Tournament question
NY Muskie
Posted 2/15/2008 9:37 AM (#301245)
Subject: Tournament question

For those of you that have fished tournaments, are 45 - 50 inch livewells a requirement in the boat? There are so few boats out there that have livewells this large it really narrows your options.

Are there any "portable" livewell systems that guys use in their boats?

If you don't have a large enough livewel, what do you do with the fish while waiting for a judge / official from the tournament?

Thanks
Shep
Posted 2/15/2008 10:28 AM (#301250 - in reply to #301245)
Subject: RE: Tournament question

Most leave the fish in the net, in the water, while waiting for a judge boat to arrive. The big Frabil's are great for this.

In most states, once a fish is put into a livewell, it is considered reduced to possession, and that counts against your daily bag limit. With a 1 fish daily limit, you would be done fishing.

muskellunged
Posted 2/15/2008 10:31 AM (#301253 - in reply to #301245)
Subject: Re: Tournament question

Tournaments generally requires 50 inch livewell, but not always I don't believe. If you are waiting for a judge, you simply unhook the fish as soon as possible and then keep it in your massive net, which acts as a livewell in itself. The importance of a large, rubber coated net is of the utmost importance to all anglers, let alone tournament fisherman.
Mike Witowski
c1650h40
Posted 2/15/2008 10:43 AM (#301256 - in reply to #301245)

Most tournament rules state that the boat must contain a livewell or some other larger container to hold water and a musky. Usually they say a minimum of 34" (WI legal size) but at least 40" is recommended. It depends on the rules of the tournament. Is the sized registered by a judge boat or must you transport the fish to a "registration station" for a tournament official to register the fish.

According to WI DNR wardens that have given talks at tournaments. You can place a musky your livewell to revive the fish but the second you start your outboard motor it is considered transported and you are technically done fishing.

The safe bet is to contact the tournament officials prior to the day of the tournament and ask them what are the requirements for the tournament.
NY Muskie
Posted 2/15/2008 11:41 AM (#301272 - in reply to #301245)

I am cutious because I'm looking for a new boat, and my brother in-law and I have a goal of maybe fishing in a tournament in a year or two.
We have a large net and a cradle.
Thanks
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 2/17/2008 10:52 PM (#301738 - in reply to #301272)

Transport tournaments are getting to be a thing of the past. However I would say get the biggest livewell you can. One that has the ability to put a divider in is real nice. You'll wish you a bigger one if you don't get it. Great for bringing a fish back to release condition or holding there while unhooking. You won't regret the bigger one.
Pfeiff
jonnysled
Posted 2/20/2008 3:22 AM (#302347 - in reply to #301245)

you can buy a 48" livewell from Cabella's ... it's a formed plastic box with a center lid. i got one last year and it's a little over a hundred bucks and gives you a ton of options for powering aereators from doing a total built-in system to just running off an auxiliary battery and aligator clips. you should be able to find it in their catalog ... note: ... not all stores have them in-stock so call ahead.

shoot me a pm if you want a picture ... i'll be gone til the weekend but would be glad to send you a pic when i return if you would like.