Dream Trip???
Chasin50
Posted 1/14/2008 4:34 PM (#294080)
Subject: Dream Trip???

So, short and sweet, what is your "realistic" 5-7 day dream trip for muskie?
1) What Lake/River?
2) What is your goal? (remote northern experience, the Holy grail, numbers, spending time with friends, etc.)
3) What month?
4) Guided or unguided (feel free to mention a specific guide if you know)

For me, right now anyway, I would say:

I don't know what lake (reason for asking the question...)

Northern experience with decent numbers and a good chance at a hog, but not necessarily the holy grail

July, August or September

Guided - Once I figure out the lake, I will figure out the guide...

Edited by Chadster 1/14/2008 5:43 PM
whit65
Posted 1/14/2008 4:48 PM (#294083 - in reply to #294080)
Subject: RE: Dream Trip???

For me the Dream Trip has got to be a long one. A month would be it since we're dreaming here. Probably LOTW or Eagle, in a cabin on an Island. Say, the entire month of July. Dream on!
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/14/2008 4:51 PM (#294084 - in reply to #294080)
Subject: Re: Dream Trip???

Lot's of action lake with a slew of friends. Everyone is seeing & catching fish would be a perfect situation. Canada can be perfect some times but as remote as it is, if a problem comes up it's difficult to overcome in certian situations. Like driving the boat into a granite rock & killing your lower unit. Some place that can provide a challenge if you want a trophy as well as an easy go of it in a calm protected area, close to a town with shopping & a cool bar is always a plus.

Always like to see everyone in the game. Dinner on a big pontoon & some night walleye fishing & playing cards with the group is always a great time. Of course lot's of cold beer & a few cigars.

Not sure what lake/area can provide that?

No guides unless they bring their own beer & steak.
muskellunged
Posted 1/14/2008 5:00 PM (#294087 - in reply to #294080)

Rowtrolling the final weekend of the season on Big Sissabagama Lake - Stone Lake Wisconsin; and catching, videoing, & releasing a fifty incher. Why there? It's where musky-itis infected me as a child, and I have family on the lake.

Part II of my dream involves the same locale, only this version is on the 4th of July, and catching a fifty on a topwater at night off the pier. The photo off this fish will have fireworks in the backdrop when I hold it, and reflections of fireworks in the water as I release it.

Mike Witowski
tomyv
Posted 1/14/2008 5:49 PM (#294092 - in reply to #294087)

Dryden. So many options in that area.
Posted 1/14/2008 6:01 PM (#294095 - in reply to #294080)

Lake Vermillion, Spring Bay Lodge, anytime the weathers good and theres no one else on the lake.
ron f
Posted 1/14/2008 6:27 PM (#294102 - in reply to #294080)

a trip to texas for giant gatorgar!
dockboylures
Posted 1/14/2008 6:38 PM (#294104 - in reply to #294080)

AML in the late summer/early fall. All of their guides are great; mike, cal, herbie etc. I would be going for that one giant fish but wouldn't mind any fish here and there. Being guided is great because all you have to do is fish, but there is something about catching a nice fish without the help that really appeals to me so I would probably be guided for a day or two and then go without a guide for the rest. Another thing that I would love to do is fish (cast) St. Clair for a week or so with someone who really knew the lake well.
Derrys
Posted 1/14/2008 6:44 PM (#294105 - in reply to #294080)

LOTW the 1st week of July with numbers and one "big one".
esox50
Posted 1/14/2008 6:52 PM (#294110 - in reply to #294104)

7 days with Dick Pearson OR Doug Johnson and my dad. Can't imagine a better trip. I wouldn't even need a rod, just a couple pens and a legal pad to take notes! Seeing my dad stick the berries to his first 50" AND get it on film WITH Dick P or Doug J in the boat would be sensational!!!

Close second would be the Ottawa River/Ottawa River tributaries for 7 days guided by Marc Thorpe or Mike Lazarus. BIG fish trip.

Non-muskie trip would be 7 days with Larry Dahlberg at a non-US destination of his choice.
Kingfisher
Posted 1/14/2008 10:23 PM (#294150 - in reply to #294080)

Wow!!, We will be living a dream just like that. I am booking two days with Doug Johnson followed by 6 days at Moosehorn lodge fishing with Greg Marino and Linda Rice. My wife and Linda hit it off well at the show. We will be having a little tournement of a sort. Marino and I against the gals. The girls will be fishing from their own boat. (they dont want to lose their edge). It looks like I will be the biggest handicap in the competition as the other three all have bigger fish than me. I am already chompin at the bow line. Kingfisher
Jomusky
Posted 1/14/2008 10:37 PM (#294154 - in reply to #294150)

Bank account full of money.

Fish everyday of the season, May - November.
May & June in Wisconsin.
July & August on LOTW maybe try some other water up there too.
Fly in way up north to huge pike lake for a week.
September till ice up Vilas.
Ice up till end Green Bay.

Oh ya, I'll need a second boat that can take really big waves and weather.

Tell all my friends to come fish for free with me whenever they want.

It's my dream...maybe the first year I retire...then I will probably be too old to fish everyday for as long as I'd want to.

Opps you wrote 5-7 days.....LOTW July, fish with Doug Johnson, Frank Walsh and Dick Pearson, lots of money so I don't worry about how much gas I'm burning. Wide open for a whole week baby! Get a second LCX-25C and have both with the best map chips. A week in Mehsikomer's boat on LOTW would be second. A week on Mille Lacs with Lee Tauchen and/or Steve Jonesi would be third. A week on the Ottawa with Musky Mike. A dream week with Tom Gelb in Vilas in November but I don't think he takes anyone row trolling with him, hell I'd do all the rowing.

Sorry about any spelling.

Edited by Jomusky 1/14/2008 10:52 PM
thewal2
Posted 1/15/2008 7:11 AM (#294180 - in reply to #294154)

This is not a musky trip but could be just as good! you use musky tackle and catch 50 inch Pike, and a lot of pike in general!!!!!...it cost about $5000 for a week or I would do it in a second!

Great Slave Lake Talston Bay:
http://www.taltsonbaypike.com/

Check it out...look at the store! A bunch of Musky guys do this every year!

I want to go!

Tim
Hooper
Posted 1/15/2008 7:20 AM (#294181 - in reply to #294080)

From what I am being told by my trip cooridinator, I am going to live my dream trip this September. Family and friends (5 of us) going to AML for a week. 2-3 days guided, the rest of the week fishing out of a 621.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/15/2008 7:28 AM (#294182 - in reply to #294080)

Lazarus. One week in July and one in November.
Troyz.
Posted 1/15/2008 7:32 AM (#294183 - in reply to #294080)

It would be one of the following 2

1-Week with Dalhberg chasing sails, and marlins and at the end of the day sitting on the the beach at nite sipping on a cold one watching the sunset while it 80 degrees, and 11 below back home.

2-Week in Alaska fishing cod, halibut, and salamon.

Troyz
Chasin50
Posted 1/15/2008 8:34 AM (#294189 - in reply to #294080)

I have a few "dream trips" I hope to be able to take at some point.

Eagle Lake - August/Sept - AML - Half guided, half on my own
Mille Lacs - August/Sept - Guided
Georgian Bay - June and then October - Guided for a trip or three then on my own
Michigans UP Cisco Chain - Summer - on my own
Out East - October/November - Guided
Eastern Lake Erie - October - on my own
Lower Niagra - Oct/Nov - Guided
Thousand islands - Anytime - Possibly Guided, but more likely on my own
Some remote lake or cluster of lakes in the middle of the canadian wilderness with reasonable numbers and a chance at a hog - Summer - On my own.
Nipissing - early fall - on my own.

Just to name a few...

Need a longer life, and more $$$
john skarie
Posted 1/15/2008 9:17 AM (#294196 - in reply to #294080)

French River in Oct.

No guide.

Very fun place to fish, lots of unique structure and current.

Not to mention some of the biggest fish on the planet.

JS
bn
Posted 1/15/2008 9:22 AM (#294197 - in reply to #294080)

Hooper, be sure to get some of Sleds fish handling tips before you go!

I'd love to take about 4 mo off,, a boat load of cash and just go fish wherever the weather and bite took me...start in Northern WI in june, head over to MN for July, Aug on Lac Seul and Eagle, maybe long legged mixed in, back to MN in Sept...
c'mon powerball!
NateSki
Posted 1/15/2008 9:49 AM (#294199 - in reply to #294197)

Lac Suel
September or October
JohnMD
Posted 1/15/2008 9:56 AM (#294200 - in reply to #294199)

Already had a Dream Trip, Spent one week on LOTW with Doug Johnson and my son, Lost the Biggest fish I have ever seen and learned more about fishing LOTW in that one week than I have in 30 years of reading.

Now the true dream would be to do it again but this time net the beast

Hoop
Posted 1/15/2008 2:08 PM (#294233 - in reply to #294080)

Brad,

If Sled is too busy to teach me his technique, I'll watch some of the bad-Rex Bear tapes and learn from Rex's bobbled exchanges.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/15/2008 2:17 PM (#294234 - in reply to #294233)

I'm with troyz.....forget the musky, I'll take a week in Alaska chasing a true giant on the Kenai. Those fish could eat Louis Spray!
TimD
Posted 1/15/2008 3:35 PM (#294239 - in reply to #294234)

Eagle lake - AML - late summer, early fall...I've been twice and it's a great trip. I just haven't stuck a big fish yet but have seen plenty. A true northwoods experience....I love it! A few guide days with Herbie, Cal or Mike.

Lake Nipigon - summer time. I would use a guide for atleast one day.

McGregor bay - summer time, non guided

Bemiji & Vermillion,

Mill Lacs - July, August, Sept...guided for a few days

Georgian Bay - Summer/fall - guided for several days

Dryberry - summer/fall

Western U.P./Vilas county: I would love to take a month and just bounce around from lake to lake. There is so much musky water in the area.

Manta18
Posted 1/15/2008 3:49 PM (#294240 - in reply to #294239)

I take mine every year when we head up to LOTW for a week.  As said to me by Norm Wild, if that place isn't heaven, you sure can see it from there.  Just the most beautiful place in the world, awesome fishery, and a place everyone should experience once in their lifetime!
sledge51
Posted 1/15/2008 5:09 PM (#294255 - in reply to #294080)

Since we're dreaming;

Option 1 Musky, One week in NW Ontario off the beaten path with Dick P. on his 'pet lakes'.

Option 2; Midway island with Flip Pallot fishing for giant trevally.

Option 3; Dalhberg, anywhere and any fish.
JimLang
Posted 1/15/2008 7:12 PM (#294272 - in reply to #294255)

I head up to AML every year (some times more than once a year) and I'll stick with that. I've become very good friends with Steve and his staff/family. We typically do a hunt together as well, somehwere out west. Herbie, Danny, Rob M and I do this trip and fish together...great people, staff and family and I'll consider this a realistic goal to just keep enjoying friendships and learning a few new spots every year and build on...you know, a long term plan to grow on from year to year.

Now...a "dream" trip...I'd love to spend a week in Costa Rica (or anywhere known for...) big 100#++ Tarpon. Going toe to toe with these steroid packed muskies would be a "trip"...in more ways than one
Chasin50
Posted 1/15/2008 7:34 PM (#294273 - in reply to #294080)

I should have left the word dream out of my post... We are talking muskie Guys... I can name 100 places I would like to go to fish salt or exotic species... Lets talk Muskie trips!

Thanks;-)
ChadG
Posted 1/15/2008 8:35 PM (#294282 - in reply to #294080)

7 days on Georgian Bay with Jodi Mills
Looking for "THE ONE"
Late September or early October

Close second would be with Bill Craig on the Ottawa
Hoop
Posted 1/16/2008 7:59 AM (#294347 - in reply to #294080)

Troyz-

I'd join you on the marlin and to Alaska for the kings and steelies, but you can have the halibut all to yourself.

I've gone to Alaska 2x for the spring steelhead run (Yakatut- Situk River). As part of our package, we were given a day on the ocean halibuting. I would liken dragging a 250# halibut out of 200' of water as dragging a water logged queen size mattress off of the ocean floor. NO thanks!

We passed on our ocean excursion the second year and stayed inland on the river dogging bears.
PredLuR
Posted 1/16/2008 8:32 AM (#294353 - in reply to #294080)

Anywhere watching my wife catch her first....and see the addiction sink their hooks into her.