Muskies survive in shallow Lakes
Musky Toyz
Posted 2/28/2008 11:53 PM (#304606)
Subject: Muskies survive in shallow Lakes

Can muskies survive in a shllow lake Say average of 10 foot deep. Lake is huge and has a shad base. No Pike but does have Walleye, Pearch, bluegill, Bass, trout, catfish and crappie. The Lake is Grand Lake St Marys In Ohio Any replies would be great.
esoxfly
Posted 2/29/2008 12:55 AM (#304608 - in reply to #304606)
Subject: Re: Muskies survive in shallow Lakes

They do pretty darn well in Lake St. Clair.
JKahler
Posted 2/29/2008 2:51 AM (#304611 - in reply to #304606)

I fish 2 lakes that only get to 10-14ft or so. I'm surprised they don't winter kill out.. but the fish are still there. Perhaps they've adapted to lower oxygen levels?
Targa01
Posted 2/29/2008 7:21 AM (#304636 - in reply to #304606)

I've always heard states in your area have a little better O2 content throughout the winter because of less snow cover and not as thick of ice so the weeds still receive some sunlight and can thrive throughout winter. Where we get the weed kill mid-winter and bacteria and other organisms use up O2 during the break down process. You might want to check into that more. It could be doable.
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/29/2008 8:25 AM (#304648 - in reply to #304606)

Long term summer water temps would probably be the deciding factor. Might not kill them but the stress might be pretty negative.
snaggletooth
Posted 2/29/2008 11:12 AM (#304706 - in reply to #304606)
Subject: RE: Muskies survive in shallow Lakes

You have trout on your list of inhabitants. If the trout are surviving the seasons, I would guess the musky are surviving also. Likely they're not far away from the trout, Yummm.

It sounds like a headwaters lake/reservour.

Is there an outlet for water flow through it ?
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 2/29/2008 11:09 PM (#304823 - in reply to #304606)

puckaway in wisconsin, has muskies and gave up state record pike. It has little water over 7 ft feet deep. Its good size but shallow and good weed growth. main food is perch I would say.

Pfeiff

Edited by Don Pfeiffer 2/29/2008 11:14 PM
MuskieMedic
Posted 3/1/2008 12:41 AM (#304829 - in reply to #304606)

Absolutely, there are a few lakes I fish that are less than 200 Acres and less than 20ft with most of the lake being less than 10ft. Most of these tend to be good numbers water and not much size. Typically they are semi-stained to stained and very fertile. Obviously these are lakes that are not usually subject to big winterkills due to some feeder creeks and/or spring fed that keep them well oxygenated. There are a few exceptions to this that are pretty good muskie water, Buckskin near Lac Du Flambeu is definately one of them. I would guess that 80%+ of the lake is less than 4ft deep with only a real small hole of deeper water that is maybe 15-20ft and the hole is only several acres in size. This lake has a huge oxygenating system to help stem off the winterkill and it keeps on putting out muskies.
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/1/2008 8:03 AM (#304843 - in reply to #304829)

for those with alot of experience fishing in super shallow lakes do you fish them differently compared to deeper lakes as far as lure types / sizes / colors / day vs. night, etc? what about the northern most areas in spring warming first deal or since these lakes are so shallow they would warm up pretty consistently all over with fish scattered all over? what is the reasoning behind these lakes being more numbers vs. size lakes?
thanks,
stan
PamuskEhunt
Posted 3/1/2008 9:17 AM (#304850 - in reply to #304843)

Without a doubt Stan. If you're talking about the lake that I think you're talking about than it is pretty necessary to fish it differently than a deeper water lake.
SVT
Posted 3/1/2008 5:45 PM (#304932 - in reply to #304606)

ha get this.....my buddys have 3 fish over 40" out of a lake that gets no deeper than 5ft anywhere in the lake. a 43" northern...and 2 summers ago we found a 52" monster ski strugglin for its life and the surface. Sad to say she didnt make it....
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/1/2008 7:21 PM (#304949 - in reply to #304932)

I was surprised to reread this and realize you claimed trout as an inhabitant of this lake. Does not seem in agreement with the Ohio DNR report and would seem doubtfull looking at the depths on the contour map and the latitude of the lake. Don't know what happens in this lake in terms of water quality but it appears to be a warm water fishery. Probably has enough O2 for musky. Plenty of forage. I would still wonder about temps.
http://www.gofishohio.com/lakemaps/gfoGrandLakeStMarys.php
lots of luck
Posted 3/3/2008 8:37 AM (#305181 - in reply to #304949)

My buddies father has a home on this lake and he claims this lake has awful water quality and gets hotter than heck in the summer. Huge stump fields that they do some clearing on here and there. It does grow crappies something furious though.
Hillbiehle
Posted 3/3/2008 4:02 PM (#305315 - in reply to #305181)

Yes, my father has a house on the lake (Montezuma) and I grew up 15 miles from there and am very familiar with the lake. Excellent party lake, and many great memories of the poker runs, etc... However, the water quaility is horrible. If you dare to swim in the lake, your toenails will honesly change color. From reading the online Celina newpaper, it appears that they are serioulsy looking to pursue some proactive measures to help with the water quality. Anyhow, I think the extreme temperature would be a big factor. Also, other than bass, catch and release is not a norm on this lake. I can just about imagine that there would be zero release.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/3/2008 4:08 PM (#305318 - in reply to #304606)

Grand St. Mary's Lake in Ohio is where I go to get my boat every year...Kozy Marine.

That is a pretty big lake with LOTS of shad, LOTS of Shad!!!!

It would be cool if that lake had muskies in it, but I don't think they would work out in there.