Knipex Cutters
AWH
Posted 2/21/2008 7:38 PM (#302904)
Subject: Knipex Cutters

Knipex cutters are a must to carry in the boat. But my question is, what makes one model better or different than others? I see several different models out there. One is spring loaded, so the difference is obvious there. But I’m wondering on the following 3 models, is there really any difference as far as what they’re able to do for our applications of cutting musky sized hooks?

Model 7491: 10” High leverage center cutter
Model 7101: 8” Lever action center cutter
Model 6101: 8” High leverage end cutter

I have the 7101 and love it. Definitely would never want to be without it. But in considering getting another as a spare (just in case), do one of the other models do anything that the 7101 can’t? They’re all in about the same price range and I'm assuming very similar in their capabilities?

Thanks,
Aaron
MuskyJay
Posted 2/21/2008 7:42 PM (#302906 - in reply to #302904)
Subject: RE: Knipex Cutters

I want to get the one with a ten inch handle. Two more inches would make a big difference IMO.
curleytail
Posted 2/21/2008 7:53 PM (#302909 - in reply to #302904)
Subject: RE: Knipex Cutters

I didn't know they made one with a 10 inch handle. For as easy as the regular one cuts hooks, that 10 incher should be able to cut a shank just about as easy as the standard can cut just one bend.

It might even be enough to be overkill, but overkill is good!

Saying that, if the side cutters can still cut a hook easy enough, they might fit into tight spaces (coming in from behind the gills plate) better.
curleytail