Muskies where they shouldn't be
stinger
Posted 2/5/2008 8:09 AM (#299071)
Subject: Muskies where they shouldn't be

The other day I was looking over the maps that show muskie distribution (natural and stocked) in the just-released MN DNR Muskie Management Plan. I was wondering about the waters that weren't included... old rearing ponds, "non-muskie" lakes that have kicked out a random muskie, lakes that were stocked back in the 60s and 70s that no longer are stocked but an occasional muskie is still caught there. No doubt these situations fall below the threshold of known "Muskie Waters".

Example: A couple years ago there was a well-published story of a big muskie caught on Shagawa where there's no known muskie population. There's another chain of lakes in northern MN (not on the Muskie list) that occasionally kicks out pure strain muskies and tigers. (I confirmed this with the local Fisheries Supervisor.)

So, my question is can a muskie population "establish itself" over a long period of time to be a fishable population (without active management by DNR or other)? Or are the muskies up against the eight ball of its 'imperfect' environment in these kinds of waters and will always be a scarcity?

(I like to believe there's some secret honey holes out there!... Its been a long winter.)
MRoberts
Posted 2/5/2008 9:30 AM (#299080 - in reply to #299071)
Subject: Re: Muskies where they shouldn't be

Stinger, I think it all depends on the Lake. If the lake has what it takes to grow muskies naturally, it could very likely be a perfect sleeper.

There are many lakes we fish here in Northern Wisconsin that aren’t supposed to have fishable population of muskies, that are our BEST lakes. For every 5 lakes we check out about one produces, some better than others. Some of the most fun I have had on the water is exploring these little jewels.

The best thing to do is check them out for yourself, as many times even the experts don’t know what is hidden under some of these waters. When I was originally researching what I would now say is our best jewel, I asked a WDNR biologist what he thought of the lake and he told me not to WASTE my time as the lake is very infertile and there isn’t enough Oxygen in the lake at depth to support a healthy population of musky. We’ll something must have changed, because I have caught more fish over 40” from this little lake than all the other lakes I fish in this area combined, including my personal best WI fish a 48 ½ incher. Though we haven’t scored one yet we have seen multiple 50” fish for this lake.

Best thing to do is take a boat ride on these type of lakes and if they look like good musky water spend some time fishing, if they are good the fish will start showing up.

Good Luck.

Nail A Pig!
Mike
esoxaddict
Posted 2/5/2008 11:10 AM (#299093 - in reply to #299071)

Johnny Muskieseed strikes again?
tfootstalker
Posted 2/5/2008 5:36 PM (#299185 - in reply to #299071)
Subject: RE: Muskies where they shouldn't be

In MN I highly doubt any sleepers exist. In WI yes. Stocking was started much earlier and some biologist could have inadvertently dumped some fry in a lake once decades ago.
Pedro
Posted 2/5/2008 9:55 PM (#299229 - in reply to #299071)

There are plenty of sleepers in MN. Just look hard and you will find. Like MROBERTS said above, check them out for yourself sometimes it's a waste of time and other times you can find a treasure. With the pressure on lakes now it's fun to look around for a hidden gem.
MuskieTom
Posted 2/6/2008 3:51 PM (#299369 - in reply to #299071)

hey its evolution, life finds a way right?