Details on baits
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 3/13/2008 10:40 PM (#307366)
Subject: Details on baits

Looking at the basement baits forum I am am truely impresed with the workmanship some of you put into baits. The detail is way off the hook.
My question is this. Do you that puttng that kind of detail into a bait you'll actually fish with helps you catch more fish.

I look at suicks,reefhawgs and my old zig-zag bait and don't see that detail in them or many of the others and they all catch alot of fish.

I think its very cool looking but I think its to catch the fishermen and not the fish.

But I will say they are #*^@ pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pfeiff
woodieb8
Posted 3/14/2008 6:14 AM (#307391 - in reply to #307366)
Subject: Re: Details on baits

many lures are folk art. beautifull, but fish at 4mph are more into reaction then beauty.
esoxfly
Posted 3/14/2008 7:10 AM (#307394 - in reply to #307366)

I mentioned in the fly fishing thread that I put so much time and effort into my flies because it's half the enjoyment for me, and I think the work and effort we put into our flies (lure) says alot about how we approach the fishing itself. Tying flies, building fly rods, lures, etc is certainly not a requirement for being a dedicated fisherman. But for me, it's part of the whole evolution. To sum it up, "why fish like a mad man with a box of crappy looking flies I didn't put any effort or thought into."

And of course lures are meant to catch the fisherman first. That's not vanity, it's confidence. I know one of the biggest factors in successful steelheading is a positive, confident attitude on every swing. And that starts with confidence in your fly; confidence that it looks good and is capable of catching fish. Will a piece of yarn or bag of dead roe work? Yes it will, but I've got more confidence in my furry little black and pink rabbit/marabou flies with just the right about of flash for me.

Jeff
Kenslures
Posted 3/14/2008 7:25 AM (#307395 - in reply to #307366)

I totally agree with all of the above. When I go to shows I get alot of compliments on my baits from people that don't even fish. Some say they look way too nice to put in the water. Some people buy them to hang in their cabins. Some people buy them to fish but if they look at them for whatever reason I think I did my job right. I tell some people that its my job to hook the fishermen and their job to hook the fish.
esox50
Posted 3/14/2008 1:48 PM (#307462 - in reply to #307366)

Totally agree with Esoxfly and Ken. Has everything to do with confidence. After the purchase it's our job to impart the correct action and elicit the strike. Color patterns alone won't get the job done...