Flowage Muskies, are we missing out on big fish?
tuffy1
Posted 1/9/2008 7:06 AM (#292943)
Subject: Flowage Muskies, are we missing out on big fish?

It seems as if there is little or no talk about fishing flowages. I know that there are some that do (the Schweiks, Meyers, Justin, and others) but I don't think that many people spend their time on Wisconsin flowages (outside of the Chip) chasing ski's. Are we missing out on some big fish by not targeting these areas?

Why don't we hear of more people saying, head to the TFF when we tell them lakes to fish? I think that with all the water there, there are definitely some giant opportunities out there. It's different fishing since there typically aren't as many weeds for people to target and alot seems to be fishing other structures.

What are your thoughts on fishing flowages? Why do you target them, why don't you target them?

I know I spend a little time each year fishing flowages, but not nearly enough time to learn them well. With all the water out there there's sure to be some giant fish that don't see any baits throughout the year.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/9/2008 7:23 AM (#292948 - in reply to #292943)
Subject: Re: Flowage Muskies, are we missing out on big fish?

The Wisconsin River and it's associated bodies of water hold some of the biggest fish found anywhere. I have no doubt there is more than 1 WR swimming in those waters. Although it's been a few years, these flowages were my happy place for a long time. One of the best shots around for a pig. My fishing changed dramatically when I focused more on the river channel and it's associated structures(fingers,cuts,bars). Not only more fish, but bigger fish. I used many of the same baits but fished some differently. Bumping deep wood with a weight added spinnerbait and running heavily weighted Suicks and Bobbies were some of my favorites.These flowages/reservoirs have plenty of "manmade" structure as well that always held fish. Railroad berms to fish cribs. I'm sure there are some anglers cashing in on this bonanza , but not many. The newest "last frontier"? I don't know, but it sure would be a lot of fun finding out! Steve

Edited by Steve Jonesi 1/9/2008 7:53 AM
Oneida Esox
Posted 1/9/2008 8:02 AM (#292959 - in reply to #292943)

Sure there are big fish in flowages, but it is some of the hardest fishing out there. Hidden stumps, rocks, constantly changing water depths, floating dead heads and no map or GPS in the world can help you with these things.

I've tried to exploit these fish, but the risk just isn't worth it to me. Lost lures, wrecked props and lower units. We hit a rock or piling once that destroyed a prop and knocked the tiller out of my buddies hand and cracked on of his ribs! To this day I can not find what we hit! VERY DANGEROUS.

Also, I'm just not sold on the fact that the fishing is that much better than any of the other lakes.
MuskieMedic
Posted 1/9/2008 8:21 AM (#292961 - in reply to #292943)

Definately some biggies in the flowages around here, though as mentioned before they can be tough nut to crack due to lower densities, lot's of water to cover, and navigation hazards. I spend a majority of my time on river/flowages here in the Point area and the fishing has really improved over the past 5 years even. It's not uncommon to have 3-4 fish days during certain times of the year when the fish are quite predictable in their location and the forage they are after. When the skinny water bite it hot it is really hot as I'm sure Point could attest to. The toughest time of year for me on these waters is the really hot, low water level times. I'm starting to get into trolling more during these times and am really going to give it a good shot this year to boat some fish from the deeper channels during these times.
slimm
Posted 1/9/2008 8:28 AM (#292962 - in reply to #292943)

Joel,
Not as many weeds? Holy crap! When is the last time you were on the TFF? That body holds some giants. If only the muskies would make their primary forage pike between 12 and 24 inches........
tuffy1
Posted 1/9/2008 9:28 AM (#292981 - in reply to #292962)

That's what I'm talking about. I think it is the fact that they are tough to crack. Lots of water and lots of places for fish to hide.

I've never actually fished the TFF, so I'm not sure what they have for weeds out there, but just generalizing I guess.

I would think if you break it down and take it slow (boat and self preservation) you could learn alot out there and score some good fish. Is it just too time consuming for people to give it a shot? I might have to go stump jumping this year to try to learn some flowage stuff.

PP, I did the same thing when I was up there, even up on DuBay and Lake Wausau. great shore fishing. That's what got me to thinking about this again.

Sled, sorry if I disturbed the peace.
BigMo
Posted 1/9/2008 10:35 AM (#292989 - in reply to #292981)

Flowages aren't worth the time. I don't know where Jonesi is coming from on this issue?!

You're better off leaving them to guys like Muskymeyer, PP102, Medic and ME who have nothing better to do.

Nice post, Joel...........way to go

Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/9/2008 10:41 AM (#292990 - in reply to #292981)

There is no question, intimdation plays a large role in the lack of angling pressure on the Wisconsin River flowages. There are good reasons. It took me several skegs, props, transoms, trolling motors and hulls to learn this water. Just when you think you know everything, a stump, a rock, whatever, decides to find a new home. Without a doubt, the combination of little pressure, huge acreage, massive forage bases, endless structure and a pure genetic strain contribute to the capability of 50, maybe 60 pound fish. The productive areas change constantly, water levels change constantly, it's intense at times. But to me, there is nothing more enjoyable than covering miles and miles of water with all of this structure. It never gets old. I could image fishing the same 500 acre lake everyday would get boring, never the case on the river. There is no doubt flowages are special places with awesome capabilites. There is no place I'd rather fish, more or bigger regardless and our clients are never bored. They like to watch me break stuff.

Edited by 8inchcrank 1/9/2008 10:42 AM
tuffy1
Posted 1/9/2008 10:55 AM (#292991 - in reply to #292990)

So if one was to target a flowage for the first time, what are some things (you don't have to tell all the secrets) that people should look for. I would imagine like Jonesi and Medic have mentioned, river channels, bends in the river channels, areas that have submerged timber with these other elements.

What's the best way to learn them safely? Just looking for ideas. There are definintely a few rivers that I fish and love doing that. Just have spent limited time on a few flowages.
BNelson
Posted 1/9/2008 11:16 AM (#292997 - in reply to #292943)

I'm no flowage expert at all...been meaning to devote more time on the TFF (Turtle-Flambeau Flowage yes) for years but just seem to have limited time up north and usually end up hitting the lakes I feel I know I can score some fish on for the few days I'm there at a time...
that being said, I keep telling myself to get out there more, If I was smart which I'm not I would have gone out there this fall as the water level was super low in early Oct and there were many rock bars, etc etc that were exposed that I should have marked as they will most likely be under water next year...What I would do Joel is take large flowages and learn them in small sections, for the TFF for example I concentrate on the area closest to Fishermans landing and the not venture farther than the baraboo basin...what I would do in learning a new one is concentrate on the river channel and closest adjacent good structure, weeds, stump fields etc...some big fish in them no doubt and less pressure but I'm not convinced they are any better than some of the lakes we like to fish either...it boils down to a time thing for most of us unless we live near them to spend more time on them...don't worry about Sled getting his tighty whities in a bundle,he doesn't fish much anway!

Edited by MSKY HNR 1/9/2008 11:40 AM
Even the Losers
Posted 1/9/2008 11:35 AM (#293002 - in reply to #292997)

I suppose I could just PM someone and not look like an idiot to all...... But what is the TFF.
AFChief
Posted 1/9/2008 11:36 AM (#293003 - in reply to #293002)

The Turtle Flambeau Flowage!!?
Even the Losers
Posted 1/9/2008 11:39 AM (#293004 - in reply to #293003)

gracias.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/9/2008 11:45 AM (#293006 - in reply to #292943)

Joel, what is this shore fishing you speak of? I've never heard of such a crazy idea! Certainly it couldnt work!

In all seriousness, the major thing that I like to look for are currnet breaks next to the nastiest current I can find.
jonnysled
Posted 1/9/2008 12:46 PM (#293018 - in reply to #292943)

very dangerous ...
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/9/2008 12:47 PM (#293019 - in reply to #293006)

Not to be shameless, but there is no better way of saving your boat then getting with an in-the-know friend or guide. Current no doubt, is the leading contributor to musky location. The stronger the current, the higher the density of forage and thus muskies. The closer a large amount of deep water is to these areas, the more likely you are to consistently find muskies. This doesn't mean to overlook other areas as I've been pleasantly suprised with areas I didn't think were good. Defined current breaks like eddies, large rocks and fallen timber commonly offer the most consistent spots. Seasonal locations are present, but many areas hold fish year round. In addition, lure choices don't change much throughout the year. I throw big baits from day one and also catch muskies on jig and minnows in October...strange. Another thing that is nice is that big fish are likely to hang out in the same area. John Sparbel's 48" tiger was in the same place it was three years earlier when it was 44". I've since caught the same tiger which is now in the mid 40's three times in the same spot. The location where I caught my freak has since produced several 45" - 50" fish while the location where Phil and I caught back to back 49s on his wedding day has not since produced a big fish for us. Ultimately, all spots that look good hold fish at one time or another, it's just hitting the spots on the spots that you learn with time and covering as many as possible.
Oneida Esox
Posted 1/9/2008 12:56 PM (#293022 - in reply to #293019)

Really, Really, Really dangerous.

Also, I just don't think the fishing is that good.
L Spray
Posted 1/9/2008 12:59 PM (#293025 - in reply to #292943)
Subject: RE: Flowage Muskies, are we missing out on big fish?

Remember boys, the World Record came from a flowage!
bn
Posted 1/9/2008 1:01 PM (#293026 - in reply to #292943)

to me, we are talking about 2 different kinds of flowages here..Justin is talking more about a river flowage that is simply a dammed up portion of a fairly large river with lots of current..then you have the other flowages like TFF, Gile, Chip, Willow that fish more like lakes with not a ton of current and old lake basins and river channels...how does one find the best spots on the larger, lake types?
sworrall
Posted 1/9/2008 2:05 PM (#293044 - in reply to #292943)

I fish both types of water, and search out the smaller downstream lakes and reservoirs attached that get less pressure than the main. I hate the river sections, because I too don't have the time to carefully learn them at the peril of my rig and person; however I still spend time on them every year.

I really like reservoirs. I spend as much time as is possible fishing them, and fish places very few others bother with. Given unlimited time, I would be spending quite a bit of time on bodies of water that fill from one place, have a water control structure, and empty to another...
muskymeyer
Posted 1/9/2008 2:15 PM (#293049 - in reply to #293026)

I have written two long rambling replys to this post and submitted neither, too much information to try to discuss.
I wholly agree there are two types of flowages, large sprawling for the most part current-less flowages and the smaller flowages on our larger river systems that have defined current. Both types will hold impressive fish without a doubt. The smaller flowages are easier to learn just because of their size. Look for the best areas and start there, but do not count out any areas. The larger sprawling flowages are a beast to learn and can take for the most part a lifetime to learn entirely. The best way to learn one of these is to spend a day or two with a guide, concentrating on not only areas where fish are, but also where not to try going with your boat. The guides fee alone will pay for knowledge gained. Tell the guide of the area you want to learn before that day so he/she are prepared to fish it. I have had people tell me they want to take 3 hours in the middle of the day to learn a certain section of the flowage, not only to fish it, but to learn where not to go with their boat. If you are one to try it yourself take a small section and learn it real well and fish it at all times of the season to try and pinpoint fish movements. If in an unfamiliar area go slow and watch the depth finder. If you are on any flowages during low water be extremely cautious. The Chip water level has been very low the last couple years and has claimed hundreds of new hardware because of it . . . luckily not any of it mine.
Flowages are constantly changing entities and tough to learn on a few times a year basis, but over time some of the pieces fall together to help the puzzle look more clear.

Corey Meyer
muskymeyer
Posted 1/9/2008 2:29 PM (#293052 - in reply to #293049)

On the topic of smaller flowages. Maps are very hard to come by and in some instances do not exist with contours. This at times will make people shy away from putting their boat in.

Corey Meyer
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/9/2008 2:31 PM (#293053 - in reply to #293049)

I agree with two different types of waters however my tactics on a river stretch aren't that much different than an evil monster like DuBay. I tried writing an article on it once but confussed my simple self and went back to watching the biggest loser while eating an ice cream sandwich.
stugots4u
Posted 1/9/2008 2:48 PM (#293054 - in reply to #292943)

I fish the tff about ten times a year. I would rather be on that body of water then the smaller lakes in the area. I attack the tff in sections and work it that way. You can for the most part always find an active fish or two. But itfthe water is down, You are wasting time. I know for sure there is a record tiger and truth record fish in there. I caught a 44inch before thats had a bite mark 10 inches wide!!! Go figure!!!
lots of luck
Posted 1/9/2008 3:35 PM (#293069 - in reply to #292943)

Having never fished a flowage before or in the state of Wisconsin I came to Muskie First for some help. That was my first step. The next step involved throwing everything in the boat and developing a pattern as quick as possible. The flowage in question was the Holcombe. Here is a link to how it played out, from my question and answer session with members of this site to our results. I too was struggling at finding info or discussion for this particular flowage, maybe people are tight lipped or it isn't a premier fishery, but we enjoyed ourselves for sure. I cannot comment on big fish, but the future of the flowage was eager to eat.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37...

I fish Minnetonka almost exclusively, Holcombe was the change of pace I needed. Cannot wait to get back and try it again.

Jason Roberts
jonnysled
Posted 1/9/2008 4:17 PM (#293077 - in reply to #293044)

sworrall - 1/9/2008 2:05 PM

I hate the river sections, because I too don't have the time to carefully learn them at the peril of my rig and person; however I still spend time on them every year.

cause you're always hogging the back-side of that island! ...

oh, and don't bother buying a keel protector ... unless you want to buy a new one every year like i've had to do ... stay out of the river ... like stellaflue said ... it's very, very dangerous
sworrall
Posted 1/9/2008 4:25 PM (#293081 - in reply to #292943)

That stupid fish WILL get stuck someday, during league, I hope...
tuffy1
Posted 1/9/2008 6:16 PM (#293100 - in reply to #292943)

Justin, DuBay is what I was thinking of originally when I posted this. It's a big beast for sure. I've gotten a couple of fish out there in limited time, but those were luck as I was fishing walleye at the time. It's a nut I've wanted to crack for a while, but like BN said, it's tough to go to new monsters when you have some good holes at home.

I may have to hook up with one of you Hooksetters boys to start to learn that water.

Does current play as much of a role there? I would imagine in the inlet areas and outlet areas, but how about the bigger main lake areas.

A flowage that I've seen more current related fish would be Wasau Lake. I fish that like a big river, but DuBay I would see more like a lake. That coming from someone who has limited time on DuBay though.
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/9/2008 7:29 PM (#293113 - in reply to #293100)

Joel,

I fish Lake Wausau in a similar method as I do Wausau. I love both waters and both have produced 40# plus fish for us. Lake DuBay is a giant version of Wausau with less weeds and more stumps. I grew up fishing it with my Grandpa who lived on it and it is still a mystery in many ways. It is thrilling to see the weeds starting to come back as they were when my Grandpa owned Mosinee Bait and Tackle some 20 years ago. Wausau has a higher population density but is more pressured being right in town. If I had to pick one or the other...I don't know. As a multi-species fishery though, I do prefer DuBay. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/9/2008 8:54 PM (#293149 - in reply to #292943)

For me Lake Wausau was a 3-prop lake...got it down now.
Dubay cost me two skegs and I'm still learning...Phil helped with the north end, more comfortable there now.

To me, flowages are facsinating and challenging....there are spots where you may pop multiple fish off the same spot two years in a row and then not produce for the next two...As an example, there is one spot on Wazoo that I boated 4 different fish off the same exact spot with the same exact bait in 04. Next year same spot, same bait, same results. Next two years NOTHING.

The quandry becomes....there are TONS of great looking spots....say you have 8-10 that have produced fish...and you see 20-30 that LOOK good, but you've not tried yet....naturally you want to hit your 'honey holes' first...let's say now you spend a few hours hitting these spots and NADA...so....you try a new spot...nothing...Okay...Did that new spot get a fair chance? Obviously the fish in general are not moving since the proven spots were dead....

With so, so, many, many, great looking spots its like you have to force yourself to fish new spots first....but then that means blowing off your proven spots, and with only so much time that's hard to do.

This summer I randomly pulled up on a spot I always thought looked good AFTER boating one fish off a proven spot....I was throwing a homemade black on black D-10...was playing with black blades for the first time....after 8 casts I was retrieving and was just about to say, okay, enough of that experiment, when a 40'er ate it at boatside.....

So, flowages offer many, many great spots and you have to force yourself to give new spots quality chances ....
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 1/9/2008 10:23 PM (#293162 - in reply to #293149)

I plan on doing a considerable amount of trolling on the rainbow flowage this summer. Will let you know how it went come fall, or maybe not.

Pfeiff
MuskieMedic
Posted 1/10/2008 8:18 AM (#293227 - in reply to #292943)

Another bonus of fishing the flowages, especially Du Bay is the monster pike in there. This lake definately holds some of the biggest in the state. My buddy took a 44" pike out of there a couple of years ago and mid 30's fish are pretty common. The weeds are making a come back in some of the bays and back water areas. Current does play a big role in a flowage like this. Early and late season the fish tend to be pretty shallow, but come warmer months fish are out in the old creek channels that still have a noticable amount of current. These fish are using flooded timber, rock, sand bars as current breaks. This holds true for the walleye as well and I caught my largest walleye a 28" on a Depth Raider in the Sandy Creek channel a few years ago. A bit more on the river, I approach it just like trout fishing. I'm always amazed boating a fish from a really small area of sharp contrast in the current. The fish as mentioned by Pointer will literally be within a foot of whitewater in a bit of slack water from a single rock, stump, or dead fall. These spots produce fish over and over again and many times there are more than one fish in these really small areas. Shore fishing and wading are a great option here, because if your like me and have a Tuffy or other rig with a deeper bottom some of these areas are unaccessable otherwise. I miss my old Lakeland where I could float right through these areas. Call us river rats crazy, but there is a great fishery in central WI on the WI River that is getting better and better every year. The work of the local clubs has really helped a lot to educate anglers in C & R and their stocking efforts have helped as well. We owe a lot to Jason Schillinger and the Consolidated club and 12 Apostles club. If you are ever in the Stevens Point area give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to get you out. I do fish Oneida and Vilas a lot as well, but with the high gas prices I've cut back on the trips up there.
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/10/2008 8:40 AM (#293235 - in reply to #293227)

A lot of credit to Bill's Musky Club too. They are mostly responsible for the quality of Lake Wausau. I just wish they would start stocking some in Eau Pleine, can you say...best ever? Infested with little crappies, whitebass and suckers.
MRoberts
Posted 1/10/2008 8:52 AM (#293243 - in reply to #293235)

I have a love hate relationship, with Flowages. Lots of good stuff in this thread.

The thing I hate the most is, more so than natural lakes the fish can be everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. And also like what was said before a great spot one year can be horrible the next.

I always get the grass is greener syndrome because it’s easy to be fishing one spot and thinking man I should be over there, or over there, or maybe up there. Know what I mean.

I truly think that on many good flowages you could put your boat in at the landing and just start fishing shoreline and never be in BAD water. There is just so much GOOD structure on most flowages.

That’s why fish get big and that’s why they are VERY, VERY, VERY hazardous.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
muskymeyer
Posted 1/10/2008 9:09 AM (#293248 - in reply to #293243)

I believe the Central Wisconsin Chapter of Muskies Inc has stocked muskies in the Eau Plaine. Probably not a huge quantity but some is better than nothing.

Corey Meyer
curleytail
Posted 1/10/2008 9:36 AM (#293257 - in reply to #293248)

I think it depends on the area you are fishing. Where I live, flowages (I never think of lake Wissota as a flowage, but I suppose it technically is) have the highest density musky populations compared to the local lakes. I would certainly be missing out by not fishing them. If you live close to lakes that have great musky populations, then it might not matter much.

I agree with a few posters here. I have a lot of trouble boating or even seeing fish on the dark stained, algae bloomed water when they get hot in the peak of summer around the middle of July and into the early part of August. But, when the fish are shallow and eating, you can just about go out KNOWING you will have a good day.

Also, I agree with fishing stuff that looks good over and over. I caught my two biggest fish out of Wissota this year in spots that I had never caught a musky before. One spot I had never even really raised one, and that's where my biggest for the year came from. If a spot looks good, it probably is at some point, you just gotta be there at the right time.

curleytail
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/10/2008 12:36 PM (#293288 - in reply to #293257)

My brother just moved into a farm with 40 acres right by the Eau Pleine. I'm going to spend some more "family" time trying to catch them.
UPNORTH1
Posted 1/10/2008 6:59 PM (#293343 - in reply to #292943)

I have been spending more time each season on the TFF. It does have some monsters in it,, and many of the big fish caught out there are by the LOCALS who know how and where to fish it safely. Those fish don't show up in Pictures or posts on the NET. I will tell you this--you can't fish it effectively with a big heavy boat and large motor---unless you want to spend lots of $$$$ on repairs to both boat and motor. I have purchased a much lighter FLOWAGE boat for this body of water alone. For those who don't believe there are some huge fish caught out there every season---make some friends around MERCER and do your research---It's a TRUE LUNKER body of water. Next year--even more time spent out there for me. Good Luck and be safe!!!!!!!
Peaches
Posted 1/19/2008 9:44 PM (#295065 - in reply to #293343)

If I am not smashing my boat off wood, rocks, or concrete I feel like I am not muskie fishing. Flowages rule! If you are worried about the sparkly fleck in your boat, stay away from flowages. Busted skegs= big fish. I am a river rat and proud of it. Bottom line is if you are not fishing flowages you are missing out on big fish, but they come at a price.

Jeff
The Handyman
Posted 1/19/2008 10:08 PM (#295069 - in reply to #292943)

The TFF, Gile and some others are not that bad to fish, even for the first time. If you use 1/2 your sense and 1/2 a decent map, travel slower and all that water is very fisable. As far as the big(heavy) fish go, most flowages do have some heavy(weight) wise fish, but every season for me the heavist fish are still the suspendo's of cisco land. Sometimes several pounds for the same inch size.

P.S- Crab lake is still worse then alot of the flowages!!!!!!!
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/20/2008 12:08 AM (#295081 - in reply to #295069)

Peaches,

You are one dangerous man!
Peaches
Posted 1/20/2008 7:52 AM (#295092 - in reply to #295081)

Justin,

I would have to lean more towards not being very smart than dangerous.

Bustin props and skegs is just my way of trying to stimulate the economy.
Justin Gaiche
Posted 1/20/2008 8:26 AM (#295094 - in reply to #295092)

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet riding with Phil isn't very smart, but I like you and didn't want to insult you! And rumor has it, I'm not much better...or smarter.
jonnysled
Posted 1/20/2008 9:16 AM (#295100 - in reply to #292943)

approaching a flowage or river system i'm thinking about 3 things (water temp., current flow, and oxygen) depending on the time of year .... early i'm thinking about water temperature and weed growth not unlike being on a lake ... i tend to focus on stump-fields because the exposed wood has a tendendcy to hold warmth from the early days of spring and initiate the whole spring cycle with the tadpoles, and all the fish associated (watching smallies jump into a stump-full of tadpoles is cool) ... then throughout the year i'm totally focussed on moving water and sharp changes in direction of the channel (eddy pools and the like) we tend to only think about the eddies you can see without the ones down deeper that can't be seen on top but exist based on the channel turn and flow (not like a faucet ... lazy flow is still flow) ... if you can establish patterns off of this type of activity on the river segment you will find the 20 in the 80/20 rule ... live off of the thought that 80% of the fish live in 20% of the water and eat 10% of the time and then start to break down your water ... also get to know the channel and where it turns ... these areas should be primary targets because they hold populations of fish ... from there take a look around both with your eyes and with your electronics and understand the overall zone as it relates to that place ... be careful not to fish with your eyes but learn the system as if you are looking at it without water ... lots of times a river sucks you into the bank for casting targets when in-fact your boat could be on the spot or it could be behind you ... be aware of the channel and breaks and don't let the bank or stumps suck you in! also, the guy in the back of the boat needs to cast parrallel directly out the back of the boat and catch all the angles ...

from there is the "other water" ... certain types of vegetation grow in relationship to either wood or shoreline structure ... find out where these places are and fish them ... spindly grass vs. cabbage as an example ... i'm no botany guy but i have come to learn that different type of plants and weeds have more oxygen and attract more fish ... learn to find this kind of thing and then remember where and how you found it ...

finally ... baits ... the lateral line is more important on a flowage than clearer waters so use baits that move water either above or below ...

good luck and stay off my river!

Edited by jonnysled 1/20/2008 9:33 AM
Ranger
Posted 1/20/2008 5:51 PM (#295166 - in reply to #292943)

My limited opinion is that flowages hold BIG fish but you better be ready to invest some major hours on the water.

My largest fish, a fat 48" that surely went well over 30#, came from a flowage. I spent about 40 hours on that one fish; based on structure and current flow the spot on the spot on the spot was exceptional. There was no way a big fish wasn't using it as 1) staying just under, and out of, the heavy current and 2) a fantastic ambush spot. I knew that beeeeeatch just had to be there. So, circumstances required trolling deep runners WITH the current as the only way to put the bait a foot or less above the fish. (Trolling against the current didn't work; I achieved the depth but it was unnatural given the circumstances and so no soap.) On the 200th+ pass over that structure, with the current, she bit. And it was worth every minute of effort.

I invested similar time over other likely-looking spots with no results. That's the deal with flowages, in my opinion.

I should mention that in that flowage I boated a chunky 38" pike that another fish had recently grabbed from above, shook it, and let it go. Both sides of the pike had tooth holes that ran from the dorsal to the gut of the pike. That was 6 years ago and I still wonder how big the musky must have been to grab and shake that big pike like a rag doll.

Here's a great tip I learned from a cuz who fishes flowages - - when the water is REALLY low, like every 10 or 15 years, he cruises around and takes photos, notes and GPS readings on the exposed structure. When the water comes back up, he has the most detailed descriptions including photos of rocks/stumps/etc, and exact locations due to the GPS. Smart dude and he sure can catch fish.

Ok, enough from me. Except...."Go Methane Muskies!!!!" (At least one Yooper buddy will smile at that one.)
needa70lber
Posted 1/20/2008 9:25 PM (#295216 - in reply to #292943)

In all respects I feel most of the waters we all fish can be categorized as flowages. Glacier and reservoir lakes all have water flowing into them in one way or the other. People that draw maps, governmental agencies, science departments give everthing a fancy name. step back and look at what you fish.

look at LLL which flows to Teal lake which flows into the teal river, which flows to moose lake, moose lake flows to the chip and so forth.

Edited by needa70lber 1/21/2008 12:54 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/21/2008 8:35 PM (#295409 - in reply to #292943)

Due to proximity to home, I still do most of my work week fishing on WI River flowages. Seems learning an ideosyncracy or two of the one you choose, along with(as handyman stated) gaining a bit of confidence in navigational safety, will help alot.

One thing I find of interest, is with age, improving water quality, and an infestation of exotics, we are seeing alot more weed growth on the flowages where it used to be tough to find any. Each year, these weed beds are growing and new ones are showing up, which is very cool as it offers alot more opportunities for all fish and fishermen. While the milfoil invasion has caused turmoil in many inland lakes, displacing native veggies, it only provides more habitat for the entire food chain in an environment that may not have supported other weed types. The nice thing about flowages and associated dark water, is this newly arrived milfoil will only grow in select areas, and cannot grow deep and overtake the system as it can on a clear lake.

While most flowages in WI have peaked in overall biomass production for the most part due to age, there are some great opportunities, thanks again to improved water quality and also to local clubs and DNR for boosting or reintroducing Muskies to a system or stretch of river that was once void of them due to pollution.

Regarding the Big Eau Pleinne(I think Justin asked about it above), I was contacted by the central WI Muskies inc. club to see if our local club(Consolidated Musky Club Inc.) would be willing to help with a stocking effort there this past fall. Jerry Bucholz of the CWMI chapter made arrangements and bought the fish in October, and will attempt to continue the effort in subsequent years. If anyone from Bills Musky Club in Wausau or any others feel they might take interest in helping boost this system to a fishable population, feel free to contact me, as our current efforts(small clubs) are but a drop in the bucket out there.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/21/2008 8:39 PM