Sound Questions
MRoberts
Posted 1/10/2008 8:12 AM (#293224)
Subject: Sound Questions

Steve I have some questions for you regarding sound. Have been having some good discussions with Jlong and some other great sticks and the affects and properties of sound under water have come up.

I know back in the day you did some research with hydro phones and would like to pick you brain a little.

Specifically I know you tested lures, did you test any Bucktails, and if so what did you find for results as far as sound produced.

Also did you do any testing of above surface sounds and there propagation into water? I.E. how much of an affect could noises that happen in the boat have on the fish?

Thanks.

Mike
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2008 9:43 AM (#293259 - in reply to #293224)
Subject: Re: Sound Questions

Bucktails created a low level hiss from displacing water, but the blades REALLY made a ton of noise. Each blade type has it's signature, and they are not what one would expect.

The larger blades were not as loud as some of the smaller blades, believe it or not.

Noise from the surface was also louder than I expected. I'm doing another one this month, I'll keep you posted. This one will include video, too.
MRoberts
Posted 1/10/2008 10:09 AM (#293262 - in reply to #293224)

Thanks Steve,

How about live fish. Any research as to the sounds a perch or sucker makes swimming or feeding?

Also how about frequencys, did you or are you going to measure the sound frequecies, as there is some research that says the frequencies which fish can hear are limited to the lower range.

Thanks

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Edited by MRoberts 1/10/2008 10:13 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2008 8:30 PM (#293350 - in reply to #293224)

I tried to record the fish's movement, and got almost nothing. I'm going to try again soon, and see what the fish in my tank sound like, I guess. One thing for sure, no lure I recorded sounded remotely like anything alive.
Marc J
Posted 1/26/2008 2:22 PM (#296528 - in reply to #293350)

Probably going to get a few followup questions on this one - how about the sounds the electric motor makes compared to misc. boat sounds or bait sounds?