changing blades
Posted 3/22/2008 3:30 PM (#309027)
Subject: changing blades

i have some bucktails that have blades that i dont like and are too small fro the bucktail and id like to exchange the blades on the lure with different ones, i thought of maybe if i cut the blade on the lure and they took another bigger blade and put a split ring on it and attach it to the C shaped thing that makes the blade spin "sorry i forgot what that was called" any of you guys ever changed the blades on a bucktail before???if you have how did you do it and did it work out well??

Thanks
Marc J
Posted 3/22/2008 3:38 PM (#309028 - in reply to #309027)
Subject: RE: changing blades

not too many other ways to do it than cut it apart and rebuild it. if you can find or order some bucktail wire you can just restring it on a new wireshaft and use all the parts from the original. staminainc.com has some wire shafts and Thorne bros sells them in their shop.

or just save them for a few years until the blades you don't like are back in style and start showing up again.

Edited by Marc J 3/22/2008 3:40 PM
esoxfly
Posted 3/22/2008 5:54 PM (#309053 - in reply to #309027)
Subject: Re: changing blades

The C shaped thing is a "clevis."

The split ring idea I suppose would work, but I think it'd be awful cumbersome. Buying wire shafts and building them up isn't all that hard. And doing that you could mess around with different beads, weights, etc.

Jeff
Dacron + Dip
Posted 3/22/2008 8:14 PM (#309073 - in reply to #309027)

Lol, how could retying a whole new bait be easier than cutting off the old blade and using a split ring off the clevis to attach a new one?? Once in a while you will have to 'jumpstart' the newly modified bait, other than that you're bait's brand new and good to go. I've done this with at least ten or twelve buck/bootails in my boxes, adding blades that are different colour, style or size (bigger and smaller has both worked). The hook-up is not ideal, but I have revitalized and/or saved more than a few baits using a split ring.
Wigglin Billy
Posted 3/22/2008 8:25 PM (#309076 - in reply to #309027)

It's probably best to learn how to reshaft the bait. That way you can and re-weight, add another blade. When you get that big one and your bucktail looks live a v the lure isn't wasted. I know the last thing I would want is to catch a big fist and not be able to use the lure again. I've never done that with the split ring. It may work.
esoxfly
Posted 3/22/2008 8:48 PM (#309084 - in reply to #309073)

Dacron + Dip - 3/22/2008 6:14 PM

Lol, how could retying a whole new bait be easier than cutting off the old blade and using a split ring off the clevis to attach a new one??

No one said it was easier, but that rebuilding it has it's benefits.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/22/2008 9:28 PM (#309095 - in reply to #309027)

I honestly do not believe that attaching a new blade to a clevis with a split ring would work. The reason is that the clevis holds the blade in the correct position. Using a split ring to the clevis would have it not facing the right way....who knows, I've been wrong before, but if I had to bet my life....nope.

Really....buy some wire and a round twist pliers and just rebuild. It's not rocket science.
Marc J
Posted 3/22/2008 9:30 PM (#309096 - in reply to #309084)

Good stuff. LOL would be what happens when I see a bucktail with blades attached with split rings. More power to you if it works but it's gonna look goofy.

Reshafting a bucktail is about as tough as baiting a hook with a worm, but if I ever get stuck on the water I'll have to try the split ring option.
Dacron + Dip
Posted 3/23/2008 4:20 PM (#309243 - in reply to #309027)

I can only tell you about the 10 or 12 I have re done with a split ring in a pinch. I must have been imagining them all working fine and trying to sell everyone on the idea for kicks LMAO. I should put up a video. Looks goofy?? You honestly worry about stuff like that with a muskie lure? The splitring off a clevis doesn't look any goofier than split rings in the beads to hold the hook an inch and a half down on a Cowgirl I will go retry them all, I could very well have imagined it all, and was just trying to get in on the conversation lol. Ah winternet.
musky12
Posted 3/23/2008 4:25 PM (#309245 - in reply to #309243)

ive also tried changing blades with split rings and didnt have much problems but i have a question for you dacron.....
have you ever had any problems with the blades not spinning right when you change them with the split rings?
Lusox
Posted 3/24/2008 9:36 PM (#309540 - in reply to #309027)

Actually, you can just use your hook cutter or a good side cutters to cut the old blade off, take your chosen blade and cut a slit to the clevis mount hole at a 45* or so from the back and side. Bend it open a bit and close it back up over the clevis. It won't fall off and will work perfectly. Piece of cake.

Lusox
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/25/2008 11:44 AM (#309626 - in reply to #309027)

There you have it.
BALDY
Posted 3/25/2008 1:32 PM (#309648 - in reply to #309540)

Lusox - 3/24/2008 9:36 PM

Actually, you can just use your hook cutter or a good side cutters to cut the old blade off, take your chosen blade and cut a slit to the clevis mount hole at a 45* or so from the back and side. Bend it open a bit and close it back up over the clevis. It won't fall off and will work perfectly. Piece of cake.

Lusox

I would be very careful of that on anything other than pretty small blades. I think the force created would open them up and cause the blades to fall off.

I definitely would not suggest this with #10s and above.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/25/2008 2:10 PM (#309654 - in reply to #309027)

I think between the money you'd spend on blades/wire/split rings, and the time spent farting around, you'd be better off buying the bucktails you want and selling the ones you don't want on ebay.

Marc J
Posted 3/25/2008 8:54 PM (#309732 - in reply to #309654)

Dacron you're a good guy. Ask my fishing buddies, I'm the last guy to worry about the details. You got me to thinking about using split rings to put more space between the shaft and the blades, maybe give it a wider rotation, maybe just look goofy