Rod/reel/lures combo for guests in my boat.
esoxfly
Posted 3/23/2008 1:30 AM (#309132)
Subject: Rod/reel/lures combo for guests in my boat.

I'm looking for thoughts on how best to put together a decent rod/reel combo, and basic tackle box for guests in my boat. I'm a flyfisherman, and I don't even own a conventional rod, let alone baits. (Disclaimer: I assure you I'm not a flyfishing snob. I have no problem throwing a worm on a hook and fishing off the dock for bluegill for dinner; I just enjoy flyfishing. Same as I don't own a rifle because I enjoy bowhunting.) But I'd like to be able to have a decent rod and reel for when I have visitors in my boat who don't have their own muskie gear, or who don't care to flyfish; namely my Dad, as he's a walleye guy who dabbles in esox. And I don't know jack squat about conventional gear. I know what a DCG and Bulldog are, but I don't know enough about rods and reels, and the more affordable baits to stock a visitor box with.

So opinions on rods, reels, and a handful of lures that won't break the bank. It'll only get fished maybe once a month if that, but it'll most often be fished by people that know how to cast a baitcast reel and are knowledgable fishermen; but whom don't have their gear with them.

Does this make sense? I just want to be able to accomodate visitors and guests (nearly all my friends fish!) who don't have their stuff with them.

Thanks.
Jeff

Edited by esoxfly 3/23/2008 1:34 AM
FishingFool
Posted 3/23/2008 9:30 AM (#309171 - in reply to #309132)
Subject: RE: Rod/reel/lures combo for guests in my boat.

For decent rods,try a Gander Mountain 7' or 7'6",another choice is a Tica,(my new favs,) they are inexspensive and good quality.For a reel I would go witha an Abu Garcia 6500 C3.For lures,I guess it depends on the main type of structure...Here are a few must haves...
Top Raider
Believer
Some kind of Bucktail
Super D 8 oz
Storm Kickin Minnow
Make sure you use good line 80lb PowerPro and a quality leaders.
esoxfly
Posted 3/23/2008 3:04 PM (#309236 - in reply to #309132)
Subject: Re: Rod/reel/lures combo for guests in my boat.

Thanks. And thanks for the tip on the line...that was my next question.