Okuma "Prove You Want A Reel" Contest - Winner is....
Slamr
Posted 2/27/2008 8:54 PM (#304287)
Subject: Okuma "Prove You Want A Reel" Contest - Winner is....

Thanks again to Okuma Fishing http://www.okumafishingteam.com/ for their continued support of MuskieFIRST, and to Mark Rogers for a great chat and a great contest idea! Make sure to check out their new lineup of muskie reels, in the Idx 250s and 400s as well as the Red Isis, and the full line up of muskie rods!
Induron IDx reels:
http://www.okumafishingteam.com/reels/roundbaitcast/induron.html
Red Isis reels:
http://www.okumafishingteam.com/reels/roundbaitcast/red%20isis.html
EVx muskie rods:
http://www.okumafishingteam.com/rods/conventional/evxspecialty.html

And the winner goes to....Muskellunged!

Just the right blend of butt-kissing, simpering, joke telling, and self-deprecation! The picture didnt hurt either! Below is the entry that won it so all of you can see why we voted this one in.

The entry.....

I really want to win this reel. I have a lonesome 7'6" rod and an Okuma reel would mean the world to both of us. The rods previous reel left him, and ever since it has really been in a depressive funk! This reel took away its musky virginity on a northwoods beauty a few years back, and he was instantly reel-whipped! I thought that they'd always be together- until one day, she packed her oil and her line and shacked up with some 9 foot model.

I can't take it anymore. During the night I'm woken up by his whimpers, "Abu Marcia, wasn't I long enough for you?" Occasionly I catch him playing with his own reel seat and pretend I didn't see. He's always staring at other combos longingly, and it's creeping them all out! I've even tried introducing him to other reels but he says they just remind him of her. I sent him on a blind date with a Daiwa but he said she was a lunatic. I think the IDX400 would be just what he needs. 5.1:1, 7BB + 1RB, 13.1oz - that's one sexy reel! It can't be just any reel, though. He needs quality, reliability, and the latest technology. He needs a smooth, strong, & accurate reel. He needs Okuma!

My pic is of a certain handsome moderator whose Okuma visor works in perfect symbiosis with his remarkable hairdo! To the other moderator: your dignity wouldn't allow butt-smooching to sway your vote, so I'll not even attempt. Rather, let me thank you for selling me that reel at the Chicago swap for a fair price. I later understood why you were selling it, because it wasn't an Okuma of course! And lastly, Mark- you represent Okuma so well it has really made an impression on everyone here. It means so much to me that if I am the recipient of this prize, I can always count on you to answer all my questions regarding this stellar company and it's fine products!

Lastly, about me, I am crazily obsessed with this sport. I fish tournaments in Illinois and elsewhere and am relatively new to the sport. Just around a year ago I discovered MuskieFirst, and it's been a real godsend.

I hope if I don't win it goes to Will Schultz, I can't argue with it's proceeds going to a great cause!
schrump
Posted 2/27/2008 9:00 PM (#304288 - in reply to #304287)
Subject: RE: Okuma "Prove You Want A Reel" Contest - Winner is....

Way to go! Very creative and funny entry.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 2/27/2008 9:50 PM (#304301 - in reply to #304287)
Subject: Re: Okuma "Prove You Want A Reel" Contest - Winner is....

Congratulations, but I thought Baldy had the sure winner!
PEteacher44
Posted 2/27/2008 9:53 PM (#304303 - in reply to #304287)

Muskellunged nailed it.....after reading his, my first thought was "I should've written that!" Then I realized I can't write worth a crap...

Congratulations.
Will Schultz
Posted 2/27/2008 9:57 PM (#304306 - in reply to #304287)

That was a winner for sure good job Muskellunged. I particularly like the last sentence.
Ajohnson
Posted 2/27/2008 10:04 PM (#304308 - in reply to #304306)

very good job muskellunged you had a very good reason on why you should have won the reel hope it treats you well!

Edited by Ajohnson 2/27/2008 10:05 PM
curleytail
Posted 2/27/2008 10:05 PM (#304311 - in reply to #304287)

Way to go man! That was a pretty well written essay there. Wasn't surprised to see you win. Guess I'll just have to go and spend money to get my own...geez.

curleytail
Bytor
Posted 2/27/2008 10:06 PM (#304312 - in reply to #304306)

Congrats to my fellow dungeon brother. He worked hard for it. He's got a poll in the dungeon, he even has it in his profile.

There is a herd of sickly yak heading down to the Chicago suburbs, they should arrive early in the AM.

Hi-oooooooo
MuskyHopeful
Posted 2/27/2008 10:12 PM (#304313 - in reply to #304287)

Now I get it. Crap, all it took to win this was creativity, originality, humor, a touch of sexual innuendo, and the picture of someone in power. I should have thought of that.

Congratulations to the winner. It really was a great post.

Kevin

"Because humans are obnoxious sometimes. Humans hate things."

"Well, maybe a few of them do … back east."
Clark A
Posted 2/28/2008 12:11 AM (#304331 - in reply to #304313)

I just threw up in my mouth! That was more @$$ kissing than I did (never read you post!). Congratulations to Mr. Muskellunged from the suburb that I first cohabitated with Chuckles The X-Wonder Wife (127th & Central)! Okuma's are BUTTER smooth and are the Cat's Pajamas of reels. Enjoy, and post a pic of your first Okuma Lunge! Okuma's need to be able to be purchased at Fishing Connections in Tinley Park (2nd location that I lived with IT). Go in and show them the quality, of the "Gotsta Have" muskie reel of 2008! Tell Ken I sent you! Not to totally promote Okuma with only one year of use as a testimonial, but I bought a Cabela's reel that looks somewhat similar (with the half thumb bar-Shimanblow style) a few years ago, and that reel got me 5 muskies in one night. The reel started exploding on the second fish, and was barely usuable of the 5th. I hold the record for 5 Minnetonka muskies in 3 hours under 38"!!!! Everyone else would of had at least one 46"+ thrown in the group. Why me???? Okuma's are NOT Cabela's, B.P.S.'s, or Gander Mountain brand low end muskie styled reels. I'm still going to burn my "S" shirt, in somewhat of a tribute, but mainly due to the pit stains!
mikie
Posted 2/28/2008 6:26 AM (#304351 - in reply to #304287)

Just like work: suck up, move up! congrats, hope you nail a huge fish on it your first time out. m
muskellunged
Posted 2/28/2008 12:03 PM (#304416 - in reply to #304287)

Oh-my-gosh, we won! I feel luckier than a flavor of love and rock of love finalists put together!

First off, I'd like to thank all of the other nominees, just to be included amongst them is enough honor for me! I'd like to thank the academy for voting for me, Okuma for their great musky reel and stellar customer relations, and my agent, oh, I don't want to forget anyone, um , Slamr', my mentor, Lambeau: you push me towards greatness with each and every post, Steve Worral: you're an inspiration to posters everywhere, thank you! (music begins) Thank you everyone who tolerates my posts, good and bad, particularly everyone in the dungeon-and thank you very much MuskieFirst!!

Upon recieving this reel I am going to pour some wine, put on some Barry White- (Let's Get it On), and lock this firecracker of a reel alone in a room with my heartbroken rod. No matter what strange noises I hear coming from that room, I will not open that door!

I am really really happy and thanks again everybody, especially for the kudos on my essay- you are all too kind!

Mike Witowski
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 2/28/2008 7:01 PM (#304545 - in reply to #304287)

good post i guessed youd win
ESfishOX
Posted 2/28/2008 10:17 PM (#304594 - in reply to #304287)

many happy Okumitas muskellunged.