Question for the guides
fins355
Posted 1/19/2008 12:09 PM (#294987)
Subject: Question for the guides

Do you think most of your clients are comprised of guys that spend more than 30 days a year chasing muskies who are really looking to learn a lake and your technique, or are they mostly guys who fish maybe 1-2 weeks a year and just want a good, enjoyable day on the water?

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts on this.

Best Regards,
DougP

nwild
Posted 1/19/2008 2:53 PM (#295013 - in reply to #294987)
Subject: RE: Question for the guides

You want a real clear answer? Probably about 50/50. I get anglers of every experience level in the boat throughout the course of the year. Many beginners, and some who are awesome sticks either looking to learn water or not wanting to fish alone.

A whole bunch of my clients are hiring at the start of their week long trip. These anglers are usually looking to learn the water, but could be of any experience level.
sworrall
Posted 1/19/2008 3:50 PM (#295023 - in reply to #294987)
Subject: Re: Question for the guides

Norm, I was about to say the same thing.
dougj
Posted 1/19/2008 4:10 PM (#295024 - in reply to #294987)

I get both also, but I would guess there are more what I would call pretty fair muskie fishermen and fisherwomen who are looking for an edge for their week long trip to the LOTWs. Most are more conserned with learning than catching a 50"ers, but hope what they learn will help them in their quest when they are fishing by thereselves. I have folks who have come for 30+ years, not real sure why?

For most it's usually a pretty intense week and they want to take advantage of every minute, but I get some laid back folks also.

I get an occasional person who has decided to take their one lifetime trip to the LOTWs, and they will spend the whole week with me. These folks are usually pretty good fishermen, and are hoping that a 50"er bites, so do I!

Doug Johnson
guideman
Posted 1/19/2008 9:31 PM (#295061 - in reply to #295024)

In the last few years Vermilion has gotten pretty popular. I have had lots of good sticks just trying to learn the water the first couple days of their vacation.

Otherwise it's split pretty even between the once in a while Muskie fishermen and the real hard core Muskie anglers.

"Ace"
fins355
Posted 1/20/2008 7:16 AM (#295090 - in reply to #294987)

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the response. Seems like a pretty even balance between the two.
Do you think that is going to change in the coming years. Seems like there are not as many "casual" fishermen or vacationers as there used to be.

Terry, been a long time since we "argued last". LOL! Thanks for the answer.
Wow! You sure have a long list of sponsors,eh?

Best Regards,
DougP
tuffy1
Posted 1/20/2008 8:44 AM (#295096 - in reply to #295090)

I'm in the same boat as Norm so to speak. I get a lot of newbies, but also a fair number of guys looking to learn the lakes faster. Throw in a few regulars that only get out a handfull of times each year, but want to get on fish faster in their limited time.

It's fun getting a diverse group of people as it always keeps me learning on how to help different people with diverse backgrounds get on fish.
Trophymuskie
Posted 1/20/2008 8:49 AM (#295097 - in reply to #294987)

My business if different then most. I'm not in a resort type area and quite out of the way. The majority of my clients are experienced as well as my average trip is 4 days. They come up here to catch 50+ inchers. I'm sure the majority learn from the experience but they don't drive the 12 hours to learn the waters, way to big to learn in a few days. They come up here to catch their fish of a lifetime.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 1/20/2008 1:16 PM (#295123 - in reply to #294987)

Being in a popular resort area I get a wide mix. I think my musky fishermen are about 50/50 but I do get a lot of calls for multi-species fishing and the majority of that is folks who fish on a very limited basis. I tend to get a fair amount of family business for people who just want to catch whatever's biting and may only fish during their week or two a year on vacation.
dockboylures
Posted 1/21/2008 12:17 AM (#295249 - in reply to #294987)

To go along with this, how many times do you guys get someone that can't cast baitcaster, doesn't know what a figure 8 is etc? Basically they dont know anything about it, but have heard stories/seen pictures and want to catch a musky.
tuffy1
Posted 1/21/2008 7:10 AM (#295264 - in reply to #294987)

I would say probably a little over 50% of the time. I still haven't had a person that I couldn't teach how to use a bait caster pretty fast. However, I have had quite a few blown figure 8 fish due to the client not understanding that they really WILL hit at the boat on a figure 8. DOH!
LarryJones
Posted 1/21/2008 7:48 AM (#295267 - in reply to #294987)

Here on the Niagara River 50% of my Clients are repeat clients that return to fish every year,some are very experenced but do not want to pull their own boat through the snow belt to get here in November.The other 50% is split between people that have never fished for muskies ,just wanting to be lucky enough to catch one and those bringing their own boat and taking the first day out with you to get an idea where to start.All leave here understanding the importance of good catch & release ethics.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/21/2008 8:52 AM (#295278 - in reply to #294987)

I would have to say that it's a 50/50 deal for me. I get some of the hardcore muskie guys/gals, but also get a good number of beginners(including children) . If the indivudual has little or no experience with a baitcaster(I will already know this from my fact finding), we will take the necessary time to practice casting as well as practicing "boatside manner". We do this 1st thing in the am, BEFORE we even hit the 1st spot. It can be pretty frustrating pulling into the "zone", holding the boat in 3'waves on THE spot, only to have mechanical(casting) issues. They do happen, but I feel it's part of my job to minimize those issues. Being able to cast the baits is only part of the equation. In my opinion, "boatside manner" is equally important. The smooth transition(takes practice) from cast to 8 is paramount. A perfect 8 doesn't mean a whole lot when she bolted 30yds away!Good topic! Steve

"Practice doesn't make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect"
guideman
Posted 1/21/2008 10:21 AM (#295303 - in reply to #295278)

Hey Doug, it's been a while.

I still get a lot of Big V locals, that have been hard core Walleye fishermen their entire lives.
They see all the big fish pictures in the local paper and just want to take a shot at boating a Muskie.

Many of them have never owned or used any baitcasting equipment. Some do struggle at first to cast effectively but they eventually get the hang of it. I do
reccommend half days to all my first time
Muskie fishermen. I have found that most newbies can't hack it for 8 or 10 hours on their first trip.

"Ace"
troy trebesch
Posted 1/22/2008 5:40 AM (#295443 - in reply to #295303)

from a clients point of veiw, I fish with guides about 12-16 days a year and 25-30 days a year without, I would like to belive that my skills are pretty good but i learn something new every time out with a guide. I would say 90% of fishing with a guide for me is having a partner that runs the boat and just lets me fish, plus I love to hear the stories of clients that get there first fish ( or first 50in ) its like living the moment all over again-if that makes sense? Only downfall to this is I have to listen to my wife nag about how I have this new $45000 boat and Im out fishing with a guide for $400+ a day while its collecting dust-just cant win!
fins355
Posted 1/22/2008 7:08 AM (#295445 - in reply to #295443)

I don't get to fish muskies as much as many of you, maybe 10-14 days per year. When I do, I really enjoy the total experience. The sights sounds and smells of the north woods, so to say.
Haven't yet pulled the trigger on hiring a guide, but plan to before I get too old for this stuff. LOL!
One of the benefits for me in hiring a guide would be to listen to his/her experiences with big fish and the past clients.
Learning new things is great and there is a lot I could learn, but an enjoyable day on the water with a guide who has "been there and done that" and willing to share past moments with notable fish and clients seems to be more my thing.
I've always wanted to fish the "Chip", not necesarily to catch big fish or any fish for that matter. I would want to do it for the history and the "lore" surrounding that body of water. I would want a guide that could share that history from his experience and fish all the spots that have produced the "biggies" over the decades. I really enjoy the "mystique of the north".
There are many bodies of water that come to mind, Flambeau flow., Vieux Desert, Lac Court Oreilles among others in Wi. Some others would include Georgian Bay, St. Lawrence, Lake Chautauqua.
Buuuut, that said, I sure would enjoy fishing a few days with guys like Richard Collin, Larry Jones, Marc Thorpe or Doug Johnson for that Fish of a lifetime, eh?
So I guess I'm split maybe 70/30, at least for now.
Thanks guys, I know you have a very difficult job. Enviable on the surface, stressful and exhausting at times I'm sure.
Hope to fish with some of you..... someday!

Best Regards,
DougP

Edited by fins355 1/22/2008 8:12 AM
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/22/2008 8:31 AM (#295448 - in reply to #295445)

DougP, nice read, I enjoyed your post. So much of my clients are newbies because of my business accounts. Many of them from southern states that have never heard of a musky. Honestly, they are some of my favorite clients. When they hop in my boat, they are 100% green. So often there is the excitement of showing them these huge rods and lures and telling the stories and crash course on muskies. When you explain to them that they are so difficult to catch, they are always up for the challenge. When they get a strike or catch a fish the excitment is elevated more than anyone else I've had in my boat and it allows me to relive my first fish over and over again. I love it. Never did I think I would get to see adults act like 10 year olds in the way that a guy who didn't know what a musky was 4 hours ago does with a fish in his hands.

Experienced anglers are great too. It's not because I'm not taking out backlashes (doesn't really bother me) but the fact that I can teach the water instead of the sport. What I mean is I can talk about individual locations on the water and focus on in depth magnum fish catching rather than, cast this way, figure 8 this way. Typically, it results in more fish in the boat. It's also a double benefit because I learn so much. You stand to learn from everyone you meet and it's exciting to hear others stories of big fish from other waters, favorite baits, stories about Dad, etc.

Bottom line, fishermen are good people. Each day I guide is a blessing and while there may be long hours, time away from home, abused equipment, etc. it has never bothered me. My days are always filled with good times and rather than stress, there is a sense of urgency. Good day or bad, guides want you to catch fish and we're going to do everything we can to get you one. I can fail to put a fish in the boat once in awhile, but I won't fail on trying and providing the tools needed for success.