Rumbler Top Water
ranger6
Posted 2/15/2008 11:20 PM (#301400)
Subject: Rumbler Top Water

Any feedback on Rumbler Topwaters? I ran into someone who who really beleives in this bait. Does it offer anything different than Pacemakers or Top Raiders?
sworrall
Posted 2/15/2008 11:30 PM (#301402 - in reply to #301400)
Subject: Re: Rumbler Top Water

I had very good luck with the Rumbler last year, as did Doug Johnson and a few others I've spoken to. A bit higher pitched 'pop', very tunable tail, and very tough. I had a good hook-up percentage on the lure, too.
muskellunged
Posted 2/16/2008 9:31 AM (#301434 - in reply to #301400)

I had success using this bait last season. It will continue being high on my list of favorite topwaters. It is deadly over the weed tops at dusk on my favorite lake. It is different than other prop-style topwaters, and sometimes different is good! It's tunability is especially nice. While I don't place a bunch of stock into colors with regards to topwaters, their color patterns are top-notch.
Mike
Whoolligan
Posted 2/16/2008 9:44 AM (#301438 - in reply to #301400)

I had two of the baits, one rolled, no matter what I did to tune it. If it wasn't rolling it ran well right, or left, of center. I got fed up, exchanged it, and ended up with a bait that worked. After that, I had no problems. I've talked to people on both sides of the camp about the Rumbler. It seems like when you get a good one, you get a good one. When you get a bad one, it is genuinely bad.
That said, I think the good ones are a great bait, they ride a little lower in the water, splash more, and really POP. It's a different pitch than other baits of the same variety, as well, I had better hookups with the bait versus others in the same class.
All in all, it's worth investigation. If you get a bad one, you can always take it back, and get another.
Peaches
Posted 2/16/2008 10:07 AM (#301444 - in reply to #301400)
Subject: RE: Rumbler Top Water

I would like to hear more from the people whoe tuned there rumblers to perfection. I was one of the people that couldn't wait to get my hands on a rumbler, but then decided against getting after hearing poor reports.

I think this would be a very good bait for my style of fishing. The solid body would seems like it would be great for bouncing off rocks on less than perfect casts.

People talk about these baits not running correct straight out of the package. I guess one response to that is, how many suicks run correct without a little tweak?

Jeff
esox50
Posted 2/16/2008 10:48 AM (#301455 - in reply to #301400)

I had a love/hate relationship with mine. Loved it on the rocks, hated it (hate's a strong word... was extremely frustrated) in the weeds. Has an excellent POP when tuned right (cup blade in more). However, they foul pretty easily in the weeds. I am going to do a little more experimenting with mine this year to see if I can fix the fouling-in-weed issues. Overall, I liked it for its different sound, rock solid construction, engineering features, thick prop, and weight (sits low in water). .02 cents.
The Wanderer
Posted 2/16/2008 2:05 PM (#301483 - in reply to #301455)

They are basically the same size as a topraider, and sound the same to me as well. My advice is if you don't have either of these baits buy one in black and if you like it stick with only that one. I have three topraiders of different color for some stupid reason when really I think black is all you need. If you are looking for a different sound then the pacemaker is more of a clacker bait as one of the hooks is positioned to hit the prop and give kind of a clacking noise. I believe all three are great baits. I just wish I hadn't bought so many topraider when the black one is all I ever throw.
JKahler
Posted 2/16/2008 6:58 PM (#301513 - in reply to #301400)

I caught 3 skis on a Rumbler. It's a pain in thick weeds since it rides so low. I use a Teasertail or something like it that rides higher. Good hooking lure IMO..I only had one strike that didn't hook up and I caught that fish on the next cast.