Has anyone ever....?
Fishwizard
Posted 2/22/2008 1:47 PM (#303118)
Subject: Has anyone ever....?

Stupid question, but a curiousity none the less, and not wanting to get into condoning such behavior or debate certain legalities. Has anyone ever tried or dare I say succeeded in netting a follow? I know we've all probably thought about it now and then with a specific fish that we've encountered multiple times, but has any one ever actually done it. I remember trying to net bluegills and what not as a kid at night at the resorts our family would stay at in MN on vacation while one of the other kids would hold a flashlight on them, with no success. I don't mean the accidental attempts to net a fish that is hooked, fought and as you are landing it, it comes unhooked but you are quick enough to net it anyways. I'm saying that you threw to a fish you've seen before planning to have it follow only to have your buddy swing down on it with a net to scoop it up. I don't know maybe it is best left as an unrealistic frustrated idea, but I figured that it doesn't hurt to ask the question.
RUMBLEFISH
Posted 2/22/2008 1:50 PM (#303119 - in reply to #303118)
Subject: RE: Has anyone ever....?

I've never done that , but while hand feeding Tarpon in the Florida Keys I tried to grab about a 100 ponder by the mouth !! Needless to say all I got was wet !! But it was pretty cool !! I also grabbed a couple by the tail as they's swim through my hands !! Talk about power baby ... WOW !!!!
12gauge
Posted 2/22/2008 2:27 PM (#303126 - in reply to #303118)
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever....?

Don't know, but the post on the stories thread about the following muskie that jumped in the boat was pretty cool.
Willis
Posted 2/22/2008 2:40 PM (#303128 - in reply to #303118)
Subject: RE: Has anyone ever....?

In the spring, I sit on my dock and watch them (probably males) swim by all scarred up. I think they're looking for females, or just roaming. Who knows.. . anyhow they swim by slowly all day for a few weeks. seemingly doing laps. I ponder the thought of scooping them up with the frabill, and yes, it would be interesting... However, I could never live with myself. I enjoy watching them swim by every spring. I don't want to terrorize them. (not to mention the illegal part)

JKahler
Posted 2/22/2008 3:49 PM (#303151 - in reply to #303118)
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever....?

There's a story in one of the Rizzo books where his client was fighting a fish and he netted one...and it turned out not to be the fish his client was fighting! That one must have been a late follower or something.