shopping for new computer
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/15/2008 3:25 PM (#294238)
Subject: shopping for new computer

I am currently running a 10 year old Dell(ancient, I know). I am in the market for a new rig, and I would prefer to stay with Dell(not sure why, but feel comfortable with them). My question is, which one to buy? I am looking for the best/fastest rig for my money. Now, I don't game at all so do not need something geared for it. I will be using it for media storage for the most part(photos, music and video) and also for computing finances etc.(excel, powerpoint, Word needed). I have been looking at both the xps units and the Inspirons and really have a hard time telling the difference other than a huge price. Also, not sure how much memory I'll need(RAM). I see some offered at 1 G and some at 3 for alot more$$$.

Lastly, I plan to do alot of cd burning, a fair amont of dvd burning and video making with my mini dv recorder. Probably want a dual drive then ehh? I was wondering if there was a certain software some preferred for video editing for mini dv systems and if my new computer choice would be dictated by such options.

Last Lastly, I'll need a decent middle of the road al inclusive printer/scanner etc.

If any of you have recently purchased a computer and have pros and cons to relate, I'd greatly appreciate it. Again, the wife and I have been looking at Dell for the most part, but would consider otherwise no doubt.

Oh, one more thing, I will want to put alot of my old files from my old rig onto the new computer. Is there a wa to do this while being sure I am not transferring a virus to the new system(maybe a good anti virus recomendation needed too...).

Thanks a ton in advance. Wish it was as easy as calling my buddy and having him make up a couple custom spinnerbaits......

sworrall
Posted 1/15/2008 4:11 PM (#294243 - in reply to #294238)
Subject: Re: shopping for new computer

I have a couple Dell desktops, a XPS 410 dual core a Dimension C521. I use both for editing and burning, both are fast. I must say I'm not fond of Windows Vista, but get around it on the 521. You can find a hot deal on the 521 pretty loaded up here:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-Dimension-C521-AMD-Athlon...

Not a dual core, but the AMD processor seems to be really fast on my machine, at least.
* Desktop features AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 GHz) processor
* Computer has 250 GB EIDE SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
* 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
* 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
* Norton Internet security 15-month subscription
* 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 HyperMemory
* V.90/56K PCI DataFax Modem
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* 13-in-1 media card reader
* Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Reader
* Microsoft Works 8.5
* USB 2-button mouse
* USB keyboard

For $290, it's a pretty nice machine and will do everything you mention easily.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/15/2008 4:17 PM (#294245 - in reply to #294238)
Subject: RE: shopping for new computer

Wow, that does sound like a pretty good deal. I will also be shopping for a new monitor and all fixings, and would assume most accessories from Dell will be supported by that unit.

Hey, I have messed with Vista a bit myself, and have not been overly fond of it either. Have heard, though, that it was created for media buffs. What don't you like about it? Is it something that can be overcome/learned? Or are the issues inherent of the software design, and always problematic? I prefer XP, and wish it was still widely available.

Thanks again.

Jason Schillinger

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/15/2008 4:18 PM
sorenson
Posted 1/15/2008 5:52 PM (#294264 - in reply to #294238)

Jason,
For additional storage, I'd just go down to Costco and pick up an external hard drive. They're ridiculously cheap now for gigs and gigs of storage. They're pretty reliable too. If your main hard drive and/or computer crashes, you still get to save the external stuff.
S.
sworrall
Posted 1/15/2008 6:10 PM (#294268 - in reply to #294238)

Mostly Vista irritates me because of the continuous layers of security interfering with simple computer tasks. Sure, you will get used to it pretty quickly, I think. Sorno is correct, you can get a 250 gig external pretty cheap. I store all the OutdoorsFIRST videos and images on a Seagate 250, love that thing. I back it up occasionally by burning the best stuff to CD and storing that, too.
ToddM
Posted 1/15/2008 10:09 PM (#294296 - in reply to #294238)

Jason, I have your answer right here. Go to dell.com, type in refurbished in the search field. Goto the dimension desktop section and look at what is available. They are scratch and dent and refurbished models, like new with new warranties. Upgrades are available too. They have a notebook section too. Two of my three dells are from the refurb section. No issues and they are about 50% cheaper. I just got this puter here AMD dual core 3g memory, video card speaker package and a 20" flat screen for under a grand. My other one I bought 3 years ago I got for less than 500 bucks. The 500 dollar computer I built in the new section to compare price and it was over a grand.

If you see one you like, get it, you are looking at just one computer and in 15 or so minutes, it will be bought and gone.

They have refurbished flat screens too. I paid 180 bucks for the one I am looking at right now.

The only thing that sucks with this puter is it has vista. This computer is no faster than my 5 year old 1gig 2.4 dell. I am going to call dell and get xp, vista will be out of my life soon. many of the dell refurbes have Xp, get one of those.
Magruter
Posted 1/16/2008 10:34 AM (#294377 - in reply to #294238)

Jason,
What's your budget?
When are you looking to buy?

I've seen some solid deals for brand new desktop and laptops lately. What are you in the market for; desktop or laptop?

If you want give me a call, I've built 2 computers from ground up in the last couple years and helped friends save some $$ when they buy retail.

We can work out file transferring and anti-virus when you get the computer.

Or if you want to spend some cash get one of these!!
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

Edited by Magruter 1/16/2008 10:46 AM
Magruter
Posted 1/16/2008 10:43 AM (#294378 - in reply to #294377)

I believe most of these deals are ending today.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/hot_offers_dt?c=...
the vostro with 19 inch monitor is the cheapest way to go, but not a way I would suggest.
Shep
Posted 1/16/2008 11:23 AM (#294388 - in reply to #294378)

WIth the prices these days, I'd suggest a Laptop and a desktop. If you can only do one, I'd go with the Laptop. I have a Dell D830 widescreen that is pretty nice, with a docking station. I agree with the external HD. I have a 22" Wide Mag LCD that I paid about $240 for. That is really nice, big and clear.
VMS
Posted 1/16/2008 12:42 PM (#294402 - in reply to #294388)

Being that there are constant problems and updates you must apply to any PC along with virus protection programs that must be purchased to stay current with the windows operating system, I would suggest looking into an Apple computer of some sort. You will spend a little more money on them, but after you have switche and become comfortable with the operating system, I'll bet you never go back...

No defragmenting or cleaning up the hard drive, no worry about viruses riding in on some website you just went to because when the computer detects something wrong, it shuts the program down so the virus/trojan, etc cannot even be uploaded...

Along with I-tunes, and video editing software already in the computer system, which both are easy to use, you'd be all set. And the computer will also have wireless capability (no need for a separate program, or a wireless internet card), along with the ability to take photos, talk to another apple computer via Bluetooth,

If possible, take a waltz into an Apple store and consider them as well. Lots of room on a hard drive and unless you continue to spend time with all the utilities that are needed in a PC to keep it running efficiently, you will find the apple computers to be faster at everything, and there will not be problems with the operating system like every windows program that comes out. The bugs are dealt with well before the release of the new system.

Apple is a very safe move and well worth the $$

But...that is just my opinion... I run both and when it comes time to upgrade the main computer at home, it will definitely be apple. The only place I'll run a PC will be in school (which may not be long...many schools are going back to apple because of all the "issues" with the windows operating system and PC upkeep.)

as for transferring files, some of the upper end apples will be able to deal with windows software, so conversion will be fairly easy. Customer support is excellent as well.

Never hurts to find out all of the options...

Steve

Edited by VMS 1/16/2008 12:45 PM
castmaster
Posted 1/17/2008 8:55 AM (#294534 - in reply to #294238)

I'm also in the market for a new computer(would love to go the mac route but just not in the finances right now) and could use a bit of advice from you computer savvy folks.
I'm looking to buy one in the $600 range and have it narrowed to 2 models(I think). One is a Dell Inspiron 531, with a AMD Athlon 64xz Dual-Core 5000+ Processor, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2SDRAM, 320 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive and a 20" flatscreen. The other is a HP(pretty sure thats it, dont have my notes here with me for model #) that has a Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processor, 1GB DDR2 memory, 160GB hard drive, 22" flatscreen.
I know very little about computers. Will the AMD dual-core processor and larger hard drive on the dell make it faster to load and run programs vs. the other one? What does the dual-core 64xz processor equate to in Ghz? It will mainly be used for internet, photo saving and editing and some minor printing and amateur desktop publishing/graphic design. The programs I use most often for those things are Print Shop Professional and Adobe Photoshop elements.
Magruter
Posted 1/17/2008 9:38 AM (#294543 - in reply to #294534)

the HP won't be stong enough to handle some of today's programs. You need to step that up the dual core. The 3.0 Ghz processor is 4 years old. I wouldn't worry about the extra 2 inches on the flat screen unless it's that important to you.
What operating system does the inspiron have? If you plan to run vista you need at least 2GB of ram, which is much cheaper to buy and install yourself. If you do need to upgrade. Make sure the harddrive is 7200 RMP, it will bottle neck your whole system if not. But for $600 I think we might be able to do alittle better. Maybe
Magruter
Posted 1/17/2008 9:41 AM (#294547 - in reply to #294543)

I have yet to play with the vostro's. I've heard they are the low end model from dell but here's a pretty solid build for $600
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E4500 (2.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
MONITOR Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS edit
FLOPPY OR MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
MODEM & WIRELESS No Modem Option edit
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
castmaster
Posted 1/17/2008 9:59 AM (#294551 - in reply to #294238)

I guess I was mixed up. It's a EMachines, not a HP. And I forgot to say both come with Vista. I currently have XP and have heard Vista is slower, but seems like evreything comes with Vista now.
Magruter,
I'll look into the build you describe, sounds like it might be best to custom build than to buy a package deal?
Magruter
Posted 1/17/2008 10:50 AM (#294559 - in reply to #294238)

Start off with a package deal, then upgrade a few items that are harder to upgrade (processor/mobo). Then when you have the funds upgrade the easier (Ram/Hard drive).
Magruter
Posted 1/17/2008 10:52 AM (#294560 - in reply to #294559)

Also brent,
If you're interested in getting a mac. Check out the apple site refurb section.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=ho...
There's some nice computers in there to get you started.
castmaster
Posted 1/17/2008 4:53 PM (#294655 - in reply to #294238)

I think I found the best deal I'll probably fins at my price range:
Dell Inspiron 531s
AMD Athlon 64X2 dual-core processor 4400+
3GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Double Layer DVD+/-RW/CD-RW drive
320GBhard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics
19" WS FP LCD monitor with 5ms response time and 1000:1 contrast
Epson Stylus all-in-one photo printer, copier & scanner with memory card slots and PictBridge interface
$699
Should be sufficient for what I want to do shouldnt it? I was going to add a new printer anyway
sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 5:05 PM (#294658 - in reply to #294238)

I have an AMD Athalon 64X2 Dual Core Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It's a nice machine, plenty fast, and doesn't choke when cruising MuskieFIRST while downloading video from the Archos to the hard drive. I just wish I had a firewire plug added when I ordered the machine; I had to get a special mini card and wire for the machine to hook to my DV stuff.
ESfishOX
Posted 1/17/2008 10:41 PM (#294741 - in reply to #294238)

RAID is something to consider for disk drives. RAID1 with two disk drives protects you from a single disk failure. If losing data isn't a problem, RAID0 offers faster writes. Reads between the two are comparable. Faster RPM is typically worthwhile. An external drive is an option, but for me two copies of data or more is needed. I've been burned by CD backups. All it takes is not thinking once and sliding that CD across the desk. Potential bummer. It's easier to find RAID capable systems in a desktop. The Toughbook can have RAID in a laptop but it kinda pricey.

I don't have any issues with Macs. I do have a problem with LakeMaster and MapCreate under Vista much less Mac's OS. I have the programs working under Vista without vendor support, but XP is solid. Keep the programs you want/need to run in mind.

I buy Dell because I get the hardware support if ever I need it and they bring me the replacement part. Plenty of options out there. Advanced users could run Linux (I like CentOS) as their main operating system and use a product like VMware Server to create a Windows virtual machine for what has to be XP/Vista.

SpinningLizard
Posted 1/17/2008 11:29 PM (#294748 - in reply to #294238)

One of the most important things to consider is the upgrades. Most of the time they are not worth it unless you need it or have no computer knowledge. Ram is the easiest thing to add/upgrade and you can save tons ($50-$100) if you just upgrade it yourself. You only need to pop it in the slot, 2 seconds and even my girlfriend can do it now. Dvd drives are often worth the upgrade just because it is a bit of a hassle to change and then try to sell the old one unless you just add a second or third. The processor is the hardest to change, but still not bad. Dell is probably the best deals overall if they are running a good sale. I have bought a few for me and friends.

I just finished building my new one from scratch, but it is pretty high-end with just the graphics card being over $700 with a second to come soon. Almost any computer will do what you need, but be sure to add ram as that is like the pipe line of data and almost always the limiting factor. If anyone has any questions about the purchase or upgrading let me know and I will help you out, especially with deals. I spend much of my time looking for deals which is how I built a $6000 computer for around $2000. It can be seen here if your bored: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpmCsJb0mQ

Great places to find stuff is Newegg.com, Outpost.com or Buy.com.
Best sites for finding a deal on anything is Fatwallet.com and SlickDeals.net.
SpinningLizard
Posted 1/18/2008 12:21 AM (#294753 - in reply to #294238)

Decent deal on an external drive. One day only!

WESTERN DIGITAL® 320GB* MY BOOK™ HOME
EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
Preserve your precious memories with this ideal combination of
elegant, reliable storage and automatic backup features.

$99.99
after $50 off instantly

Offer ends 1/18/08, 11:59pm CT

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productde...
Magruter
Posted 1/18/2008 3:13 PM (#294852 - in reply to #294238)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpmCsJb0mQ
gotta remove the "."

Impressive machine, must sound like a jet engine on boot up with all those fans..

Why do you need such a beast of a rig?
Posted 1/18/2008 5:54 PM (#294885 - in reply to #294238)

I have a 3 year old computer that has an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ and 2.2 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM. The RAM is made up with two 512 MB PC3200 DDR-MEM. The computer is not that fast, would I benefit from adding another 512 MB PC3200? Could I even add 1GB PC3200? I have one slot left in the board. Any recomendations on what to buy?

Thanks for any help
SpinningLizard
Posted 1/18/2008 7:36 PM (#294903 - in reply to #294852)

Magruter - 1/18/2008 3:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpmCsJb0mQ
gotta remove the "."

Impressive machine, must sound like a jet engine on boot up with all those fans..

Why do you need such a beast of a rig?

It only sounds like a jet if I have the two smallest fans running at full speed.
Mainly for gaming, I mean working. I can run any game at full resolution (24" widescreen) and highest settings and it has pretty high frame rates. I am looking to get another graphics card ($800ea) and then nothing will slow it down. Oh, it will be good for working on too, new website, picture editing, and fishing video editing/production:)
SpinningLizard
Posted 1/18/2008 7:43 PM (#294905 - in reply to #294885)

You could add another 512 to make it 1.5 which is probably plenty for your processor speed. You could also just get two 1GB sticks and take one of the 512s (maybe bothif you get the below ram) out and you would most definitely not be limited by your ram which it is probably the limiting factor now. If you really want it faster though, time to get a new computer.

Very good ram deal:
2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 DUAL CHANNEL GOLD GX XTC C4 OCZ
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5436039
It is much faster, but should down clock itself to the fastest your motherboard can handle. I don't think the 4GB set would make any difference and your computer may not be able to handle 2GB sticks.
lambeau
Posted 1/19/2008 9:14 AM (#294957 - in reply to #294238)

anyone have a line on an affordable laptop?
doesn't need to play games, etc., just process video and pictures, and get me on the net through my wireless?
Lusox
Posted 1/19/2008 12:38 PM (#294991 - in reply to #294238)

If you have a Milwaukee PC store near you take a look at them. Their MPC website will let you look over what's available and prices. My last 2 machines have been MPC's and I've been very happy with them. The support is local and if you have a store nearby you just take it in and it's fixed right there. And their support has English without a weird accent for a first language.

Lusox
SpinningLizard
Posted 1/19/2008 2:27 PM (#295006 - in reply to #294238)

If you want a cheap laptop, watch for Best Buy to have one of the base laptops for only $449. I have gotten 2 now and they are pretty good for the price, just don't plan to do major work or gaming. They will be a bit slow for video editing, but it will get done. Be sure to upgrade the ram, it will be about $30 for 2 - 1GB sticks on a deal.

Another major thing with best buy is their regional pricing. Almost every time they have a computer here in the Midwest (WI/MN) for $449, it is $399 somewhere else. If you try zip codes in the flyer section of the website, you can find a state that has it for that price and most local best buys will match it. My two laptops cost $399 each instead of the sale price of $449 via price matching. Just bring in a printout of the internet flyer and they should match it. Start with a Chicago Zip and then work you way out west and then east till you find the lower price. Most of the time it will also be on FatWallet.com with a list of the cheaper zip codes.
djwilliams
Posted 1/19/2008 3:15 PM (#295016 - in reply to #294238)

I would second the pitch for the Macs. If you know a teacher they might be able to get the computer for a 25% discount as well. Very fast, and Itunes, IMovie, and Iphoto are simple to use. Easiest to learn. Just tried the last few days to burn CDs using Windows Media Player and it was gonna take 577 minutes. Don't know if I did something wrong but followed the directions to the letter. I burned 4 CDs for others on my new school computer (Mac) using what I had on Itunes and did each in about 3-5 minutes. I get so tired of my PC asking what I want to open everything/anything with. Mac does it automatically- too simple to use. Updates and defragging not an issue and new Mac laptops run Vista and most Windows applications according to what I hear from friends.

Good Luck,
Don
Magruter
Posted 1/21/2008 10:18 AM (#295301 - in reply to #294238)

This is a deal if your in the market for new computer, GET this! It has Vista which is a slight problem, but the specs are great the normal internet, pictures, videos, word processing.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwda3&cs=19...

Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz Desktop PC + 22" Samsung LCD for $709 shipped
1. Click here to start;
2. select "22 inch Samsung 2220WM Widescreen Analog/Digital Black LCD Monitor";
3. select "Dual Drives: 48X CDRW/DVD COMBO Drive + 16X DVD+/-RW Drive";
4. select "128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS"; and
5. apply coupon code "P$$270BWJ6JS2X".
Magruter
Posted 1/21/2008 10:23 AM (#295305 - in reply to #295301)

Lambeau,
Here's a nice computer for the price.
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=486490
have to worry about some rebates, but it's a laptop under $450 after rebate.

Also you can keep you eye on.
http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/PC-Computers/PC-Laptop/49.h...
For some other deals.
HaleDamage
Posted 1/21/2008 11:05 AM (#295316 - in reply to #294238)

I work with / on PC all day in IT support here at the KC VA Hosiptal.

There are a lot of good deals out there.

The thing I would look for is the OS-- Get XP for home or XP Pro if connecting to a network.

MS Vista is a resource huge and most inportant-- It's new enough the driver software is not available for some of the I/O units.. So you may have a problem interfacing some of the "toys".

Some places want more $$ to unload MS Vista and Load MS XP..

Also look at how much sofeware is included with each PC.. The darn software can get $$$

Just something to think about..

Have fun and take care.

Rick