Tuffy G-Series
NY Muskie
Posted 1/28/2008 1:51 PM (#296964)
Subject: Tuffy G-Series

I am curious how much of a difference there is between the G-series hull and the regular hull. The other part of the question is on average how much of a difference is there between the price?

Thanks
lambeau
Posted 1/28/2008 2:19 PM (#296970 - in reply to #296964)
Subject: Re: Tuffy G-Series

i ran a 1760GT in '06, and know a number of people who have 1760s with cap.
i'm now running an 1890DW with the cap.

my experience is that the G-series feels and fishes significantly more "open" than with the gunnel. you have a couple inches more interior beam space, and you are a couple inches closer to the water when working on a fish in the net, etc.
i find this to be a big benefit in a mid-size boat such as the 1760, and that boat in a G-series model fishes more like boats much larger than it is. it's also a couple hundred pounds lighter, which means improved performance in certain conditions.
this thread should be helpful to you as it includes pictures of a 1760GT and 1700C, both without caps.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26...

Steve Worrall was running an 1890GDS last year, and it's crazy how wide open it is. Jeff Hanson is currently running an 1890GT and that's an aircraft carrier it's so wide open with no gunnel and no consoles!
that being said, in a bigger boat such as my current 1890DW there's so much deck/interior space already that i haven't felt the need to expand it even more by going to a G-series, and i like the extra couple inches of hull height to deflect spray when running the waves on bigger water.
it's nice that Tuffy offers the buyer the option to get the boat the way they want it.

i'm not sure of the price difference, though i know the G-series are less expensive due to not having to build the fiberglass cap for the gunnel.
contact any dealer to get some comparison quotes:
http://www.tuffyboats.com/dealer.asp

you might also check the classifieds here if you're considering a used model:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=14
MuskieFIRST
Posted 1/29/2008 11:26 PM (#297485 - in reply to #296964)
Subject: RE: Tuffy G-Series

The G-Series hull and components are identical to their Series counterparts, only the gunnel is different. The G-Series are a bit lighter, gunnels are lower to the water, they have more interior deck room, and are less expensive.
nwild
Posted 1/30/2008 8:37 AM (#297521 - in reply to #297485)
Subject: RE: Tuffy G-Series

I have run both the G series and the capped models of the 1890. They are identical hulls one is just a bit lighter without the cap. Believe it or not there is a slight difference between the two in feel. The G Series is a bit lighter and you can feel that a bit in its performance. It handles the water very well but is a touch "sportier". The first time I ran it it was immediately noticeable after running a capped model for a year and a half. Running the 1890 the difference in perceived room was negligble, either way you have all the room you need.

The capped version you can feel the weight of the cap in the ride. It really settles the boat in big water but is a touch less sporty. There is a additional feeling of "security?". probable not the best term as they both handle big water great, but the extra weight just settles the boat a bit more.

Fishing wise they both have there +'s, the G Series allows for a more comfortable release being closer to the water, while the capped model a bit more comfort casting, I almost always have my foot on the cap when on the front deck. I actually almost fell in the water the first time I was in the G series trying to put my foot on the nonexisting cap.

The biggest of the issues I feel are largely aesthetics. I really like the finished look of the boat with the cap. It is up to you if you are willing to spend the extra dollars for the this look. Both boats ride great and fish very well.

Like Mike said, it is great to have both options available.

Edited by nwild 1/30/2008 8:38 AM