Idea for Tuffy Boats
curleytail
Posted 1/29/2008 3:19 PM (#297310)
Subject: Idea for Tuffy Boats

After looking at that 1760 tiller in the last post I decided to post this. How many of you guys would be interested in a 1700 or 1760 GC or GT, but with the side tanks like the older (2000 or so) tuffy deep V's had? It would basically be the interior "shape" of the Tuffy Esox Mag in a deep V without the gunnel cap. Keep the center bow rod locker and everything the deep V's have. Could even have the center rod locker and more rod lockers along the sides, or storage in the side tanks or whatever. Seems like it would give an exeptional fishing platform with GREAT room and storage, all tucked into a really smooth handling hull.

I won't be able to get into a brand new boat for a few years, but please have this boat ready by then. I will buy one. Put a 75 Suzuki on this version of a 1760 in a tiller and it will be the first thing I will buy when I get the money! Actually, since you have my permission to use this idea for free, you can just give me the boat and motor. I won't even require it to be pre-rigged or anything.

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 1/29/2008 3:24 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/29/2008 6:23 PM (#297376 - in reply to #297310)
Subject: RE: Idea for Tuffy Boats

If you look back in the archives, I asked for that very rig a number of years ago, but got chewed out by some dude for being so picky. I think my years of squaking about the 'perfect' rig and never laying any cash down finally got to people. Nice to see someone else with similar taste. Ohh... I was asking for a shorter front deck too, which is not what most desire. I ended up getting something that was just what I wanted, but even that company made changes to the tiller now that I don't really like(Ranger). I also had to add my own rear casting deck, which is nearly impossible to do with the new ones(something I like about the Tuffy in that regard). If you find something you really like, be it new or used, snap it up, as it likely won't be made that way forever.
curleytail
Posted 1/29/2008 6:47 PM (#297390 - in reply to #297376)

If I remember right you bought a 618 tiller, right? I remember that conversation from a while back. I really like the looks of them too, but I figured a new Tuffy wouldn't run much over $20, where a new Ranger would be what, 40k or better?

I LOVE the way the new deep V Tuffys are laid out. That 8 foot rod locker that can hold 15 rods looks absolutely AWESOME! But, I would like to lay rods that I have out but am not using down along the side tanks, or maybe even be able to stand on them. It just looks like the area along the side of the new Tuffys is pretty narrow. Looks like it would be hard to lay two or three musky rods down on them.

I'm not knocking the Tuffy design at all, but MAN do I think it would be sweet if they had the layout I am thinking about.

I would think that as much side tank could be exposed as before, but without the cap you would still gain another 4-6 inches or so of open cockpit space...if that makes any sense.

curleytail
Tuffy Boats
Posted 1/29/2008 7:36 PM (#297409 - in reply to #297310)

Looks are deceiving. The side shelf on the 1700/1760 Gt Gc holds three rods nicely; two one way, one the other. Tuffy had the side tank/smaller deck design in the 1700 Renegade, 1760 Renegade, and 1800 Renegade for years ( Tuffy innovated that design in 1976), and it became unpopular. Why? Not enough room for a big net, large tackle boxes, or to move around. It didn't sell well.

The new Esox Deep V IS selling well, so expect we will stick to that until innovation strikes again.

In the Deep V models, Tuffy doesn't have a 'rear deck' which in other boat brands is a carpeted board, they offer a rear deck module that is a 4 sided storage box gull-winged for easy access. 4 bolts and a couple minutes and the deck module is in the boat, or on the garage floor.
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2008 8:06 PM (#297419 - in reply to #297409)

Dude,

Are you kidding me ? A rod locker that holds 15 rods !!!! Who fishes with 15 rods ?? or even has 15 rods ??

Come on get real man !! There is NO way that any boat built has a rod locker that holds 15- 8ft long rods....

Jerome
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/29/2008 8:17 PM (#297427 - in reply to #297419)
Subject: Re: Idea for Tuffy Boats

My Tuffy rod locker held 12 rods. All but 4 of the holes held 8ft rods if I remember right. The bottom row I had a hard time getting an 8ft rod in there but if it were a bucktail rod that was a bit flimsier, I'm sure I could have got one in there. I know the Tuffy 1890's and 2060's hold 15 rods for sure. And yes, I have had a full rod locker many times, as for many other guys I know. Got to be ready for anything, I'm a tackle whore. lol
lambeau
Posted 1/29/2008 8:49 PM (#297439 - in reply to #297419)

Are you kidding me ? A rod locker that holds 15 rods !!!! Who fishes with 15 rods ?? or even has 15 rods ??
Come on get real man !! There is NO way that any boat built has a rod locker that holds 15- 8ft long rods...

ha, Jerome! you saw my Tuffy 1890 up close last year...
the center rod-locker holds 14 rods: 3 rows of 5 tubes each, but the top row center spot is taken up by the rod-locker light.
i can fit 8.5s in the top row with room to spare, 7.5 and 8s in my center row, and 7.5s in the bottom row all without bunching or bending the tips.

i carry 7 casting combos, 4 trolling combos, and occasionally a couple spinning rods. when i've got a guest in the boat there's still room for their extra rods to be out of the way and protected in the rod locker.
that is one of my favorite features of the Tuffy interior layout.
Schuler
Posted 1/29/2008 9:02 PM (#297447 - in reply to #297419)

Top H2O - 1/29/2008 8:06 PM

Dude,

Come on get real man !! There is NO way that any boat built has a rod locker that holds 15- 8ft long rods....

Jerome

My Javelin bass boat has a narrow rod locker and will easily hold 10 rods up to 8'6". When I'm bass fishing, I do have a need for 15 rods. Not a need, but a use I guess.
curleytail
Posted 1/29/2008 9:03 PM (#297448 - in reply to #297419)

Top H2O - 1/29/2008 8:06 PM

Dude,

Jerome

Dude,

check out the Tuffy website..."The 1760's massive 15-rod locker is gas-shocked, LED illuminated and will hold rods up to 8' in length."

Ok, ok, maybe it won't hold 15 8 footers. But it will hold 15 rods, and will hold at least some of them up to 8 feet.

Let's see, 3 of my musky rods, 3 of a buddies, 3 walleye rods for me and 3 for a friend, one bass sized bait caster for each of us. That looks like 14 rods to me. Add a third guy and I've filled up the rod locker and then some. Doesn't sound so crazy to me.

curleytail
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2008 9:23 PM (#297460 - in reply to #297310)

I double up in a few of the tubes on my 1890 and carry more than 15, Dude.
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2008 10:15 PM (#297472 - in reply to #297460)

Ok, Ok, I screwed up, sorrrryy....... Dudes...... But 15 rods ?? I will fish on avg. 12- 14 hrs at a time in the peak summer hrs. and I only have 6 rods rigged with different lures and I guess my partner will have 5-6 rods.. all of which will be kept with in reach and not in the rod locker.

I run a 21 ft Skeeter and don't have any where the storage that a Tuffy or Ranger has... Just a little more fuel on the fire to get a newer boat I guess.

Michael, you do have a sweet boat for sure, see you at Vermilion this summer.

Jerome
curleytail
Posted 1/29/2008 10:29 PM (#297476 - in reply to #297472)

I would say that as far as boat storage is concerned, it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. I think the rod lockers in the new Tuffy's looks awesome. Also interesting that you can fit a couple rods on the side shelfs. I looked at some pictures more closely and would buy that.

The only thing that not having the side tanks is nothing can be stored on the sides of the boat. I still think some side tanks with storage built in would be nice. They don't have to be as wide as they used to be either. Maybe something the width that Alumacraft Navigators have.

Saying that, it was just a suggestion. I still really like the looks of the new Tuffy boats, and when I have the money burning a hole in my pocket some day they will get a close look.

curleytail
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/30/2008 9:40 AM (#297534 - in reply to #297390)

curleytail - 1/29/2008 6:47 PM

If I remember right you bought a 618 tiller, right? I remember that conversation from a while back. I really like the looks of them too, but I figured a new Tuffy wouldn't run much over $20, where a new Ranger would be what, 40k or better?

\

Nope, actually bought a used 690 Tiller. Rare boat and screaming deal, so I had to jump on it. The 618T is the design that I referred to as the one that I don't care for what they went to. I am not brand specific either. If I find what I want/like/can afford, I could care less what it says on the sides. that said, I did check out Mike's 1760 tiller a couple years ago, and really liked it. If they would have had a shorter deck and wider side tanks on that rig, one would be in my garage. Will be interested in seeing the 2008 rigs when out and about this year. Good luck in your search and pestering of manufactuers. It can only assist me in a few years when I decide to upgrade...hehehe.
bn
Posted 1/30/2008 9:43 AM (#297535 - in reply to #297310)

few years? who are you kidding! you'll have that 690 til the motor falls off! tire kicker!

Team 690
Posted 1/30/2008 9:50 AM (#297539 - in reply to #297310)

My 1910 SC Polar Kraft hods 22 rods, up to 8'6...that's right....22 rods.....

Biggest rod locker I have ever seen.

Hulbert
tomyv
Posted 1/30/2008 9:54 AM (#297540 - in reply to #297535)

you can actually get an 8'6" rod in a 1760.
rudy
Posted 2/3/2008 1:52 PM (#298666 - in reply to #297540)

just for the heck of it i wanted to know how many rods would fit on the sidetank/shelf of my 2008 1760t.i put 6 spinning rods/reels and 2 muskierods/reels on the right side without taking up any deck space! there is room for4-5 on the left side[depth finder is in the way]so that's enuf "out of the box" storage for me.i have rod savers on both sides of the front deck that will hold 4-6 more.plenty of space for me!
Posted 2/6/2008 12:30 PM (#299334 - in reply to #297310)

Triton 202 Tiller can hold up 20 all at 9' and longer.
Amazing space.
sworrall
Posted 2/6/2008 1:03 PM (#299340 - in reply to #299334)

Here's a picture of the 'old' design Tuffy had in the Esox Deep V models. it sounds like this is what you were looking for...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1760tiop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1760tiop.jpg (73KB - 307 downloads)
curleytail
Posted 2/6/2008 1:13 PM (#299344 - in reply to #297310)

That's the floor plan I was talking about. But the one concern about that boat (with the fiberglass caps) is lack of floor space in the 'cockpit' area. I was thinking if you made it in a capless design, a few more inches of floor space could be had. Maybe reduce the width of the side tanks by an inch or two each also. Should then be able to widen the open floor space by maybe 8 or 10 inches.

If you can picture the layout of an Alumacraft Navigator, that is basically what I am talking about, just modified a little. Side tanks somewhere between the width of a Navigator and the old Esox style. Keep the bow rod locker and storage the way it is in the new Tuffy's. Then the side tanks could be used for an additional rod locker, bait wells, storage, etc.

However, it sounds like the new models have more room on the side shelf than what I have thought by looking at pictures. I'm not saying I don't like the layout of the new boats. That looks nice too. was just thinking a little...

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 2/6/2008 1:23 PM
sworrall
Posted 2/6/2008 2:16 PM (#299354 - in reply to #299344)

The cap has nothing to do with the floor space, so the GT or GC configuration wouldn't help you much. if you were to take an inch off the side tank, you gain an inch of floor space, and vice-versa. The tanks are the same size in the old design as the Esox Magnum. There are quite a few of these rigs out there, and most who own them really like the boat design, it just went out of favor in general.

If Tuffy left the front deck as is and added side tanks, the cockpit would be tiny, so that's out too. Much of the side tank area in the new models are foamed, according to the folks at the factory, so adding a few inches on the side won't get you side tank storage. However, you CAN add the rear deck module (pictured) or a rear storage locker (pictured) in the new models.

The rear deck module doubles as storage, and opens to either side-- gull wing style lids. it bolts in and out in a couple minutes, and looks like it is part of the boat when installed.

Doubles the back deck space, too.

(DSCN0042.JPG)

(DSCN0044.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0042.JPG (87KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0044.JPG (108KB - 161 downloads)
curleytail
Posted 2/6/2008 6:20 PM (#299408 - in reply to #299354)

sworrall - 2/6/2008 2:16 PM
If Tuffy left the front deck as is and added side tanks, the cockpit would be tiny, so that's out too.

And there's the flaw in my reasoning. Never ran that through my mind. Silly me for thinking I could improve on the design that a bunch of professionals came up with, lol.

The more I look at pictures of the boat, the more the bow rod locker and huge front storage compartments draw me in. Like I said, it will still be a few years before I can think about getting into a new boat like that, but I think I will be strongly considering a 1760 tiller GT.

Thanks for the information Steve.

curleytail
cbuf
Posted 2/12/2008 9:42 AM (#300425 - in reply to #297310)

I'm with you I had a renagade magnum until the fire and have been searching for that boat since. I have also been looking for 3 boats that are simliar and can't underatand why they are not made any more. (Range 681, the tuffy esox rampage, and the tuffy renagade) I do not care about storing 15 rods, I just want to be able to keep out 6 six on the deck between my partner and myself. two main rods and a through back for each of us. I think the gas fill is in the wrong spot on the 1760 and pervents me from laying down a bunch of rods, and the ranger 618 is heavy and to big for some of the ramps and lakes I fish. The Esox magnum is an anesome boat that has stood the testof time so obviously the design works they just need to make a deeper version.

In my opinion there is no more mid size boat that fishes smaller water well, but can still contend bigger water on occasion.

I have a call out to steve to see if I can still get a tuffy esox rampage, or I'm looking at a alumacraft navigator.

any thoughts on going aluminum? the navigator has 54" livewell plent of storage big gas tank, nice back deck, rod storage on each side, and open floor plan

cbuf
curleytail
Posted 2/12/2008 2:55 PM (#300498 - in reply to #297310)

I think the only negative of the Alumacraft is the aluminum part. Realistically, I don't fish big enough water to worry about it. I guess if you are always on very large, open lakes the fiberglass is the only way to go. I fish days where I would probably want fiberglass, but those days are few. I have ridden in a Navigator tiller (2001, they have been updated in 2005 - wider, 92 or so inch beam in the 165). I was impressed with how well the boat handled rougher water, seemed fairly dry. Like you noticed, they are layed out VERY well. They have dual rod lockers. The pre '05 boats only had 7 foot rod lockers, but I hear that you can cut out the front plate of the locker and turn them into 8 foot lockers. What other 16 foot boat can you have dual 8 foot rod lockers?

That's pretty much the boat I am currently in the market for. If anyone has an early 2000 Navigator tiller with 60 4 stroke let me know...

curleytail