 plus years ago. The walleye and largemouth records also are surrounded by fishy circumstances. Take the northern pike record for instance, no one has a clue what the record is. You do a google search and you'll come up with 10, if not more different weights. Wonder how many of these records are even legit?
Seems any record caught before 1980 is questionable at best.

Edited by IntroC 5/2/2008 6:48 PM
Derrys
Posted 5/2/2008 9:15 PM (#316485 - in reply to #316230)

I believed they used photo analysis to take the World record Walleye away from Mabry ????????. A fish from Greers Ferry is now considered the record. A lady in California tried to weigh a Largemouth in with a 2lb. diving sinker in its stomach. Even without the added weight it was in the top 25 of all time, but I suppose she was sniffing the WR.

I spent two hours tonight reading the above info from Larry, and it was time well spent. I enjoyed it so much I'll have to pick up the books now. I probably should have just bought them from Larry when we talked at the MN Muskie Expo, but I had spent all my cash on baits at that point.
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/4/2008 7:17 PM (#316672 - in reply to #316230)

I am waiting to see if anyone can actually break the world record currently held by Louie Spray. It will be interesting if it happens. May not be a WI fish this time.
sworrall
Posted 5/4/2008 8:26 PM (#316674 - in reply to #316230)

Come on, FSF, we can do it; get up here and fish with us again! I know one little lake here....
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/5/2008 10:47 PM (#316803 - in reply to #316674)

The tail thrashing danger and excitement would fill both the written and oral histories of the north...aye, it would not be just a small thing...
muskie24/7
Posted 5/7/2008 2:11 PM (#317078 - in reply to #316803)

I can't get this file to open, Any ideas?

Brian Gilmore
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/9/2008 12:57 PM (#317429 - in reply to #316230)

Thanks Steve for posting the excerpt and thanks all for the kudo's. It was a labor of love!

Muskie regards,
Larry Ramsell
www.larryramsell.com
sworrall
Posted 5/9/2008 1:54 PM (#317438 - in reply to #316230)

Brian,
You might need to download the newest Adobe Acrobat software or updates.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
agarofalo
Posted 5/16/2008 7:04 PM (#318426 - in reply to #316230)

Thats alot of reading but very interesting. In the Percy Haver part on the lake St Clair fish there was an interview with Capt Bradly and Homer. Here is a cool old pic of Capt Bradly from the 50's. Thanks for posting this i really enjoyed reading it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(old musky pics 030 blog.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments old musky pics 030 blog.jpg (37KB - 722 downloads)
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/22/2008 6:39 AM (#319163 - in reply to #316230)

Agarofalo:

Great photo of Capt. Bradley. I had the pleasure of fishing with him and Homer in the same boat on St. Clair in the late 70's. Great pair of guys! Homer was a real hoot. It was like "living" his book. We caught fish too.

Muskie regards,
Larry Ramsell
Muskellunge Historian
www.larryramsell.com
MuskyTime
Posted 5/22/2008 11:00 AM (#319192 - in reply to #316230)

Larry,

I have always been a little put off with the whole record musky deal. I guess because it became so emotional and it was hard for people like me to know what was real or fabricated. I assume I’m like most musky anglers in that the records really don’t matter much. I suppose it’s more to do with the lore of the sport that people might be less willing to dispel.

After reading this I can relate to the topic now and feel as if I’m informed and up to speed. Thank you for the time spent capturing the details of the record muskies over the years.

Have a safe and successful year on the water this summer!

Ed Spoerl
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/25/2008 7:37 AM (#319518 - in reply to #316230)

Ed:

Yes, it has been quite the "emotional" ordeal. That is why I felt it important to get the real and total truth out there for anyone and everyone to see.

I haven't taken a poll, but if the feed back I get is any indication, there are a lot more folks interested in the World Record than you think.

The record battles have certainly been hard on the lore, and even I hate that, but I also think that the truth, where known, should be made public.

Glad I got you "up to speed" and you're welcome.

You have a great year too. Mine is off to a great start with one nice fatty already.
JBush
Posted 5/26/2008 8:54 AM (#319606 - in reply to #319518)

That was quite the read, our family knows Grisdales from way back. Lloyd Thurston was a blast from the past too, I remember very clearly meeting him several times, I have an aunt who still works out of that same office. It's Parry Sound, not Perry Sound!! Great read, Larry. The bonus photos alone were worth it. Love seein' O'Brien's '80's vintage Molson Export can in that one shot. I have stayed in the cabin the fish is hanging from, I'm almost positive. That chunk of the Bay and thr river will be heard from again, that's for sure.
Larry Jones
Posted 5/28/2008 10:55 AM (#319913 - in reply to #316230)

For those fishing the Chautauqua/Pendergast Musky Tournament June 21st & 22nd and to the Public,Friday June 20th,6:30 p.m. at Vullo's Italian Restaurant,Larry Ramsell will be doing a Seminar on "The History of Muskies".Also Guide Chad Cain will do a musky seminar directly after Larry's.We want to thank both Larry & Chad for traveling all the way to NY State & Chautauqua Lake to help us raise funds for the Pendergast Musky Hatchery Bait Fish Fund.
Larry Ramsell will have his New Books available,Chad Cain will have some Lungen Lures and other Musky Tackle Venders will set up a few tables full of musky goodies as well.Don't miss out on this Great Musky Seminar Night,$5 donation to the Bait Fish Fund at the door,a donation of $10 for a Honda 4-Stroke Raffle Ticket,a donation of $25 for the Saturday Night Prime Rib Dinner/Raffle Tables,or by sending in a $75 Entry Fee to the Tournament,any one of those will get you in to see the Seminars.

Capt. Larry D. Jones