Looking to extend deck...
Bruce
Posted 1/24/2008 9:20 AM (#295998)
Subject: Looking to extend deck...

What is the preferred wood? Plywood, 1/2 or 3/4 thick? I saw somw old posts where one fellow had to rebuild below due to carpenter ants. Looked like partical board. I think he fiberglassed over it though. I have never played with fibergalss. Is the smell bad enough that it is an outdoor project? Thanks.
VMS
Posted 1/24/2008 10:00 PM (#296236 - in reply to #295998)
Subject: RE: Looking to extend deck...

3/4" marine grade plywood for decking. It will have enough stability that you won't feel it sag under your feet. Good support under it never hurts either.

Steve
Bruce
Posted 1/25/2008 7:35 AM (#296268 - in reply to #295998)
Subject: Re: Looking to extend deck...

I'm still waiting for a reply from the mfg who is closed this time of year up in NW Ontario. Specs say load for this hull is 2195 lbs. Looking at a picture my wife shot of the boat with 2 people in it, makes me believe it will handle it. Bow is still high. Load I usually carry cant be more that 700 lbs, including people motor and equip.
Schuler
Posted 1/25/2008 11:27 AM (#296319 - in reply to #295998)

On both my Alumacraft and Javelin I used 3/4" treated plywood. I also used a few 2x4's for added support around the edges.
kap n jim
Posted 1/28/2008 2:10 PM (#296968 - in reply to #296319)

I'd have to dig through the archives, but when I did my extension I think I glued and screwed together two pieces of 1/2-inch regular plywood, I then painted the wood with outdoor paint and then carpeted......
setme31
Posted 1/28/2008 3:05 PM (#296987 - in reply to #295998)

I'm the guy that rebuilt his boat due to carpenter ants (not the actual cause though).

The floor was redone with 3/4" plywood. The entire sheet was coated in resin, and the top portion of the floor was coated with more resin and fiberglass for extra strength. Some of the pictures may look like they are particle board, but that is just the reflection from the fiberglass and resin.

I also built a casting deck 3 years ago that is still as strong as the day I built it. I made it out of 3/4" plywood. I treated all of the pieces with wood sealer, and then assembled it. Once I had it glued and screwed together, I painted the entire deck with outdoor primer and paint. Then I carpeted the top and outside edges.

The smell of resin (fiberglass is just fabric) depends on the type of resin you use. The stuff i used didn't have any smell. In fact, I only used a mask to prevent splashes from getting in my mouth. I believe (don't quote me) that most resins are fire hazards, so it should be done outside. I did my entire project in my detached garage. I left the garage door and the exit door in the back cracked for safety.

Here is a link to the place I got all of my supplies from.
http://www.mertons.com/Epoxy/epoxy_resins/pot_life.html

They have a great link on their site on how to safely and effectively use epoxy resin and fiberglass.

Edited by setme31 1/28/2008 3:19 PM
Bruce
Posted 1/28/2008 8:07 PM (#297074 - in reply to #295998)

Thanks for all the responses. The existing little deck is too small for 1 seat and I think a larger deck will be safer. Seems one long one will be easier than trying to butt up a second deck to the first. Think spring as I have to work on this outdoors.