Passport
PANTLEGGER
Posted 1/22/2008 1:02 PM (#295482)
Subject: Passport

This has been beaten to death, but now that we are past the 1st. of the new year, does anyone know for sure if passports are required to get back in the US from canada by car? or is our government going to come up with a cheaper alterior way of screening people.

Thanks
mikie
Posted 1/22/2008 1:08 PM (#295484 - in reply to #295482)
Subject: Re: Passport

There is a new exemption if you live in a 'border state' that starting Feb. 1 will let you get an ID card that's like an EZ Pass at the toll booth for $45. I think they also bumped the year passports are required back to '09. Good time to order one now before spring break, mine took <2 weeks to arrive. m
Joe Cal
Posted 1/22/2008 7:23 PM (#295611 - in reply to #295482)

I just emailed the chippewa county courthouse about this issue yesterday and they replied back that as of July 1, 2008 you need a passport. So I went down today to get my application.
kreegz
Posted 1/22/2008 8:17 PM (#295647 - in reply to #295482)

so you can only use that id pass thing if you live in a boarder state??? i live in WI i was really hoping i could get that
momuskies
Posted 1/22/2008 8:22 PM (#295649 - in reply to #295482)
Subject: RE: Passport

I don't believe that you need a passport to until July 2009. Check out: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

You do need a document in addition to your drivers license such as a birth certificate.
Joe Cal
Posted 1/22/2008 8:44 PM (#295659 - in reply to #295482)

"In addition, U.S. law requires that Americans entering the U.S. from Canada by air (including those returning by air from short trips to Canada ) must have a valid passport. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, and land travel by the Summer of 2008."

This is off that site posted above, I interpet that as What I was told- "July 2008"
momuskies
Posted 1/22/2008 8:54 PM (#295661 - in reply to #295482)

From the Customs and Border Protection website:

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Two Document Option

All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the columns below.

Identification Documents*

* Driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
* U.S. or Canadian military identification card

* All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth.

Citizenship Documents

* U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
* U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
* U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
* U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
* U.S. Citizen Identification Card
* Canadian Citizenship Card
* Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

I do not believe a passport is required, but if it truly is, somebody please inform me. I am planning on going to LOTW in August, but was not planning on getting a passport.
Slimeball
Posted 1/22/2008 10:02 PM (#295679 - in reply to #295482)

The U.S. Gov. has again delayed a requirement that all auto travelers have a passport to cross back into the United States from Canada and Mexico.
Drivers now wont be required to show a passport to re-enter the United States until mid-2009, a year later than planed.

My step brother confirmed this. He is a U.S. Customs Agent.
Nupe
Posted 1/22/2008 10:45 PM (#295687 - in reply to #295482)

A good site to help you keep on top of this is the message board on andymyerslodge.com:
http://www.andymyerslodge.com/canada_fishing_reports.htm

Herbie keeps on top of this, providing updates as well or better than probably any Canadian resort I know of.

Hope this helps!
PANTLEGGER
Posted 1/23/2008 8:35 AM (#295717 - in reply to #295482)

Thanks guys, i really do not plan on getting one unless absolutly necessary.

Mike Bruggink
KidDerringer
Posted 1/23/2008 9:49 AM (#295731 - in reply to #295482)

Passports are old school...had one since 70's.

State fo the state ways to go now...

Now US customs have computer chip style info mini scanner skiamodes...they are called Nogg'enNews....if you wish to go this way ...like for hounds an kids....Nogg'enNews ID CHIP filled with everything YOU.....all info injected into your skin under skull. When you aproach check points...everything pops up on screen an off you go.
Cheap @ around $500 each...just ask for Tommy II at Frankies Marine in Chisago City......they will find me an we will get you set up.

For those of you that lose papers or simply don't like simple surgery any type pain...or don't want to wait in lines either you might want to take advantage of the NEW DRIVE THRU type entry points....for these the Nogg'en News incerts work just fine BUTT....you can now also get the NEW EGPISS --- Easy Glide Personal Identification Supository System.
What is a EGPISS you ask?
Smooth, copper, 1" x 3" Bullet type cylder you cram up yer keyster ------ just before trip an remove when back home...wash ( or Not you choice) store, reuse next time leave USA soil.
All your American info / data recored on chip in EGPISS an registors when passing thru drive by customs.
A fun additon with the EGPISS ---Mooning public or State / Gov officials is welcomed.
Aint life easy now.

Oh yeah just ask for Fart Boy over to Schmidtys an we will get you going on your way ASAP with a EGPISS unit today.
Free venison jerkey with purchase.
$200
Simple ways of the future to get in an out of the USA....multi choice at its finest.
The future is now.
: )

Seriouly...go get a passport...last a long time an when you need it your in like Flint.
Never know when a crew of hungry badge wearing dounut munchers is going to haul ya in for what ever they choose.
Be prepared.

The one an only Fart Boy...Musky Tom Wehler

Life is short...Keep on Rocken!

Edited by KidDerringer 1/23/2008 10:58 AM
JohnMD
Posted 1/23/2008 10:53 AM (#295753 - in reply to #295731)

I just don't see what the problem is, Sooner or Later you will need a Passport to get Back from Canada/Mexico and the Carribean be it in 2008 or 2009 it will happen, Just go and get it now and be done.

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/23/2008 11:00 AM (#295755 - in reply to #295753)

JohnMD - 1/23/2008 10:53 AM

I just don't see what the problem is, Sooner or Later you will need a Passport to get Back from Canada/Mexico and the Carribean be it in 2008 or 2009 it will happen, Just go and get it now and be done.

Amen!
momuskies
Posted 1/23/2008 11:54 AM (#295767 - in reply to #295482)

I agree that getting the passport is the best solution, however, as a student with thousands of dollars of money going out and little money coming in, I would prefer to defer that cost until I've got a job. Just my situation. Anyway, I would rather spend what little money I do have on some sweet jerkbaits and materials to make some bucktails.