Question on Suicks
Beginner
Posted 2/14/2008 11:35 AM (#300994)
Subject: Question on Suicks

I have a question for jerkbait pros. Two years ago I bought a 9", unweighted Suick. I have used it from time to time. (In fact, now I have two of them.)

When jerked/pulled, this Suick dives and then rises--usually headfirst on the rise. Is this correct? My impression was that the Suick should rise tailfirst.

If the head should not rise first, what is wrong? How do I correct it?

Thank you.
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/14/2008 11:52 AM (#301001 - in reply to #300994)
Subject: Re: Question on Suicks

IMO nothign is wrong with it. If you want it to rise tail first just add a small amount of soldering wire to the shaft of the front hook. Or you can drill a small hole in the fron end adn fill with lead or solder. A little epoxy over it and walla, your good to go. I buy old ones on auciton sites and play with them a lot. Love the Suick. It is my favorite lure and also has caught my biggest fish to date. Had a 50"+ on Mil Lacs last year follow up a red/white Suick but I suck at the figure 8 so not takers
James
Shep
Posted 2/14/2008 12:04 PM (#301007 - in reply to #301001)

You anywhere where you can fish with Dave Dorazio? There is nobody that can make a Suick work like he can. He'll get you going in no time. The tail can have a big affect whether the bait backs out or not. Hook hangers must be straight and inline. Some "T" the hooks, some remove the rear hook. I don't jerk the bait, but I do subtle pulls with the rod tip.

But there is the school of thought that you can't work a Suick wrong.
JKahler
Posted 2/14/2008 1:06 PM (#301023 - in reply to #300994)

Look how much more wood is on the front of the Suick vs. the rear end. A head first rise is just the wood bouyancy (I have no idea how to spell that) working it's magic.

Suicks drive me nuts..but I started using them more last season and caught 3 fish on them. I have one that I like and it'll dive left, left, right, straight..it goes all over the place and the skis love it.
muskie! nut
Posted 2/14/2008 1:34 PM (#301037 - in reply to #301023)

JKahler - 2/14/2008 1:06 PM
..it goes all over the place and the skis love it.

Its really all about being erratic. Those fish (sworrall will like this) don't know if a suick is running wrong. They are drawn to the bait by the erratic action you impart. If it rises head first, tail first should not really matter. Get a little side to side action would be more beneficial for the bait drawing fish, if you can get that going, but it works in a straight pull as well.
c1650h40
Posted 2/14/2008 2:50 PM (#301063 - in reply to #300994)

For an unweighted Suick the head first rise is normal in my experience. I have a couple unweighted Suicks and everyone does that. Their weighted versions usually rise level or with a slight head first rise. Being wood the more you use it the more water it will absorb and it will start to run a little different. A couple of my older unweighted ones will run as deep as a dry weighted version.
Beginner
Posted 2/15/2008 5:45 AM (#301212 - in reply to #300994)
Subject: RE: Question on Suicks

Thank you, gentlemen, for the wisdom you impart. I feel more at ease now. And no, I am not anywhere near where Dave Dorazio fishes.
Manta18
Posted 2/15/2008 7:05 AM (#301217 - in reply to #301212)
Subject: RE: Question on Suicks

Suicks are one of my favorite baits, and a "goto" bait when I am having a hard time. I have them that rise head first, level, and rear first (back up). Like stated above, the stop and go action is what is going to draw the strike from those fish. Also, don't jerk the bait, but pull the bait. Another really trick is when you are nearing the end of your retrieve, let the bait float almost all the way to the surface, and just before breaking the surface, pull it down again. You will be surprised at how many fish will eat the bait as it is just floating up towards the surface. In fact, last year when fishing on Little Boy, my brother had his Suick floating in the water after his figure eight and while he was putting in a dip. A big muskie comes out of no where and crushes the bait. Don't know how he missed getting the hooks, but he did.